Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Clearwater/elk creek area

Anyone driven out to see if it’s freed up from the ice yet?

I see the meter station has a camera on it now that updates daily and shows open water. Wonder if it’s open further out west by the trunk
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Sorry can't help about the open water. but can you post the camera view link so I can see whats going on there, thanks
Old 03-29-2021, 03:00 PM

https://rivers.alberta.ca/

This is all if it. Find the river you’re looking for on the map. Get the app. It’s better. You can also create an account and save favourites so you can get all the stuff you aren’t looking at off the map.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:10 PM

app on my phone now thanks for the link
Old 03-29-2021, 05:39 PM

Hi,

The river breaks up quickly downstream of Highway #22 because of a number of terrace springs with Alford and Clearcreek major contributors.

There has been open water at Highway #54 for several weeks. More terrace springs upstream.

Upstream of that - no idea.

Don
Old 03-30-2021, 07:23 AM

Keeping track of the replies. I'm hoping to do the Clearwater/Elk trip within 1-2 weeks if I get frustrated on the N Raven.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:00 PM

Had to go look for myself on the weekend. We hiked the Clearwater in several spots around the trunk road and it was flowing low and clear the whole way. Elk creek flowing as well. Only saw it in 2 spots but it looked good.

Watch those overhanging ice ledges if you do go out walking the banks.

One thing I’ve noticed these past couple years.... the pools we used to fish aren’t there anymore. I’ve seen that river so low you could cross it anywhere and so high you’d be swept away if you dared to enter it at all.. Then when you come back after it calms down, the whole river has taken a new course through that big wide corridor. Even when it’s flowing through the same spots as it was before, the holes are gone, sometimes new ones appear, sometimes not. I understand why it happens it’s just left me standing on the banks scratching my head from time to time.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:20 AM

Went to the Clearwater River, where Cutoff Creek joins it, on Saturday. Super low, clear water until mid afternoon when melting caused turbidity and higher water levels. Some new, deeper pools (caused by scouring during last summers rains?) - a few log jams have been washed away. I suspect that 'anchor ice', when dislodged, carries with it rocks which drop off into places further downstream. This may explain why some pools seem to 'fill' and others are created. The most jarring change that my fishing partner and I encountered was the radical clear-cut logging that has occurred in the Seven Mile Flats valley and hills. WTF? In some areas, the forest has been denuded right to the river with no riparian zone buffer at all. Who was thinking that this was a good idea?
A fine day, nevertheless. One skinny 15" brown trout was brought to the net. Beautiful. But the timber harvest is off the hook!