Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Default New Wading Boots

Hello, so its been almost 7 years since i bought my last wading boot and it seems they discontinued my model a few years back. I am in need of a new pair and i am stuck between two models: Korkers Buckskin Wading Boot and the Orvis Clearwater Wading boot. Both are in the same price range. Looking for some feedback from anyone who has used either. Any feedback would be a help as I am having a hard deciding as both seem to have a lot of pros to them. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2020, 10:25 AM
Banned

No experience with either but I like the idea of the Korkers. Being able to change from rubber sole to studded sole, and maybe for the near future, a felt sole if you desire, to me there would be big benefits. Of course, the boot itself would have to hold up well.

I have limited experience with wading boots but there have been a couple times when I decided on the wrong sole for where I was. Soles are pretty light.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 AM

I have never worn anything but Simms and they have lasted me very long. I would choose the korkers for those 2 choices.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:32 PM

i have a pair of Korkers and love them. like the interchangeable soles as you can change them to suit the conditions or style of fishing. also on all my previous boots, the soles are the first thing to wear out and then time for new boots. korkers just change to new soles.

Mike
Old 12-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Chota Abrams with the non synthetic felt sole....if you can still find them.
Best gripping boot I've ever had...and I have tried many many different manufacturers.
The boots wore out...soles still good after 6 years of 35-40 days and many km on the creeks each year....so...over 200 days on the streams!

Replaced them last season with high end Simms with synthetic felt sole because I couldn't source the Chotas. The Simms are OK....but are expensive, heavy and the felt sole just doesn't grip nearly as good. Will probably screw in some cleats this next season.
Probably wouldn't go back to the Simms again.

The plus on the Korkers is the interchangeable sole...but...don't expect any durability of that system if you spend a lot of km walking the creeks.

Of course if you plan on fishing in the Parks, then felts will be a NO GO.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:00 PM

I had the Orvis Clearwaters. Lasted me three mild usage years. I tried using shoe goop and got one more trip and they basically fell off my feet.

My wife got me Simms G4’s with cleats for Christmas. Looking forward to trying them out instead.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Picked up the Simms g4 vibram boot this year. Great support and super comfortable on long hikes. Used them with the alumibite cleat and plan to try the hardbite cleat. Pricey though, hoping they last a long time.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:04 PM

Thumbs up New rubber

I have had many types over the years including less expensive and pricey.... the nicest wearing and lightest were the Pataguichis but neither the felts or the stickys made it past 2 years mind you I put 70 to 80 plus days a year on them .... which may be a lifetime for some ..... the good is that Patagonia stood behind them and gave me full credit which I spent on their clothing instead which seems to last forever...... I now have a pair of the light weight Fly weights vibram from Simms for creeks and days out of the boat and a pair of G4 felts for days in the boat and on the Bow.... Both have been great and show little sign of wear.... I love the felts for on the Bow as the felts hold well on the slick boulders however one must be careful on the banks as the felts suck on grass or mud .......
Old 12-31-2020, 05:29 PM

I would personally be wary of the Korkers - I puchased some years ago and they were great, but when I wore through them and purchased another pair the quality had gone way down, I was probably only getting 20-30 days out of a pair of boots. I've now gone with Simms and found them to be way more durable. I'd say their definitely worth the extra cost. My favourite are the G4 Boa boots.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Simms

Thank you everyone for your feed back. I went out a couple days ago and I was looking at the Orvis and Korkers. Both boots are made very narrow so I ended up buying a pair of Simms Freestone. They are a little heavier boot but were more comfortable and spacies then the other two. Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Thank you everyone for your feed back. I went out a couple days ago and I was looking at the Orvis and Korkers. Both boots are made very narrow so I ended up buying a pair of Simms Freestone. They are a little heavier boot but were more comfortable and spacies then the other two. Thanks again everyone.
Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will like them
You mentioned a point many of us missed...and one of the most important, and that is comfort of fit.

Yeah..they are heavy though...

Curious...did you go with felt or rubber?
Old 12-31-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will like them
You mentioned a point many of us missed...and one of the most important, and that is comfort of fit.

Yeah..they are heavy though...

Curious...did you go with felt or rubber?
I went with the rubber sole. Wanted to try them out as I have used felt for years and they always seemed to wear faster then guys with rubber. time will tell.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
They are a heavier boot but the construction is there. Good that they had the wide for you as I go through this also. My skates are EE !!!!

I always got 200 plus days out of my Simms and hence buy them . I recall when Gord Kennedy ( RIP) was running Westwinds I would buy a second pair when he bas blowing them out and just storing them till the current pair caved!!!!

Best of luck with them!!!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:49 AM

I am on my 3rd set of felts that I have changed out on my Simms Freestones.
Simms boots have been the most durable for me. Better materials and stitching than other companies
Old 01-27-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I had the same thing. Really liked the Orvis Ultralight boot... until I put it on. Far too narrow for my foot. Been extremely happy with my Simms G3 though.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I had the same thing. Really liked the Orvis Ultralight boot... until I put it on. Far too narrow for my foot. Been extremely happy with my Simms G3 though.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Boots

I had great luck, with the Simms Rivertec, and G4 boots.
Had one warranty issue which was handled very quickly.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I just bought a pair of the Simms G3. Great feel and lots of room. Made really well to. I tried the Orvis boots and they are made really narrow. So far i really am impressed with the G3.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:00 PM

I've had many in the past (Simms, Korkers, etc) and right now I'm wearing Redington Prowler boots. Like everything about them still and had them for a couple of years.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 PM

I've had the Simms G3 for 4 years now. Been pretty happy with the purchase.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin View Post
I've had the Simms G3 for 4 years now. Been pretty happy with the purchase.
that is money well spent
good on you
Old 01-29-2021, 05:00 PM

Simms have a wider fit which I enjoy but my friend with thinner feet found them to wide and went with the Korkers. My old Simms freestones were passed ion when I purchase my new pair and are still going strong. I like the option of switching from felts to cleats but I'd go with fit, happy feet make a big difference
Old 03-21-2021, 03:34 PM

I have a pair of Simms Guide boots in felt that I only use on the bow and they are fantastic! For other water bodies I have a pair of Korkers hatchbacks with multiple soles that work great. The aluminum bar soles are especially good for slimy rocks.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:52 PM

Default Cabela ultra light felt sole boot, any good?

Looking at the Cabela's ultra light felt sole boot, are they any good? Cost is a big factor at the moment.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:28 PM

For next season I picked up a pair of military surplus jungle boots. Light, good treads, high-laced for ankle support, and drain holes. The price is right and I figure the US Army spent millions on R&D so I'm going to give them a try.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:24 AM

Have in the past gone through several pairs of of Simms Guide boots, a couple of pairs of Korkers, one set where I lost both soles almost at the same time, resulting in a very uncomfortable walk to the truck.

Have now used Chota STL Plus boots for the last 2 years and love them. Leather, easy on and off, very comfortable (a joy for us older guys), great grip and price.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-11-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Have in the past gone through several pairs of of Simms Guide boots, a couple of pairs of Korkers, one set where I lost both soles almost at the same time, resulting in a very uncomfortable walk to the truck.

Have now used Chota STL Plus boots for the last 2 years and love them. Leather, easy on and off, very comfortable (a joy for us older guys), great grip and price.
Interesting. I bought the korkers interchangeable sole with the felt and rubber which is nice for areas you need the rubber sole like national parks. I ran them hard all summer and didn’t have any complaints so I’m surprised to hear that your soles popped off. Mine where the dark horse boots and I really enjoyed the lockdown support it had with the boa lacing system.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysellwithmark View Post
Looking at the Cabela's ultra light felt sole boot, are they any good? Cost is a big factor at the moment.
Those look very similar to a pair of White River boots that I just retired. Perhaps Cabela's rebranded the White River?

They lasted me quite a while - even to the point of needing new laces. One thing not mentioned here is to properly rinse and dry your boots between wearings. They will last a LOT longer that way.

I upgraded to Korkers because I got tired of slipping on the banks when I was using felt soles.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

Mirrors my experience exactly...see my first post in this thread.
Chotas are great.
Korkers interchangeable soles are garbage if you put a lot of miles on.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:26 AM

Been using simms freestones for several years and just recently bought a pair of the Orvis ultralights boots with vibram soles for a wet wading boot, haven’t used them yet but reviews were very positive on them. The simms have held up quite well too!