Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Bathroom Vanity

Can anyone recommend a place for a bathroom vanity other than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. here in Calgary? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 PM

I’m looking too think I might order one off wayfair. Heard good things will see I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 06:37 PM

I ordered one off amazon Same one sold in home depot was $500 more. Delivered from China. Arrived on a pallet delivered by Remier Express tractor trailer.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:38 PM

I'd look at that as a bit of challenge to actually make one. It's essentially a cabinet with a sink embedded in the top and plumbing running through it, yes?

My last bathroom got a standalone wall-mount sink (the best way I found to get a sink with acceptably large width proportions, and be high enough off the floor to avoid bending over all the time).

If I did it again, I'd put together a carcass of 3/4" baltic birch, high enough to be comfortable, with an unusually large drop-in sink sealed at the top. Inset slab doors on Blum hinges, 3/8" deep dado channels side & back for shelves & hidden dado for toe-board, rear dado-rabbet slab, upper bezel scored underneath with dado channel to hold left and right-side vertical panels and front skirt, ball-bearing drawers with one-piece face plates & dado-rabbet joints front and back, 3/4 oak trim on all exposed p/w edges. No nails or screws anywhere, except for hinges and handles. Brass quarter-turn ball valves on copper lines for local shutoff. Any appropriate faucet clamped into the sink hole(s).

Or something like that. I get so irritated looking at cheap particle-board slammed together with staples and pocket-screws, having tiny sinks 2 1/2 feet off the ground. But that's just me.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:45 AM

Costco
Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Ikea?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:29 AM

There are some custom cabinet makers on Facebook Marketplace as well, may be worth a look...
Old 03-03-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzcold View Post
I’m looking too think I might order one off wayfair. Heard good things will see I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
read the fine print on the Wayfair product descriptions. Many of the bathroom vanity bases are made of "solid + manufactured wood" aka particle board which is not a friendly material in a moist environment
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
read the fine print on the Wayfair product descriptions. Many of the bathroom vanity bases are made of "solid + manufactured wood" aka particle board which is not a friendly material in a moist environment
It precisely for that reason that I'm nervous buying something that important and expensive without eye balling it in person myself.

Seems like everything is junk nowadays .... I'd get a custom cabinet priced and it may not be as bad as you think it is.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:56 PM

The majority of all cabinets are made from particle or plywood core. Stuff from the old days was mostly all plywood core as well so saying cabinetry now is all crap just isn't true. It is true particle core does not like water, but why would you have standing water inside your cabinets or drawers unless something is leaking? it would wreck the cabinet no matter what its made out of. Particle core is far more stable then plywood that is why it is used most now. You are not going to find cabinets boxes that are built out of 100% solid wood, they would be astronomically priced.

There are tons of cabinet shops in Calgary, I am sure they would do something up for you as "supply only" if you want to install yourself. Also tons of small guys that do there own cabinet work that I am sure would help you out.

Support your local trades and at least if you do have an issue down the road they will deal with it for you. Good luck in getting service from Wayfair etc. if you need a replacement slide, hinge, drawer front, etc.

Last edited by Wes_G; 03-03-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:27 AM

Wes excellent advice, if you want high quality vanities or kitchen cabinets you need to build them from high quality wood, plywood etc along with a craftsman cabinet maker. If you want cheap particle board cabinets from Asia, try Ikea, home depot, wayfair etc.
I just cry when I see people throw out high quality oak cabinets, then replace them with white painted import junk.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:18 PM

There are tons of cabinet shops in Calgary, I am sure they would do something up for you as "supply only" if you want to install yourself. Also tons of small guys that do there own cabinet work that I am sure would help you out.

Other than the fancy fronts, you'll still get melamine faced hardboard, not a bad material in it's own right.

Grizz
Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 PM

Costco
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Other than the fancy fronts, you'll still get melamine faced hardboard, not a bad material in it's own right.

Grizz
Yes the standard is a melamine faced particle core, You can go with a wood veneer if you want but your core options are particle, MDF or ply. There are no other options out there.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:16 AM

Used kitchen craft for a Reno some years ago. Can’t remember where we got the countertops.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM

Just completed a bathroom reno in sons room. Bathroom fan is last on list.
Daughters is up next.
Wound up ordering from an ad on marketplace.
Got our colour choice, ours needing to be 33” finished. Quartz top, under mount sink, backsplash and . Dark wood grain for sons, light greyish for daughters.
Because I bought 2 $730 each.
Door and drawers soft close guides.
Very happy with quality.
Built custom .
If any one interested I can give contact.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:40 AM

Could you provide contact? thanks
Old 03-06-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Could you provide contact? thanks
Khoa 1-403-615-6798
Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 PM

thanks