Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 07:40 AM

Fishing was slow on Sunday. Lots of marks, just couldn't get much to bite. Landed a few , missed a few. But slow over all.

Tons of ice and minimal snow. Very easy to get around. No major heaves to deal with. Best conditions I can remember in many years for lake travel.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Popped my cherry on Cold Lake today. Beauty 27 incher. And seen some neighbors catch 2 beautiful burbs. Question.. how deep can burbs be caught? Laker was caught at 90ft today and the burbs I saw were at 40ft. Wanna give myself the best chance as Im only here for a short time. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I caught one last year in 93 fow banging a 5 1/2" tube jig off the bottom
Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Thanks. Here to hoping and another good day. Beautiful place.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Ya being 10 minutes from house to fishing is a blessing....sometimes we take that for granted....heading out today for a sit....peace and quit....maybe a laker or two

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Fishing was slow on Sunday. Lots of marks, just couldn't get much to bite. Landed a few , missed a few. But slow over all.

Tons of ice and minimal snow. Very easy to get around. No major heaves to deal with. Best conditions I can remember in many years for lake travel.
Would a small FWD hatchback be okay to head on the ice from the marina?
Old 02-23-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinpoe View Post
I can't speak for the marina side, but the PP side would be fine with that unit. Keep in mind the wind can make some pretty large drifts in a small period of time.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinpoe View Post
your good to go....

Old 02-23-2021, 09:01 PM

Default This past weekend

Wife and I fished cold lake for the first time this year, Fished in front of the marina Sat afternoon - caught 3 and had 2 more hits. Fished 9 hours Sun - 2 fish. Fished 3 hours Mon morn - 2 hits. 2 fish on silver castmaster, the rest on home made feather and hair jigs tipped with minnows. All in all was a good trip but a lot of hours for 5 fish 59- 67 cm
Mike
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I can't speak for the marina side, but the PP side would be fine with that unit. Keep in mind the wind can make some pretty large drifts in a small period of time.
mercy buckets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv
Wife and I fished cold lake for the first time this year, Fished in front of the marina Sat afternoon - caught 3 and had 2 more hits. Fished 9 hours Sun - 2 fish. Fished 3 hours Mon morn - 2 hits. 2 fish on silver castmaster, the rest on home made feather and hair jigs tipped with minnows. All in all was a good trip but a lot of hours for 5 fish 59- 67 cm
Mike
bit of a drive for me as well but going in with no expectations besides crushing through my backlog of audibles and podcasts
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM

Spent a few days this week fishing and pretty much as expected for this time of year, grind out a handful or so of lakers per day and enjoy the lake. Weather was awesome, lake travel awesome for the most part but had to pull a fellow out who got planted in some drifting way around Garnet heading north.

Quite a few came on set lines using the Konrad method with an egg sinker above a swivel tied to a single J hook. Big chunk of sucker tail seemed to be the deal. Need to tweak that set up a bit - very effective but to many fish take it to deep. Tried a regular quick strike rig as I don't seem to have issues with other species using that but fish left it untouched. Maybe to much gear for their mood.

In the end fun trip with good conditions couldn't ask for better.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:33 AM

a fish story...some fella caught a 32" er yesterday but upon reeling it up a huge mark came up from the bottom and hit his trout....an yup took line like no tomorrow....would not let go but after the struggle he only landed the 32" er that was chewed up a bit....if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would....

Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Not Biting?

We are out and marking fish. Had a couple chase but can’t get them to bite. We have tried tubes, buck tails, spoons and nothing.

Any suggestions?

We did get into one on set line yesterday but couldn’t get it through 8 inch hole. Atleast we touched it. ☹️Lesson learned now everything double holed today.

Thanks
Tony
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
We are out and marking fish. Had a couple chase but can’t get them to bite. We have tried tubes, buck tails, spoons and nothing.

Any suggestions?

We did get into one on set line yesterday but couldn’t get it through 8 inch hole. Atleast we touched it. ☹️Lesson learned now everything double holed today.

Thanks
Tony
Bites are coming off the bottom for the most part....90'-120' drops....areas that do this in a relatively short distance....fish it all...no rhyme or reason to what they want now....just mostly off the bottom or a few feet up.....

...….man I would have grabbed that laker by the lips and got buddy to drill right by my hand....if it didn't fit in a 8" hole....that was a pig!!!!

Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
a fish story...some fella caught a 32" er yesterday but upon reeling it up a huge mark came up from the bottom and hit his trout....an yup took line like no tomorrow....would not let go but after the struggle he only landed the 32" er that was chewed up a bit....if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would....
A few of use have hooked into him all ready. Feels like you hooked into a 20 ft log until it takes off and empties your reel. Next time I will be starting up my boat and following him so i can reel him in .
The big question is do you keep him or release him and let every one tell you that you photo shopped the picture.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:32 PM

Might not have been a bigger Laker !
Might have been a Big Northern Pike.
I have seen floating on the water and dead a large pike with a large walleye stuck in his mouths and it was the same size as he was .

This may explain the teeth marks.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Quite a few came on set lines using the Konrad method with an egg sinker above a swivel tied to a single J hook. Big chunk of sucker tail seemed to be the deal. Need to tweak that set up a bit - very effective but to many fish take it to deep.

Probably preaching the the choir but a circle hook is the answer to that problem. You’ll pin them in the corner of the mouth every time.

I like these for easy fighting fish that aren’t going to see more then 20lbs of drag.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Kinosoo?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Probably preaching the the choir but a circle hook is the answer to that problem. You’ll pin them in the corner of the mouth every time.
Going to try that thanks.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Default 2020/2021 Cold Lake Ice and Fishing Reports

Quote:
Kinosoo?...

Going to try that thanks.

If you haven’t used em before. Don’t set the hook. Let them take it and then crank tight on them. Once they swallow it they’re getting hooked and you want them to swallow it. Very rarely will the hook come back out without pinning them in the corner of the jaw.

Pay attention how you pass the line through the eye on them because one way sets the hook and one way will want to roll the hook out of their mouth. Some you can snell and some will have a rough spot where the eye is formed that will chafe the line if you snell it. If you tie a loop or knot on them you don’t have to stress how the line passes through the eye. It’s just if you snell or are running the line through the eye and around the hook like that pic of the paternoster rig.

Couple different ways I rig them.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
A few of use have hooked into him all ready. Feels like you hooked into a 20 ft log until it takes off and empties your reel. Next time I will be starting up my boat and following him so i can reel him in .
The big question is do you keep him or release him and let every one tell you that you photo shopped the picture.
I have never been spooled and if I do on Cold Lake well that would have to be one hell off a fish....here's hoping

https://www.facebook.com/groups/618825282289121

Alberta Fishing Pics on facebook has the story and who the fella was...the laker he landed looks like it got swiped by a grizz...

Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips.

We did finally catch one. I was fishing a herring just off the bottom with a weight. I bought up to check. On the way back down marked a fish at 30 and it started following my bait. I stopped at 40 and felt a bit of weight set hook fish on. It was a 3 pounder but broke the goose egg.

We fished till 1130. Using the method above with the herring. My son and I got 4 more bites but no more to the ice.

The fish that didn’t fit through a 8 inch hole I’m guessing is 15 pounds?? My son is still heart broken as that would have been his first lake trout.

Everyone have a great and safe last month of the ice fishing season!

Thanks
Tony
Old 02-28-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
If you haven’t used em before. Don’t set the hook. Let them take it and then crank tight on them. Once they swallow it they’re getting hooked and you want them to swallow it. Very rarely will the hook come back out without pinning them in the corner of the jaw.

Pay attention how you pass the line through the eye on them because one way sets the hook and one way will want to roll the hook out of their mouth. Some you can snell and some will have a rough spot where the eye is formed that will chafe the line if you snell it. If you tie a loop or knot on them you don’t have to stress how the line passes through the eye. It’s just if you snell or are running the line through the eye and around the hook like that pic of the paternoster rig.

Couple different ways I rig them.

So what I am getting is the best would be to loop and crimp or tie a fishermans knot, palomar, or similar on them? Where do you get your crimps? I'd like to order a batch even removed from this scenario and use on trailers for other rigs.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
So what I am getting is the best would be to loop and crimp or tie a fishermans knot, palomar, or similar on them? Where do you get your crimps? I'd like to order a batch even removed from this scenario and use on trailers for other rigs.
I haven’t noticed a difference in hookup percentage on loop or tight knots. I usually crimp 200lb plus leaders and tie the 30 and 50lb lines. I don’t currently use anything in between 50 and 200lb.

Those little 7/0 eagle claws on the top are all I use for marlin, tuna, sailfish etc. and usually for billfish I crimp the 200lb leader.
For tuna and bottom fish I was tying a uni but once all of my premade rigs are used up I’ll be using a tuna knot.
I’ve got some 5/0 and 7/0 mustads for reef species and usually it’s just a dirty paternotster rig with the double passed through the eye and the hook dropped through the loop like on that picture of the tusky. Quick and easy to tie and for how fast they get cut off on the reef it’s probably how I’ll keep doing it.

The big circle hooks are just for sharks and that one on 300lb mono is a hangover from a while back. I crimp mine on 600lb cable now although I very rarely use them. I don’t like shark fishing but if the tax man is taking my fish on the way to the boat and I’m upset about it I’ll drop a hook down for them.

I haven’t found any loop knot that gives me the strength I need so I can’t say anything except I won’t use them on anything. Everyone I’ve tested breaks lower then most other knots I’ve tested and they’re far from the strongest knot I know how to tie.

I don’t like paying the markup to buy my crimps locally so I usually get them off Amazon. I prefer the awg crimps and order them by the thousand.

I didn’t use circle hooks when I lived in Alberta so I don’t have any first hand experience catching trout and pike on them. However, I’ve caught several hundred fish with them here and they’re all I use when I’m not trolling lures. Even when I’m trolling live or dead bait it’ll have a circle hook in it and I much prefer them to J hooks.

Just let them eat it. If I miss a fish with a circle hook it’s because I didn’t give them enough time to get the bait down. Once it’s down they’re almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 AM

I'm on my way up this Friday. Will I need extension on my auger.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
I'm on my way up this Friday. Will I need extension on my auger.
Nope....20-25" is the most I have been drilling into but if your in tha back bays ya might need it for perch etc....if ya got it....bring it

Old 03-01-2021, 07:18 AM

Thanks. I don't have one.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM

Hey everyone!

A buddy and I are heading out Wednesday and Thursday and I have a few questions I was hoping to get guidance on.

I have been watching some of Mat Weaver's videos and really enjoy them. I see that he is using sucker belly. Where can a person find this?

Also, I was looking at using my summer reals which have braided line. I am planning on attaching about 5 feet of fluorocarbon onto the braided line. Is this correct or should I be using my other reels that have mono and attach the fluoro onto those? In addition, do people use a swivel to connect those two lines or just a knot.

I also have a couple jaw jackers so would be interested to hear how others set those up for rigging.

I appreciate all the help you can provide.

David
Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttKastt View Post
Hey everyone!

A buddy and I are heading out Wednesday and Thursday and I have a few questions I was hoping to get guidance on.

I have been watching some of Mat Weaver's videos and really enjoy them. I see that he is using sucker belly. Where can a person find this?

Also, I was looking at using my summer reals which have braided line. I am planning on attaching about 5 feet of fluorocarbon onto the braided line. Is this correct or should I be using my other reels that have mono and attach the fluoro onto those? In addition, do people use a swivel to connect those two lines or just a knot.

I also have a couple jaw jackers so would be interested to hear how others set those up for rigging.

David
Braid to a 10ft flouro leader is perfect. I prefer to connect my lines together with a knot. Less gear to potentially fail the better.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I haven’t noticed a difference in hookup percentage on loop or tight knots. I usually crimp 200lb plus leaders and tie the 30 and 50lb lines. I don’t currently use anything in between 50 and 200lb.

Those little 7/0 eagle claws on the top are all I use for marlin, tuna, sailfish etc. and usually for billfish I crimp the 200lb leader.
For tuna and bottom fish I was tying a uni but once all of my premade rigs are used up I’ll be using a tuna knot.
I’ve got some 5/0 and 7/0 mustads for reef species and usually it’s just a dirty paternotster rig with the double passed through the eye and the hook dropped through the loop like on that picture of the tusky. Quick and easy to tie and for how fast they get cut off on the reef it’s probably how I’ll keep doing it.

The big circle hooks are just for sharks and that one on 300lb mono is a hangover from a while back. I crimp mine on 600lb cable now although I very rarely use them. I don’t like shark fishing but if the tax man is taking my fish on the way to the boat and I’m upset about it I’ll drop a hook down for them.

I haven’t found any loop knot that gives me the strength I need so I can’t say anything except I won’t use them on anything. Everyone I’ve tested breaks lower then most other knots I’ve tested and they’re far from the strongest knot I know how to tie.

I don’t like paying the markup to buy my crimps locally so I usually get them off Amazon. I prefer the awg crimps and order them by the thousand.

I didn’t use circle hooks when I lived in Alberta so I don’t have any first hand experience catching trout and pike on them. However, I’ve caught several hundred fish with them here and they’re all I use when I’m not trolling lures. Even when I’m trolling live or dead bait it’ll have a circle hook in it and I much prefer them to J hooks.

Just let them eat it. If I miss a fish with a circle hook it’s because I didn’t give them enough time to get the bait down. Once it’s down they’re almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Can you post a pic of what the hook and bait looks like right before it gets sent into the water? I'd like to clearly see how and where the bait gets hooked. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 AM

Thumbs up

Nice afternoon out yesterday...caught 4...lost three and had multiple bites too.

Now here is the kicker...200' of water off garnet....yup...200' and just played in and off the bottom with a Len Thompson #2 spoon and just up from it a willow leaf for flash....jaw jacker had multiple hits with a 8" herring but only one came through the ice....I did try other lures etc but as soon as the spoon/willow leaf combo went down it was go time and fun too
The willow leaf is about two feet above the spoon and I think the banging off the bottom and disturbance and a little bit if any flash got them going....not sure but it worked

Had a fella and his son drop by asking what I was using as they were not familiar with the lake..awesome people from Moose Jaw..as soon as they left and went out to 150' and on the bottom using a buck tail they got thier first ever laker....he mentioned all the info he got was stick to 90-120' ish feet of water and to the drops and yet your hammering them in deeeeeep water....hey I drilled and dropped down the garmin....it showed lots of marks so I plunked my butt there....forecast is awesome this week

Old 03-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Nice afternoon out yesterday...caught 4...lost three and had multiple bites too.

Now here is the kicker...200' of water off garnet....yup...200' and just played in and off the bottom with a Len Thompson #2 spoon and just up from it a willow leaf for flash....jaw jacker had multiple hits with a 8" herring but only one came through the ice....I did try other lures etc but as soon as the spoon/willow leaf combo went down it was go time and fun too
The willow leaf is about two feet above the spoon and I think the banging off the bottom and disturbance and a little bit if any flash got them going....not sure but it worked

Had a fella and his son drop by asking what I was using as they were not familiar with the lake..awesome people from Moose Jaw..as soon as they left and went out to 150' and on the bottom using a buck tail they got thier first ever laker....he mentioned all the info he got was stick to 90-120' ish feet of water and to the drops and yet your hammering them in deeeeeep water....hey I drilled and dropped down the garmin....it showed lots of marks so I plunked my butt there....forecast is awesome this week

Always a good idea to hit different depths like that. Nice to hear it worked out .
Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttKastt View Post
Hey everyone!

David

Just read the thread as people have posted what has worked and not, where to go, ice conditions etc also touch base with Kim Grey...local guide...contact info in a few post too...he has all the supplies...good luck...seems they are a bit more active than last month.