Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Areas to Try Hunting for Whitetail

Hey all, I am looking for some new places to try. If not this year, then maybe next. My father and I have hunted Ministik for a number of years (since it is so close to my parent's place), and it seems each year we see less and less animals. I am not asking for you "golden spot", but I thought I might ask for some alternative ideas.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:51 PM

I’ve had decent luck anywhere on this map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7DD66DAB-2C4F-4EB2-8E1C-6613B50E13BA.jpg (18.3 KB, 349 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I’ve had decent luck anywhere on this map.
Hahaha best advice I’ve seen yet on AO.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg87 View Post
Hey all, I am looking for some new places to try. If not this year, then maybe next. My father and I have hunted Ministik for a number of years (since it is so close to my parent's place), and it seems each year we see less and less animals. I am not asking for you "golden spot", but I thought I might ask for some alternative ideas.
That's out by Camrose isn't it?

If that's the one, what I would do is check the landowner maps for Parkland county focusing on the river valley edges. Fields along those valleys are prime Deer habitat.

Then I would go in person and talk to any land owner that would talk to me.

Gwyn area might be a good place to start. Just be forewarned, land owners around there have had to deal with some real idiots in recent years.
They may be unwelcoming at first.
Best to just thank them for their time and walk away. If they see you again in the area they may be more willing to talk if they know you are not going to get pushy or nasty.
You'd be surprised how often that happens.

I haven't hunted that area in just about forty years now, but I still visit folks in that county every year. I've got relatives in the area.

I haven't been following the Deer populations down there but I see a few every time I'm down there. So I know there are still Deer there.
Unfortunately the people I know down there aren't likely to be able to help or they are avid hunters who wouldn't want to give even a poor spot away, in case it is the only spot left to them in a few years.

It's the same all over. I have seen so many spots become grande central station busy because someone spread the word.

No wonder so few want to say anything about where to hunt, unless it's snarky.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Love it when a first time posters asks where to go to get XXX. Instead of asking on an open forum for a spot why not ask a Q like how to FIND a spot. What your asking for its to piggy back off some one else's scouting effort instead of putting in the work yourself. You need to figure out how to do this scouting yourself. If you don't have time or want to send the effort then you might need to rethink hunting.
As to how to find a good spot.
#1. hunt as close to home as possible.
#2. Learn the species your hunting. Spend time on the web learning everything you can about their habits, food sources, ECT.
#3. Use Google earth to locate areas that would make for good deer habitat( I'm not a big deer hunter so I haven't invested the time/ energy to know what "good" deer spots look like)
#4. Scout spots and pattern deer for yourself in these spots you have found.

Instead of asking where to go. Ask Q like what do I look for on Google maps to locate possible deer hunting spots?. You get the idea
Guys might be more willing to help you, you will end up doing ALL the work and reaping the rewards of it and becoming a better hunter in the process
Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Love it when a first time posters asks where to go to get XXX. Instead of asking on an open forum for a spot why not ask a Q like how to FIND a spot. What your asking for its to piggy back off some one else's scouting effort instead of putting in the work yourself. You need to figure out how to do this scouting yourself. If you don't have time or want to send the effort then you might need to rethink hunting.
As to how to find a good spot.
#1. hunt as close to home as possible.
#2. Learn the species your hunting. Spend time on the web learning everything you can about their habits, food sources, ECT.
#3. Use Google earth to locate areas that would make for good deer habitat( I'm not a big deer hunter so I haven't invested the time/ energy to know what "good" deer spots look like)
#4. Scout spots and pattern deer for yourself in these spots you have found.

Instead of asking where to go. Ask Q like what do I look for on Google maps to locate possible deer hunting spots?. You get the idea
Guys might be more willing to help you, you will end up doing ALL the work and reaping the rewards of it and becoming a better hunter in the process
X2.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Pick somewhere close by so it’s easier to invest time into scouting and hunting is the best call in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Guys, why give the guy a hard time, we are all hunters.

How would you like it if those were the kind of responses you got every time you asked for help.

Looks to me like the guy is still learning. Isn't it in our best interests to help other hunters when we can or at least not give them a hard time.

Don't you think there is strength in numbers? What happens when we drive all the young folks away from hunting and we the only ones left?

Won't we be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to land use negotiations and countering the anti hunting sentiment out there?

I expect you see it as harmless fun, but try to put yourselves in his shoes for a moment.
You have a problem so you go to the only place you think might have some answers and all you get is snarky remarks. How would you feel?

If you must post something the very least you could do is explain why you don't give out such information.

I am really disappointed in you guys.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM

My advice is honest because in my opinion with whitetail I would rather hunt a so so area I have scouted and having a good idea on where the deer are. Stepping into a good area blind is a tougher hunt in my opinion

Not hiding anything and the OP being from Edmonton there is good options in all directions it’s a matter of either knocking on doors or driving to crown land and scouting
Old 11-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

How would you like it if those were the kind of responses you got every time you asked for help.

Looks to me like the guy is still learning. Isn't it in our best interests to help other hunters when we can or at least not give them a hard time.

Don't you think there is strength in numbers? What happens when we drive all the young folks away from hunting and we the only ones left?

Won't we be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to land use negotiations and countering the anti hunting sentiment out there?

I expect you see it as harmless fun, but try to put yourselves in his shoes for a moment.
You have a problem so you go to the only place you think might have some answers and all you get is snarky remarks. How would you feel?

If you must post something the very least you could do is explain why you don't give out such information.

Amen.
No need for negatives or shame. Dude's just asking, give advice or not, either way let's play nice.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Amen.
No need for negatives or shame. Dude's just asking, give advice or not, either way let's play nice.
Whitetails are everywhere in Alberta, including towns for that matter. Fair comment. You've got to HUNT them.

Grizz
Old 11-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I'd rather teach a guy to fish. Take a look at some of my posts in other threads I am all for teaching guys and will readily give out good hunting tips and tricks. Including finding places to hunt. But if I told every guy that asked where to go to hunt a critter all I have done is shown a guy where to find an animal. In not TEACHING him anything. Pretty soon all you will be left with is a bunch of"hunters" who don't have a clue HOW to find game. Which is probably the most crucial part of being a hunter. These guys are all aching the wrong question instead of give me a spot so I can fill my tag. it should be teach me how to find a spot to fill my tag. I'd bet you'd get a lot more responses and a lot less rude comments. And become a better hunter in the process.
I'm not about to have you a spot to shoot a deer/moose/Elk.....but I am willing to help you develop the tools to find those spots yourself. It's your not interested in that you might want to reconsider being a hunter.

I mentioned before about stickys for tips/tactics for each species. Might be a good idea to have those type of threads for guys to use as tools. That way we would actually be building better hunters instead of just getting upset at the where can I go to get my ***** threads. It's still 100% up to the hunter to put in the time / work.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Whitetails are everywhere in Alberta, including towns for that matter. Fair comment. You've got to HUNT them.

Grizz
That is fair comment. For sure it takes years to learn it all and it takes being out there, a lot.

We didn't have many Deer up here when I was growing up. I shot my first Moose when I was twalve but didn't start to learn to hunt whitetails until I was in my twenties and living in Wetaskiwin.

There I had no mentor but I knew enough about hunting to take it from there.
It still took a lot of years to learn how to hunt them with any degree of consistancy. I opicked up a few along the way, enough to encourage me and each one taught me something.

So I help others, new to hunting, new to hunting Deer or new to hunting this area.
In this case just a starting point is all that was asked for and all I could give. But a lot of time that as all that it takes.

I think it's more about encouragment then specific details. I know it was for me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'd rather teach a guy to fish. Take a look at some of my posts in other threads I am all for teaching guys and will readily give out good hunting tips and tricks. Including finding places to hunt. But if I told every guy that asked where to go to hunt a critter all I have done is shown a guy where to find an animal. In not TEACHING him anything. Pretty soon all you will be left with is a bunch of"hunters" who don't have a clue HOW to find game. Which is probably the most crucial part of being a hunter. These guys are all aching the wrong question instead of give me a spot so I can fill my tag. it should be teach me how to find a spot to fill my tag. I'd bet you'd get a lot more responses and a lot less rude comments. And become a better hunter in the process.
I'm not about to have you a spot to shoot a deer/moose/Elk.....but I am willing to help you develop the tools to find those spots yourself. It's your not interested in that you might want to reconsider being a hunter.

I mentioned before about stickys for tips/tactics for each species. Might be a good idea to have those type of threads for guys to use as tools. That way we would actually be building better hunters instead of just getting upset at the where can I go to get my ***** threads. It's still 100% up to the hunter to put in the time / work.
Fair enough but they guy isn't asking for a mentor, he does have his father I believe.
All he was asking for was a starting point in his search for a new place to hunt.

I like the sticky idea. I wonder why we don't have more of them.
Or even a whole new category of threads for tips and suggestions.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That's out by Camrose isn't it?

If that's the one, what I would do is check the landowner maps for Parkland county focusing on the river valley edges. Fields along those valleys are prime Deer habitat.

Don't think you'd be talking to anyone in Parkland County about Ministik or areas around Camrose Keg.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Fair enough but they guy isn't asking for a mentor, he does have his father I believe.
All he was asking for was a starting point in his search for a new place to hunt.

I like the sticky idea. I wonder why we don't have more of them.
Or even a whole new category of threads for tips and suggestions.
He doesn't want a mentor, cause he has one fair enough. Then either he or his mentor should have the skills to locate an area to hunt deer, and he doesn't need to ask for help finding a spot to hunt. Oh wait either he doesn't have the skills( enter a helpful bunch if hunters to help him build the skills) or he's lazy and wants some one else to do the work( re-think his hunting aspirations).
I am not trying to be rude and I believe you to be a stand up guy who just wants to help other out. My point is simply asking how to find deer is different than asking where to find deer. If I guy asks where he's either lazy, or lacking some skills needed to be a successful hunter. This forum should be willing to help the how to find question, but very few will answer the where to find question and it will be accompanied with a pile of sarcastic remarks, which don't help anyone
Old 11-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Don't think you'd be talking to anyone in Parkland County about Ministik or areas around Camrose Keg.
Okay so I don't know where it is. I was thinking Ministik lake up north of Camrose.

I don't know that area.
I do know Parkland county and it's not so far, only a half hour south. Or an hour to Gwyn.

I guess I'm too used to the north. An hours drive is nothing around here.
We go shopping in Peace River a couple of times a month and it's an hour and a half south. And I hunt around Caracjou which is an hour north of me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
He doesn't want a mentor, cause he has one fair enough. Then either he or his mentor should have the skills to locate an area to hunt deer, and he doesn't need to ask for help finding a spot to hunt. Oh wait either he doesn't have the skills( enter a helpful bunch if hunters to help him build the skills) or he's lazy and wants some one else to do the work( re-think his hunting aspirations).
I am not trying to be rude and I believe you to be a stand up guy who just wants to help other out. My point is simply asking how to find deer is different than asking where to find deer. If I guy asks where he's either lazy, or lacking some skills needed to be a successful hunter. This forum should be willing to help the how to find question, but very few will answer the where to find question and it will be accompanied with a pile of sarcastic remarks, which don't help anyone
So if he and his father do not have the skills, it's their fault?

Why would anyone assume he is lazy and wants others to do the work for him. I see no reason to even suspect that.

As I read his post I get the picture that he was asking for a starting point for his search, not an actual honey hole.

I have no issues with not offering where to find suggestions. But I fail to see how sarcasm of this nature does anything but bring us all down.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Why would anyone assume he is lazy and wants others to do the work for him. I see no reason to even suspect that.

As I read his post I get the picture that he was asking for a starting point for his search, not an actual honey hole.

I have no issues with not offering where to find suggestions. But I fail to see how sarcasm of this nature does anything but bring us all down.
I'm not saying it's their fault for not knowing. And I believe it's up to the hunting community to help give him the skills / tools to be a successful hunter.
I agree sarcasm does nothing good. But hunters Need to learn to ask the right questions. Op asked for someone to tell him where a good spot is, this means he either doesn't have the skills to find a good spot or he's lazy. If he's lazy he deserves the sarcasm( even though it doesn't help) if he doesn't have the skills then his question should be, "can someone teach me how to find a good spot to hunt deer?" This will help him become a better hunter.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:

No one assumed he's lazy.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'm not saying it's their fault for not knowing. And I believe it's up to the hunting community to help give him the skills / tools to be a successful hunter.
I agree sarcasm does nothing good. But hunters Need to learn to ask the right questions. Op asked for someone to tell him where a good spot is, this means he either doesn't have the skills to find a good spot or he's lazy. If he's lazy he deserves the sarcasm( even though it doesn't help) if he doesn't have the skills then his question should be, "can someone teach me how to find a good spot to hunt deer?" This will help him become a better hunter.
I believe you didn't mean it is his fault but it does come across that way.

About asking for a good spot, read it again.

He did not say a good spot, He said alterantive ideas.

His exact words were;

Quote:
I am not asking for you "golden spot", but I thought I might ask for some alternative ideas.
Some times I read things that aren't there too.
It's an honest mistake.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No one assumed he's lazy.
Good, then it doesn't belong on the thread.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg87 View Post
There are lots of natural areas and grazing leases west of edmonton.

Get Ihunter app and pay a few bucks.

This will get you some decent hunting spots.

Then next year, you can get permission on private land near by.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Okay so I don't know where it is. I was thinking Ministik lake up north of Camrose.

I don't know that area.
I do know Parkland county and it's not so far, only a half hour south. Or an hour to Gwyn.

I guess I'm too used to the north. An hours drive is nothing around here.
We go shopping in Peace River a couple of times a month and it's an hour and a half south. And I hunt around Caracjou which is an hour north of me.

All good man. I don't know all the areas either. Not by a long shot.

Ministik is north of Camrose, closer to Hastings and South Cooking lakes. Parkland County is Spruce Grove to Wabamun..ish.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
All good man. I don't know all the areas either. Not by a long shot.

Ministik is north of Camrose, closer to Hastings and South Cooking lakes. Parkland County is Spruce Grove to Wabamun..ish.
I was thinking county #10
I remember that being parkland county back in the day. Maybe they split the county.

It used to run from Leduc to south of Hobema and from Qwyn to Pigeon Lake.

See, it's been too long, I don't even know which county is which any more! LOL

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 AM

Default Mulies in the coulees/ whitetail on the flats.

This is what I’ve taught my kids from the start. Mulies like to hang in the steeper coulees and ravines. Whitetail will be found usually in the flat lands near cultivated fields. Hunt borders of farmland and lease land. Get a good vantage point and glass first 2 hrs and last 2 hrs of day light. You will see them. Then pattern them and fill the freezer.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
This is what I’ve taught my kids from the start. Mulies like to hang in the steeper coulees and ravines. Whitetail will be found usually in the flat lands near cultivated fields. Hunt borders of farmland and lease land. Get a good vantage point and glass first 2 hrs and last 2 hrs of day light. You will see them. Then pattern them and fill the freezer.
That's as good a starting point as any.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Banned

There’s that darn wind blowing again...
Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM

I am thankful for the helpful posts that describe a bit more about what to look for. My father is not the most experienced hunter (and neither am I), and so I am just thankful for some advice that is relevant to Alberta.

When I have talked to hunters I know, some have told me to "go out between 10am-2pm", others "get setup before sunrise", and finally others have said "whitetails will almost always be the last shot of the day". So I am just looking to see if there is some more consistent advice.

I got a buck four years ago in Ministik, but since then I haven't seen a thing. The problem is that when my dad and I scout in summer and early fall (before the snow flies) we find what we think will be promising spots, and then November hits and we don't see any animals. We even saw some doe when we were scouting around, but inevitably when November rolls around we don't see any animals where we saw all the sign and trails.

I want to get good at predicting where they will be, but Ministik has been tough, and I am not experienced enough to know what to look for in an area to have an idea if it could be or likely won't be productive.

So thanks for those comments that gave me some profiles to consider. Never gone up to talk to a landowner about hunting on their land, any pointers on what common expectations/considerations they may be used to?
I mean, I am well-mannered, but I am just not sure if there might be assumptions they may be used to making that I might have no idea about. If that makes sense?

Last edited by Mossberg87; 11-14-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Tags
whitetail deer, whitetail hunting, whitetails