Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Just a reminder to tag your deer

So I was dropping my deer off yesterday morning at a butcher in Calgary. There was a guy filling out his order in front of me. We end up around back unloading our deer at same time.
This guy (new to Ab, I would say Qc from accent) that was in front had his tag sitting on tailgate folded on wire not attached to animal, one hind quarter missing, no tail, no evidence of sex. The butcher would not accept it even though the guy said missing evidence was in garbage bag in truck.
Butcher then showed him my deer, clean, tagged, sex still attached and said thats how to do it.
The guy said he didn’t know about how to tag or what/how to leave sex on or that he aven had too.
Shout out to Ryan’s for sticking to the rules and sending guy to Calgary Fish and wildlife to sort out the untagged deer.
Not sure what happens but might not be good for other hunter.

Tullfan
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM

And people get mad when they ask questions and are told to go read the regs...

LC
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 AM

We have a massive issue people not reading or seemingly caring about the regulations. This wouldn't help with the latter but I've always felt that part of the Hunter's Ed should be open book where you have to respond to questions by navigating the regulations for the answers.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Banned

No excuse for not knowing the laws, I hope he loses his license for a couple years, give him time to freshen up on the laws.

On a side note, those chicken chit tags they hand out here are absolute garbage, especially when dealing with big animals like moose and elk. You tag it in the bush but by the time you drag it out you have the tag ripped off and have to rework the tag back on. I even heard a guy in the gas station brag how to reuse the tags, that sure ticks a guy off. There has to be a better system, like where you have to not only tag your animal but notch out your license.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Years ago I ran into another hunter had a chat, he said he helped two older guys load a cow moose into a van...I pointed out there was no general or draw season for cow moose there, showed him the regs. He just helped two poachers load a moose into their van. He was dumbfounded.

LC
Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
No excuse for not knowing the laws, I hope he loses his license for a couple years, give him time to freshen up on the laws.

On a side note, those chicken chit tags they hand out here are absolute garbage, especially when dealing with big animals like moose and elk. You tag it in the bush but by the time you drag it out you have the tag ripped off and have to rework the tag back on. I even heard a guy in the gas station brag how to reuse the tags, that sure ticks a guy off. There has to be a better system, like where you have to not only tag your animal but notch out your license.
I skin up into the hock of the animal (make a small pocket) and tuck the tag up under the hide after it’s affixed. I also put a twist in the wire before affixing the tag. Takes the pressure off the plastic portion. It hasn’t failed us yet!!

LC
Old 11-08-2019, 08:33 AM

poor guy sounds like a big miss understanding .

Last edited by last minute; 11-08-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Lmfao! Aaaand here we go again
Old 11-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Oh for the days of metal tags. I hate these ski tags. Pure garbage.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 AM

I can't feel sorry for the people that can't be bothered to learn even the most basic regulations. They are not victims, they are just lazy.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Lol, He actually said he didn’t know he had to do any of that. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.
Anyhoo. Ill see if anything came of it when I get my deer.
Tullfan
Old 11-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Yes the current tags are garbage, but it seems to be about making the tags as cheaply as possible, with no thought as to making them durable enough to not be easily damaged in the field.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Exactly my cousin got his bull the other day we had to go back and look for the tag it fell off a hundred yards down the trail. The old metal ones never came off unless you cut them.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I tag mine then tape the tag right to the leg before I drag the critter out- works great, but I sure like the old metal tags!
Cat
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I tag mine then tape the tag right to the leg before I drag the critter out- works great, but I sure like the old metal tags!
Cat
I have wrapped the leg with a plastic bag, and taped over it, to make sure it stays on, but that would not be necessary with proper tags.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM

I pick up a non res tag for Ontario and was handed a sheet of paper off a copier, she said cut your tag out of the sheet.I started laughing thinking this is the worst of the worst I ever seen.

The stores carry no tags, it's just gets printed off and given to you plus a copy to your email.

I got the sheet laminated as soon as I got home.250 bucks for a sheet of paper.i bet you lostsa guys will get there's wet or torn up.Plus it's really thin paper.

I do what ELK11 does that way it's protected much better.

JD
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Wonder if it was the same guy we ran into a long time ago in 416 when we filled our special draw bull tag. We had just started cleaning when he and another french guy rolled up on a quad (early in the morning with guns on the quad), and started helping my hubs clean it. One of them started wretching a bit while the other said to him in french "See, that's how it's done my friend" They were not the only ones driving around on a quad hunting before 12 pm.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Exactly my cousin got his bull the other day we had to go back and look for the tag it fell off a hundred yards down the trail. The old metal ones never came off unless you cut them.
There is a bit of rose coloured glasses here waxing nostalgically about the metal tags. They were notorious for not locking properly or people half closing them so that they could be reused and you could claim, "I tried locking it, must not have pushed hard enough"

And the cost to make the darn things would be outrageous. I have not had a tag rip or come off, bit of a pain in the cold but wrap them or tuck them under the hide.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
There is a bit of rose coloured glasses here waxing nostalgically about the metal tags. They were notorious for not locking properly or people half closing them so that they could be reused and you could claim, "I tried locking it, must not have pushed hard enough"

And the cost to make the darn things would be outrageous. I have not had a tag rip or come off, bit of a pain in the cold but wrap them or tuck them under the hide.
For every system in place there will be someone trying to circumvent it.
Personally I never ever had an issue with those metal tags but I sure have lost tags on walleye and white tails before I wised up and fool proofed them!
Cat
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Proof of sex is ridiculous. What a stupid rule. No person who poaches an animal is going to take it to a butcher!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Ontarios tag system

Sign in online. Print an 8.5x11 paper. Cut out tag roughly 3" x4" size. Notch date and time and month and attach to deer ear or antler...

We have 3 deer, one is paper zip tied to antler, other is paper tapped to antler, last is paper in a zip lock bag that we zipped tied to antler.

In all seriousness, what are they thinking telling people to use regualar printer paper.

Charge us 3.00 more and mail us the peel and stick plastic paper tags that we used to have...
Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Well, they work great on walleye! Why wouldn't they work dragging big game back to the truck?

Garbage is an understatement, how about a .10 cent ziptie and a plastic tag?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Lol, He actually said he didn’t know he had to do any of that. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.
Anyhoo. Ill see if anything came of it when I get my deer.
Tullfan
Sounds like he is old and Confused poor guy its Tough when age creeps up on you!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I I also put a twist in the wire before affixing the tag. Takes the pressure off the plastic portion. It hasn’t failed us yet!!

LC

I'm totally taking this, great idea!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Am I the only one who struggles immensely with these tags when it’s really cold out?

Last two tags I’ve put on were so bad from my shaking hands that I would be extremely embarrassed if they ever were checked lol.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Cold hands, blood, hair.

Yep a few of mine have been folded like a kindergartener did it. With one hand. Riding a horse.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:58 PM

So now, taking your trim to the butcher for saysage is illegal?

Or to get it ground?

Or deboning a quarter and taking it in to get jerky made up?

Or it always was?

Then probably all of us over our hunting carrears have broken the law.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:30 PM

Default triple check

I know a guy that legally got a moose tag after many years of waiting, shot it tagged it etc. They wrapped it in a plastic tarp up for transport and brought it to the butcher. Unloaded it rolled up the tarp through it in the truck and off they went home. Next day CO's show up and informs them the moose has been confiscated for not tagging it....hunter was in shock, they searched the tarp and sure enough the tag got stuck to the plastic....in the end no charges and no moose, but got to have tag soup!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Our tag system is horrendous. Tag and licence should be the same piece of paper. Cut the tag when you harvest your game and done.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
So now, taking your trim to the butcher for saysage is illegal?

Or to get it ground?

Or deboning a quarter and taking it in to get jerky made up?

Or it always was?

Then probably all of us over our hunting carrears have broken the law.
The regs state something about the tag remaining on until the carcass is taken to the place of butchering. I do my own but I take in the trim to get sausage made. I’ve never had a problem with showing my folded tag with my trim. I’m sure that this is iaw the law.