Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Default Tikka 3Tx----Savage 110

The Tikka 3Tx in 6.5 is without a doubt a very accurate rifle.In the field not so good.A couple of carries up a few hills in 412 and 414,at about 12 lbs,will have to dedicate it as a range gun.So I picked up a Savage Model 110 in 6.5 creedmoor at about 7 lbs,out of the box,accuracy was surpriseingly good.Of course you become aware of increased recoil,This a all roundfield gun,in stainless you can bang around in bad weather,and not worry about the finish.Looks like white camo next trip.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:50 PM

I’m assuming you’re talking about a Tikka T3x varmint? Because my Tikka T3x is nowhere close to as heavy as you’re talking.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Kinda surprised you had to walk up a few hills to realize a 13 pound guns is a bad idea for mountain hunting.

The Savage 110s are generally very accurate rifles. Being left handed I have and do own a few of them and never had one that would not shoot well. That said, I also really like the Tikka T3 lite models. Good shooters and actually lighter then your Savage option. If you have enough sheckles and want the ultimate Mountain Gun, check out New Ultra Light Arms. Pretty much my go to hunting rifle for the last 10 years.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:53 PM

I hope you enjoy your knew rifle and never stop doing what you enjoy.

The savage 110 is a very good shooting rifle specially in the 6.5,i have the 2 6.5s in the cred and swede and both shoot very well.

I have been shooting a 6.5 swede for near 50 years and just love it specially after I bought the tikka T3.

Sounds to me like you really love the outdoors and do it with pride and like I said before never stop doing what you love,so get out there and show yourself what you and the 110 can do.

Best of luck
JD
Old 09-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Default Tikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
I’m assuming you’re talking about a Tikka T3x varmint? Because my Tikka T3x is nowhere close to as heavy as you’re talking.
The varmint with 10 shot clip--Heavy as lead,Excellant target and gong gun.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Default Tikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Kinda surprised you had to walk up a few hills to realize a 13 pound guns is a bad idea for mountain hunting.

The Savage 110s are generally very accurate rifles. Being left handed I have and do own a few of them and never had one that would not shoot well. That said, I also really like the Tikka T3 lite models. Good shooters and actually lighter then your Savage option. If you have enough sheckles and want the ultimate Mountain Gun, check out New Ultra Light Arms. Pretty much my go to hunting rifle for the last 10 years.
Carried a Browning semi,all over nfld for many years--The ab "hills" not made for 12 lb guns.
The Tikka lite---Missed on that will have to look into it.Thanks.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Banned

Old 09-30-2019, 09:27 AM

I'm surprised, that you're surprised, a Savage rifle can shoot well. We aren't talking their low end model here.

Rinella seems to do pretty well with his 116.

It's always personal choice but why would you hunt/carry a rifle with a varmint barrel and a 10 shot mag?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Savage 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'm surprised, that you're surprised, a Savage rifle can shoot well. We aren't talking their low end model here.

It's always personal choice but why would you hunt/carry a rifle with a varmint barrel and a 10 shot mag?
I just sold a savage,same model but 30.06--No match for the 6,5 creedmoor,at med to long range.The target rifle excellant for open areas,oil and gas lines,blind hunting not much walking.Got a nice buck last year,270m,from a blind about 200m from the road.Dropped like aa rag doll,hornadys 143 eld bullet.When it comes to the foot hills thats another story,Thats the place for a light rifle.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I just sold a savage,same model but 30.06--No match for the 6,5 creedmoor,at med to long range.The target rifle excellant for open areas,oil and gas lines,blind hunting not much walking.Got a nice buck last year,270m,from a blind about 200m from the road.Dropped like aa rag doll,hornadys 143 eld bullet.When it comes to the foot hills thats another story,Thats the place for a light rifle.
Why wasn't your 30-06 good for medium to long range? Accuracy issues?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Default 30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Why wasn't your 30-06 good for medium to long range? Accuracy issues?
Yes,Just couldnt seem to get it tuned right.Coupled with the recoil.The 6.5cm savage,so far so good--have yet to try it at 400-500 m,See what happens.One thing for sure,the trigger pull adjusted well.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Default 110 Savage

The savage 110 in 6.5 creedmoor came as a package.I quickly realized the scope,did not realize the full potential of this fine caliber.I installed Bushnells Yardage pro 4x12x42.Groups were attained less than one inch,at the first go round.A dial for hornadys 143 eldx was installed.It did add some weight,But now with the press of a forestock button,range can be dialed.There is one disadvantage to a range finder scope,if considering,probably not generally know,or mentioned by the seller.At about minus 10c it ceases to function.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The savage 110 in 6.5 creedmoor came as a package.I quickly realized the scope,did not realize the full potential of this fine caliber.I installed Bushnells Yardage pro 4x12x42.Groups were attained less than one inch,at the first go round.A dial for hornadys 143 eldx was installed.It did add some weight,But now with the press of a forestock button,range can be dialed.There is one disadvantage to a range finder scope,if considering,probably not generally know,or mentioned by the seller.At about minus 10c it ceases to function.
If you are searching to upgrade from your bushnell features, check this one out...

https://youtu.be/Fw3ESuZkCig
Old 10-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
If you are searching to upgrade from your bushnell features, check this one out...

https://youtu.be/Fw3ESuZkCig
Just in time for the twooney challenge.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:06 PM

The op should write a book. He has some amazing observations
Old 10-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Default Scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Just in time for the twooney challenge.
Do you know if it comes in female models????
Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Banned

Bushnell yardage pro scope= Gen 1 burris eliminator
What are they on now? Gen 4?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Yardage pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Bushnell yardage pro scope= Gen 1 burris eliminator
What are they on now? Gen 4?
I have had the Busnell yardage pro a long time,I put it on the savage because it was,my next best scope not in use--With the 22-250--6.5 cm.For hunting I find to fiddle with it,In the field not really neccessary--I rarely shoot beyond 300m.These flat shooting hard hitting calibers sited in a inch or two at 100m,no adjustment neccessary,at 300m."Good" glass of course,one area for sure not good to compromise.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Banned

I have just picked up the T3x Superlite Stata in 6.5cm. WOW!

Only had her sighted in and shot three more groups at 100 yards, but I can do a lot better than with my 110 Hunter. It comes at 8.05 lbs with the scope, full 5 round magazine and the sling. I can’t wait to show her the outdoors!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07F0606C-88A8-44A5-9B02-27D2F85CF62B.jpg (17.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Do you know if it comes in female models????
If it's a 6.5 Creedmoor you are good to go!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Default high country

any feedback on the savage 110 High Country? The 6.5 PRC looks like it would be a great hunting Caliber??
Old 11-18-2019, 02:22 PM

Default 6.5 creedmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
I have just picked up the T3x Superlite Stata in 6.5cm. WOW!

Only had her sighted in and shot three more groups at 100 yards, but I can do a lot better than with my 110 Hunter. It comes at 8.05 lbs with the scope, full 5 round magazine and the sling. I can’t wait to show her the outdoors!
I too have a 110 savage in 6,5 cm,Took a while but at 100m 143eld-x got three shots into less than 1/2 in.Took a 6point wt in area 316 127m spine shot.I have the tikka t3x in hvy varmint--hvy for hunting,thinking about the superlite.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Will weigh in here (literally).
Been running the Tika T3x CTR 20 inch heavy barrel with vortex PSTII 25x scope and, yes more weight, modified bipod with 11 inch extensions.

Its not a light gun, especially with the target scope and Bipod on the front. 10 RND clip.. well only load 3 if you that concerned about weight. lol

Not sure what the issue was, but then we all have different ideas of hunting. Personally in hilly or mountainous terrain I would gain elevation and hunker down for a long range shot. Others might simply walk the same terrain and feel any added weight a lot more.

I'm an older fella, 150LB lightweight. Walked full sections of land here this season several times with no issues with my CTR even with the scope and bipod, Long and short of it, isn't this what shoulder slings are designed for?

Its actually worse calling predators if you end up having to carry or wear your seat along with an E-caller, more than the weight you only have hands to carry so much. E-callers aren't legal here for anything else than predators/pests so you prolly wont be lugging one after a corvid.

As for Savage, I own a Bull barrel 17WSM (yes again heavy model) and had that same scope on it. No issues with 300 yard shots on gophers. Quite surprised with the accuracy of the firearm for that price point, I did glass bed it and its a bull barrel, accuracy is excellent. To me the "press in" bolt and the BMag magazines themselves to me are the only downside of this savage, and you would not have these issues in a larger non rimfire chambering.

Last edited by Foonus; 11-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Rinella gets payed to do well with those 116's, pretty sure the paychecks stopped coming and he's back to using the custom Winchesters.

That said, I've never owned a Savage that didn't shoot, and while I'm not a huge fan of them I would be more inclined to purchase a Savage 110 over a T3 if I had only those two to choose from. The T3 is a serviceable rifle IMO, but the fact that they generally shoot well does not change the fact that they are a budget rifle, the price should reflect that but does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Rinella gets payed to do well with those 116's, pretty sure the paychecks stopped coming and he's back to using the custom Winchesters.

That said, I've never owned a Savage that didn't shoot, and while I'm not a huge fan of them I would be more inclined to purchase a Savage 110 over a T3 if I had only those two to choose from. The T3 is a serviceable rifle IMO, but the fact that they generally shoot well does not change the fact that they are a budget rifle, the price should reflect that but does not.
The T3x definitely has a better "fit n finish" to but I am comparing it to savages rimfire with the gimped press in bolt and bmag magazines so..

Ive had 2 savages so far. One pencil barrel 17WSM I got used that couldn't hold any grouping despite using every available rebranded ammo for that chambering, was terrible. Stepped up to the bull barrel model with boyd stock and cant ask for more in terms of accuracy for the money. Interested in selling my CZ455 due to that 17 savage being so much better at over 250yards. From personal experience would suggest the heavy barrel with this company as they seem to be night and day in terms of performance and accuracy , but goes back to you looking for a light firearm.

An Aside here.. 17 WSM.. only savage has license to make them and sadly no other manufacturer can make them. On top of that same issues with the ammo as well since they are basically all using the same ammo and rebranding it. Federal Golden Eagle was by far the best in my testing,probably due to a good batch so I bought 2 cases of them. All others had noticeable flyers.

Results consistent with this guy:
"Last week tried some Winchester 20 grain loads... lot code indicates July 2015 production. First box, 3 ftfs, one case neck split, one total neck separation - blew the neck down the barrel with the bullet. Surprisingly, 3 groups for this box (50 yds) averaged about .5"

Great potential but Ammo is defiantly the downside of the 17WSM, with the licensing issues with this chambering and its ammo I'm not holding my breath. Would love to see a Tika or CZ shooting 17WSM

Last edited by Foonus; 11-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foonus View Post
The T3x definitely has a better "fit n finish" to but I am comparing it to savages rimfire with the gimped press in bolt and bmag magazines so..

Ive had 2 savages so far. One pencil barrel 17WSM I got used that couldn't hold any grouping despite using every available rebranded ammo for that chambering, was terrible. Stepped up to the bull barrel model with boyd stock and cant ask for more in terms of accuracy for the money. Interested in selling my CZ455 due to that 17 savage being so much better at over 250yards. From personal experience would suggest the heavy barrel with this company as they seem to be night and day in terms of performance and accuracy , but goes back to you looking for a light firearm.

An Aside here.. 17 WSM.. only savage has license to make them and sadly no other manufacturer can make them. On top of that same issues with the ammo as well since they are basically all using the same ammo and rebranding it. Federal Golden Eagle was by far the best in my testing,probably due to a good batch so I bought 2 cases of them. All others had noticeable flyers.

Results consistent with this guy:
"Last week tried some Winchester 20 grain loads... lot code indicates July 2015 production. First box, 3 ftfs, one case neck split, one total neck separation - blew the neck down the barrel with the bullet. Surprisingly, 3 groups for this box (50 yds) averaged about .5"

Great potential but Ammo is defiantly the downside of the 17WSM, with the licensing issues with this chambering and its ammo I'm not holding my breath. Would love to see a Tika or CZ shooting 17WSM
I've had two 110's in .270 and an Axis in 223, my wife currently uses a Savage Lady Hunter in .270. All of them shot sub MOA with very minimal amo experimenting. I know Savage must make some lemons, but I don't think that I personally know anyone who has a Savage that isn't surprisingly accurate.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Other than some plastic underneath the 116 is a very good shooting rifle. Certainly not an Axis. I don't own one but I've shot one in 25-06 and it was excellent.