Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Default looking at buy a 17

what rifle manufacture should I look at , I don't need fancy wood or heavy barrel.
Synthetic stock would work don't mind spending 5 or 6 hundred.
suggestions are welcome , thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Which 17? There are several 17 cartridges both rimfire and centerfire. The 17hmr, 17wsm, and 17 hornet are likely the most common.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 PM

a nice 17 rem would work and be cheaper to reload
Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
what rifle manufacture should I look at , I don't need fancy wood or heavy barrel.
Synthetic stock would work don't mind spending 5 or 6 hundred.
suggestions are welcome , thanks
I have a Savage 17 HMR Model 93R17 BTVLSS and it is a heavy barrel stainless with a fancy wood thumb hole stock and I absolutely love it. It is by far one of my favorites to shoot. It is a very accurate gun, the thumb hole is super comfortable I never get tired of shooting it. Another thing that is really nice about the Savage is the Accu Trigger, you can easily adjust it to your shooting preference, I have mine set down to 2.5 lbs.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:07 PM

sorry a 17 HMR I have a 22 hornet already
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdandkl View Post
I have a Savage 17 HMR Model 93R17 BTVLSS and it is a heavy barrel stainless with a fancy wood thumb hole stock and I absolutely love it. It is by far one of my favorites to shoot. It is a very accurate gun, the thumb hole is super comfortable I never get tired of shooting it. Another thing that is really nice about the Savage is the Accu Trigger, you can easily adjust it to your shooting preference, I have mine set down to 2.5 lbs.
I have this gun as well, they drift a bit with a strong side wind but very accurate. Sighted in at 100 you can still hold on fur at 150 for gophers which is great for the longer shots.

Last edited by bobalong; 03-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 PM

I bought a Marlin XT 17 HMR last year, it's a heavy barrel but very accurate, it was around $500.00 with the scope at P@D. A few buddies have different models of Savages there good also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180321_202049_resized.jpg (31.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I bought a Marlin XT 17 HMR last year, it's a heavy barrel but very accurate, it was around $500.00 with the scope at P@D. A few buddies have different models of Savages there good also.
One of my sons has that model to, also very accurate. I don't think I have actually heard of a .17 that is not very accurate.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 PM

Default dridAMERICAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have this gun as well, they drift a bit with a strong side wind but very accurate. Sighted in at 100 you can still hold on fur at 150 for gophers which is great for the longer shots.
Very nice. Mine is the lefty version.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 PM

I have a CZ 452. Been a great rifle that has has thousands of rounds put through it. I put a Yo Dave trigger kit in and have a 1# pull. Cheap and easy kit to do. Trigger was decent to start with but I like lighter.

Have shot both Savages and the Marlins that my brothers have. Accutrigger was ok in the ones I've shot, bit gritty. Really didn't like the Marlins at all. Hard pull in the Marlins. The one I thought the saftey was on and it wasn't. They both shot well enough past that.

Go to a store that gas some in stock and see what feels best. They will all shoot well.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
One of my sons has that model to, also very accurate. I don't think I have actually heard of a .17 that is not very accurate.
Try a Mossbergh.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 AM

I have owned both Savage and CZ rimfires. I'll take the CZ every-time, not a lot more money, but more than worth it. Resale tells the tale, you'll do far better with a CZ if you decide to sell.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have owned both Savage and CZ rimfires. I'll take the CZ every-time, not a lot more money, but more than worth it. Resale tells the tale, you'll do far better with a CZ if you decide to sell.
x2 Owning a CZ gives you THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS with regard to accuracy, consistency, workmanship, value and resale opportunities.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 AM

If you shop around, there are currently some great deals on 17hmr ammunition. Prophet River had some on at under $18 per box. As with any firearms the 17hmr rifles have preferences for what they like to shoot. In your price range, I would be leaning towards a CZ rifle.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM

thanks for all the input. My 22 hornet is a CZ 527 , very nice gun the wood is too nice had to cover it up with camo tape to protect it love the set trigger.

I will take a look at some CZ's thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 AM

If you reload, I'd go for a 17 hornet. A lot cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
If you reload, I'd go for a 17 hornet. A lot cheaper in the long run.
^I almost said that, but having only recently started my relationship with the caliber, I'll hold off on it. Not the easiest to handload for mind you, but I'm getting good accuracy results at least.

Back to 17HMR~the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a CZ 452 Varmint, using Hornady 20gr. HPs. Under 3/8" @ 100 yards, factory trigger. I foolishly sold that rifle, and while I've shot comparable groups with my .223 and lovingly hand-rolled ammo, it only highlights what a factory rimfire gun, and factory ammo might actually be capable of. I bought that CZ having had marginal success with 2 other HMRs...both heavy barrel Savages. The only drawback to the CZ (if it is one) is that it didn't like the 17gr. ballistic tips which I knew gophers loved.

When I decided to get another HMR a few years back, I tried an older Marlin 917 HB (when Marlins were Marlins) and because the trigger was so bad, I gave it a fighting chance by putting a Rifle Basix trigger in. That gun prefers the 17gr, but I'll be honest...best accuracy I've gotten is 1/2"...it averages closer to 5/8"-3/4". Still sub-MOA, AND, probably more in line with what a rimfire ought to be capable of...so nothing to scoff at. (to me)

So...my advice would STRONGLY be CZ452 if you can find on...the holy grail version would be a 453 Varmint (Set trigger). Failing that, for availability OR price reasons...I'd be looking for another Marlin 917. They're out there. Also available in stainless/grey laminate..which is way snazzier looking than mine.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^I almost said that, but having only recently started my relationship with the caliber, I'll hold off on it. Not the easiest to handload for mind you, but I'm getting good accuracy results at least.

Back to 17HMR~the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a CZ 452 Varmint, using Hornady 20gr. HPs. Under 3/8" @ 100 yards, factory trigger. I foolishly sold that rifle, and while I've shot comparable groups with my .223 and lovingly hand-rolled ammo, it only highlights what a factory rimfire gun, and factory ammo might actually be capable of. I bought that CZ having had marginal success with 2 other HMRs...both heavy barrel Savages. The only drawback to the CZ (if it is one) is that it didn't like the 17gr. ballistic tips which I knew gophers loved.

When I decided to get another HMR a few years back, I tried an older Marlin 917 HB (when Marlins were Marlins) and because the trigger was so bad, I gave it a fighting chance by putting a Rifle Basix trigger in. That gun prefers the 17gr, but I'll be honest...best accuracy I've gotten is 1/2"...it averages closer to 5/8"-3/4". Still sub-MOA, AND, probably more in line with what a rimfire ought to be capable of...so nothing to scoff at. (to me)

So...my advice would STRONGLY be CZ452 if you can find on...the holy grail version would be a 453 Varmint (Set trigger). Failing that, for availability OR price reasons...I'd be looking for another Marlin 917. They're out there. Also available in stainless/grey laminate..which is way snazzier looking than mine.
On the Hornet, try a full case of H322 under either the 20 or 25 gr bullet.

As for the rimfire, the 453 american is a very very nice rifle to handle. A bit nice than the Varmint if you're shooting without any kind of support.