Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
So the retailer will keep just our name on file? Or the purchase info too?

Smells like a back-door registry.
I think they already keep everything. But yes and it seems like the government has the right to get Thoes records when ever. Like I said on the other thread I bet it melds into personal sales aswell.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Can someone translate the section on the ending of the long gun registry? A couple of sections that are being repealed, that may change our world?
Maybe my aluminium foil deflector beanie is a little tight, but some of that looks like the Liberals know damn well that there are still copies of the long gun registry data out there and are giving the RCMP a 'get out of jail free' card.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM

It's so disheartening to see this stupid fix-nothing legislation being tabled, no doubt it'll pass too, what with the zero checks the Liberals have on them given their majority.

Anyways, glad I joined a firearms rights org, and I will make calls and write letters to express what I can. I'd also join a protest march if that was organized. It's a small step, but totally useless to deter crime, it only makes our lives more difficult.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:43 PM

The legislation was meant to appear as not much changed.
What did change is the way they can classify and reclassify a firearm with no more approval then the RCMP Firearms Inspector with no over watch or recourse.
This leaves the door open for restricting and prohibiting any firearm they deem. Such as deeming any semi auto from non restricted to restricted and or prohibited.

The good old destraction trick.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
The legislation was meant to appear as not much changed.
What did change is the way they can classify and reclassify a firearm with no more approval then the RCMP Firearms Inspector with no over watch or recourse.
This leaves the door open for restricting and prohibiting any firearm they deem. Such as deeming any semi auto from non restricted to restricted and or prohibited.

The good old destraction trick.
It doesn’t give the RCMP the ability to reclassify anything they want. And when classifying a new firearm, they still have to follow the same set of standards laid out in the Firearms Act.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Looks like more of the same to me....
Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 PM

CCFR Lawyer Michael Loberg posted this on Facebook.

Mystery Prohibited license - 12(9)

Concerns Regarding the New 12(9) Class of Licence

The CZ and SAN rifles were previously non-restricted until the RCMP unilaterally declared them to be prohibited. The Conservative government responded to citizen outrage and (among other things) amended the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted to force these firearms back to being non-restricted by regulation (the “Non-restricted Amendment”).

Bill C-71 will remove the Non-restricted Amendment, putting the CZ and SAN rifles back into the prohibited category.

Bill C-71 also creates “grandfathering” provisions for these specific rifles. In particular:

1. The CZ rifles listed in the new section 11 of the Firearms Act will be grandfathered by a new class of prohibited licence under section 12(10) of the Firearms Act (the “12(10) Licence”).

2. The SAN rifles listed in the new section 14 of the Firearms Act will be grandfathered by a new class of prohibited licence under section 12(13) of the Firearms Act (the “12(13) Licence”).

3. Both the 12(10) Licence and the 12(13) Licence categories a firearms are not expressly prohibited from being granted ATTs for shooting purposes, however whether or not the CFOs will issue ATTs for these firearms as a matter of their discretion remains to be seen.

As a separate matter, and it is a separate matter from the CZ and SAN rifles treatment, a new “mystery” class of prohibited licence is created under section 12(9) of the Firearms Act (the “12(9) Licence”). This class of licence authorizes an individual to possess prohibited firearms of a “prescribed class” under certain conditions, but nowhere is it yet disclosed as to what is going to be written into that “prescribed class” by way of future regulation.

Because the newly-created 12(9) Licence class is unrelated to the other amendments to the Firearms Act or the firearms specifically dealt with by these amendments, the fact that it exists is clear evidence of an intention that the RCMP and the government have the ability to grandfather further classes of newly-prohibited firearms.

As to the ATTs for the affected guns, under the proposed amendments:

1. Restricted-class ATTs for target shooting are still automatic under section 19(2.1);

2. Prohibited-class 12(6.1) firearms (short and small pistols) for target shooting are automatic under section 19(2.3);

3. Other prohibited-class firearms are the subject of discretionary ATTs under section 19(1), modified by subsections 1.1 and 2 as follows:

a. Subsections 1.1 requires that (subject to an exception) if a discretionary ATT is granted for target shooting purposes for any prohibited firearms, it must include all ranges in the province, a “whole province” requirement. The exception is for 12(9), 12(10) and 12(13) licences, which are excluded from this whole province requirement;

b. Subsection 2 eliminates target shooting as an option for an ATT for prohibited firearms except for:
i. Prohibited class 12(6.1) firearms (short and small pistols); and
ii. 12(9), 12(10) and 12(13) licences.

Accordingly, CZ and SAN rifles can notionally still be the subject of discretionary ATTs. Whether or not ATT’s will actually be granted remains to be seen.

Prohibited class 12(6.1) firearms will continue to be legal for, and ATTs issued regarding, target shooting.

This leaves the newly-created 12(9) Licence class, which being in respect of an unknown and potentially undecided list of prohibited-class firearms, may have a discretionary ATT issued for target shooting, but without the automatic “whole province” requirement.

Unfortunately, the Liberal government and the RCMP have not disclosed to us what it is that they intend to newly make into a prohibited-class of firearm, so as to populate this newly created 12(9) Licence class.

Obviously must be of great concern to firearm owners.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
What is to prevent someone from taking a pic of the book which is usually left on the counter and getting PAL numbers and addresses and the like. Pretty easy to do with current smart phones, and someone could likely sell that info. Not difficult for local police to develop their own database that way , either.
PAL numbers can be used for private non face to face transactions, and even if called in, would come up valid. And there certainly could, also be a market for the books themselves these days, in order to do just that. And some bad intentioned entrepreneur could easily hack most stores data systems to get anything recorded online in the store system. They should be setting security standards for it as well, don't see anything mentioned there. Not that I wish that on the store owners, but, there are likely some pretty popular places that have some bad storage practices when it comes to data.
If you ever see a ledger left out on the counter, speak to the manager. Its probably just an accident but it is also a failure to insure privacy.