Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I Like a truck with engine that can go 1,000,000 km with out any major problems. My 2001 dodge ram is a 360,000km and just nicely warming up. At Suncor Ft Mac we had Union boys that could destroy new Fords in 6 months.
Bahahahaha I doubt very many people in Alberta keep a truck passed 200000km never mind 1000000km. I don’t care what make or model it is if it lasts to 200000km you probably got one of the good ones and if you take care of it it will keep running.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM

I’ve owned 2010 f150, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 and a 2012 dodge 1500, dodge cost me the least upfront and in repairs...just bought a brand new 2017 ram 1500 for a good price. I’m a dodge guy but don’t do any serious work or towing with my trucks. Couple mild logging roads here and their and some light towing.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I Like a truck with engine that can go 1,000,000 km with out any major problems. My 2001 dodge ram is a 360,000km and just nicely warming up. At Suncor Ft Mac we had Union boys that could destroy new Fords in 6 months.
I’m sure its not relevant to the union, there is bad employees that wreck stuff everywhere,,,,,there is good and bad trucks made by every make and brand, you will roll the dice with any of them. Check out what makes you comfortable. I dont like the seats in a chev, they make my back hurt no matter how I set them. I do like the seats in a dodge, I dont like the aluminum body on a ford as they open up like a soup can when touched and my magnetic cell booster antenna has no place to stick, same with the magnetic amber light. I dont like the plastic piece under the front of a ford as it is easy to tear off as it is soooo low below the bumper. I find the chev to be awfully low withworst clearance of the big three. Each of them may have factory sponsored rebates that the dealership gets from them and there are websites that detail these because the salesman may not pass Thos on if he can get away with it. I went in to the dealerships at Fort Mac of all places and got a great deal, told all three they have one shot at it and I was buying today. Priced out comparable trucks at all three. All were pennies over 60,000. Chev came down to 52,000, fords employee pricing came down to 50,000 and dodge had factory rebates on all Black larimies so they came down to 44,500 but i had to take a black one. Like I said they can all make a lemon
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Ram or Ford

like its been said before its all up to personal choice. i personal own since new a 2010 3500 6.7 and its been really reliable no major issues engine and trans wise (68rfe auto) just minor stuff in the cab (blend door actuators mostly). I would say drive both and go from there. i do like the inline 6 for the ease of getting around the engine under the hood. same job in a Ford may require the cab to come off (easier job then one may think but still). as with all brands be aware where you park the truck, my company has had the DPF/Regen exhaust system stolen while they sat in the yard (one truck twice) bill came back at just over 12 grand and Zender Ford as around 100 tucks waiting for insurance exhaust replacements due to theft.

just my 2 cents

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Ford, Dodge (or RAM now), GM, and while we're at it, Toyota and Nissan...6 of one, half a dozen of the other to me. With the globalization of manufacturing practices these days, they're all the same when it comes to reliability and durability. Some a little more, some a little less, but basically the same. We all have our preferences and our loyalties, and we all have anecdotes of good and bad trucks, but it boils down to what you like. You have to live with it.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 PM

It really comes down to how any truck is driven in my opinion. Just an observation from a drive to Edmonton last week but if Dodge's are that bad why are there so many 1995-2007 (old body style) still on the road? They seem to out number Chev/GM & Ford 3-1 combined from that time period.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:30 PM

Last Dodge I bought was a 2004 Ram 1500 regular cab long box 4x4 new. It was thirsty with the early hemi but reliable. In 2009 I moved overseas and sold it to a lady to haul her daughter's horse trailer. She still has it as an extended family back up vehicle and dump hauller. The right side of the box is wiped out, tires mismatched and usually way behind on service. When It gets too cold or snowy, one of her family is driving it. It seems to run on neglect.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
It really comes down to how any truck is driven in my opinion. Just an observation from a drive to Edmonton last week but if Dodge's are that bad why are there so many 1995-2007 (old body style) still on the road? They seem to out number Chev/GM & Ford 3-1 combined from that time period.
Let me guess - you were in the north end? Yup the population of dodges 3 to 1 up there makes perfect sense to me. Probably lot's of Metal Mulisha skull and cross bones starter kits decorating the truck too I bet.

These "rigs" probably have their towing mirrors fully deployed as they phantom trailers in a race from light to light and feature the straight brimmed hat driver uniform along with the side effect of having invisible suitcases in both your hands when exiting the vehicle with a tough guy scowl on one's face. This is a common side effect for pilots of those rigs.

Just teasing .... but I will say the actual sales numbers (and facts) would disagree with your observation. There are more Fords and GMC/Chev trucks still sold out there.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Buy whatever one you like the best in terms of interior comfort and exterior styling, treat it well and hope you got a good one. Take anyone's anecdotal experience with vehicles with a complete grain of salt. It seriously is a crap shoot and some vehicles out there are just lemons. There are so many variables that go into whether a vehicle will run and drive good that it's almost incredible anything can go long periods without breaking down.

For example, I've had two 2006 Chevrolet Duramax 3/4 ton trucks. Both very well taken care of. One never gave me a single problem, and the other was fine till one day decided it didn't want to run right, and every time I put money into it to fix something, something else would break.

Had a guy only owned the one that started breaking down constantly, he might be on here talking about how those GM diesels are money-sucking junk. Had he owned the good one, he might be on here talking about how those GM diesels are the best trucks on the road.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Bahahahaha I doubt very many people in Alberta keep a truck passed 200000km never mind 1000000km. I don’t care what make or model it is if it lasts to 200000km you probably got one of the good ones and if you take care of it it will keep running.
600000 km on my 93 dodge Cummins.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
Don't you just love those type of employees?

They are the first ones to whine and complain about "the company", aren't they? I've avoided hiring those type as much as possible, and broom them out if they slipped by the screening process. No employer needs them.
Operate for 20 years and get back to me. You WILL beat the **** out of your company truck an not give a **** about it. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Had an 88 Ford F-150 with a 300 i6 and a Ranger 4.0 that both went over 360 000. I think the half ton got a rebuilt engine early on, but they typically last for ages. I sold them but they could have went much longer with a little care. I don't doubt that the Ranger could have gone to 500 000.

My current truck has about 240 000, and I have no plans for replacing it any time soon.

A new gas truck should be able to hit 400 000 before big repairs.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really? Most of my vehicles I've bought in the past 20 years have had over 200,000 KM on them, and invariably I drive them to around 310 or 320. My repair bills are minimal, and I've never spent more that $850 on them during the time I own them on repairs (not including normal maintenance).

I pay cash, never have payments, but I make sure what I buy has been maintained and is in good shape when I buy it. Most guys make more in payments in 6-8 months on their vehicles than I pay cash.

YMMV
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Really? Most of my vehicles I've bought in the past 20 years have had over 200,000 KM on them, and invariably I drive them to around 310 or 320. My repair bills are minimal, and I've never spent more that $850 on them during the time I own them on repairs (not including normal maintenance).

I pay cash, never have payments, but I make sure what I buy has been maintained and is in good shape when I buy it. Most guys make more in payments in 6-8 months on their vehicles than I pay cash.

YMMV

my bad, I didn't realize you qualifies as "many people in Alberta". Either way 300000km STILL doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to the 1 million that I was replying to.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
my bad, I didn't realize you qualifies as "many people in Alberta". Either way 300000km STILL doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to the 1 million that I was replying to.
My point is that you were denigrating vehicles with 200K on them, and I was emphasizing that I see those as opportunity, as long as they have been well maintained.

In the end, you are right, most people think like you. Which makes a wide and deep pool of likely candidates for my next purchase.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Agreed. My Cummins has 555666kms right now and going strong. My father worked at Suncor for over 30 years and was in LVF and MEM as a mechanic and MEM Shovel Supervisor. GCOS/Suncor was always Ford fleets. never once was there ever a Ford in our driveway owned by our family...
Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 PM

You know every vehicle made can show you one with a million on it. But for everyone that makes that there are 50 that did not make 200,000 and a hell of a lot that did not pass 360,000. So you can only count on average and hope for more. But the for 6.0 diesel was lucky to make 200,000.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Vehicles are a collection of stamped and machined parts bolted, glued and welded together. When something breaks or wears out, you can just replace and adjust it, down to the body and frame. No theoretical life limit. Only question is how much effort and expense are you willing to put into all that.

If something didn't make it to 700,000 kms or whatever, what does that mean? Do the cylinders need to be rebored and lined? or the tranny bands replaced? or axle bearings replaced? or what? Inconceivable how body rust or frame rust would get so out of hand you need to patch it. At some point, tear off everything, sand-blast it, acid-stabilize and paint it, and you're better than new.

If everything gets so mangled up in a collision that would be one of the few excuses to send it to the re-bar maker. Or it's such a bad design that it shouldn't have seen the light of day to start with - too many vehicles like that unfortunately. Parts availability is a biggie of course. That's why they shut down the Concorde aircraft. But maintaining something properly, before entire subsystems get out of hand can generally push the expiry date back a half century.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Yes we do restore 1970 cars for example. Average cost to complete 70,000 spent on them. They look like new but don’t drive or handle like the new ones. And the new version is cheaper to buy. Rule one don’t get sentimental or fall in love with a piece of machinery. They all cost the same per mile to drive. New have better milage but you have payment old don’t get the milage but have repairs. I guess you just pick your poison

Last edited by Suzukisam; 03-20-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
My point is that you were denigrating vehicles with 200K on them, and I was emphasizing that I see those as opportunity, as long as they have been well maintained.

In the end, you are right, most people think like you. Which makes a wide and deep pool of likely candidates for my next purchase.
Oh I don't agree with it, in fact all the vehicles I have ever owned I've taken over 200000 miles so whats that 320000km? Current daily driver is a 2001 F150 196000 miles. My work truck is a 2008 F250 with 163000 miles. Parents have all taken their cars that I can remember to over the 300000km mark. I believe their current vehicle an 09 Escape is sitting around 420000km. My point was that most people want the latest and greatest and if they keep a vehicle over 5 years or 200000km mark.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Just finished doing some body work on a 2007 GMC classic body with 720,000 klicks on the Duramax. Oil patch owner operated truck, dirty as dirt, minimal maintenance, but still running strong.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM

How is the rear air bag system holding up in our cold winters? I haven’t read any bad reviews on the 3500, but looked like the 1500 and 2500’s had a bunch of issues.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
My 96 Ranger Hit 370,000+ before I got rid of it for an 02 F150 7700 and that won was just shy of 400,000. Sold it to a kid who added another couple hundred thousand before the tranny went.

As far as Rams being bad, if they were as bad as all the chevy/ford guys say or if GM's were as bad as ford/dodge guys say then they wouldn't be selling.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
How is the rear air bag system holding up in our cold winters? I haven’t read any bad reviews on the 3500, but looked like the 1500 and 2500’s had a bunch of issues.
When I was in at the dealership my salesman said stay away from the air bag system.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
But how many early 90s late 80s dodge trucks do you see? Next to none...Fords and Chevs are still plentiful.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:

When they are the right one, I hang onto them forever.

540,000 on 2000 F350 when I sold it, 680,000 now and $0 into drivetrain.

still have:
490,000 on 2003 f250 7.3
305,000 on 2009 f150 4.6
275,000 on 1999 Chrysler LHS (1 transmission swap)
285,000 on 2007 F150 (has bad phazers, 15w40 royal purple bandaid repair)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 PM

My buddy has a work truck - a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500.

He just rolled 250k

He uses the truck to haul chemicals to sites all across eastern Alberta and Western Saskatchewan.

He had it in the shop today and I guess the brakes/rotors need replacing and he mentioned that they told him a U joint was going.

He told me this is the only work he has had to get done thus far less tires and oil changes

For what its worth...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
My buddy has a work truck - a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500.

He just rolled 250k

He uses the truck to haul chemicals to sites all across eastern Alberta and Western Saskatchewan.

He had it in the shop today and I guess the brakes/rotors need replacing and he mentioned that they told him a U joint was going.

He told me this is the only work he has had to get done thus far less tires and oil changes

For what its worth...
That sound about like a Dodge to me!
Would buy anything but.
And a bonus When I can get 900 km with a tank in my 2017 6.7 to boot.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stally77 View Post
That sound about like a Dodge to me!
Would’nt buy anything but.
And a bonus When I can get 900 km with a tank in my 2017 6.7 to boot.
Correction
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM

I am a ford guy who grew up in a ford family. I am now driving my second Dodge 1500 truck. Why?... Because the $10,000 you save right off the bat buying it can pay for a lot of repairs. That being said my truck is 10 yrs old, 5.7 hemi, 360,000 km and have only done regular maintenance other than 2 front tie rod ends at 250,000km and cv/ front axles at 330,000 km. Is it built as tough and strong as a ford body... NO... but the drivetrain is fine and it has been a good truck to me and saving $10,000 is why I drive a Dodge and why I will drive another.