Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Default Best East Indian Food in Calgary?

Looking for a gem for a Sat night birthday dinner with friends.
We usually go to Karma or Rajdoot.
Somewhere different would be good.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM

I've not that experience with this type of food, but ate at Nirvana off of Falconridge Blvd NE earlier this year and it was very good. It was recommended by a co-worker from India if that means anything.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM

The Clay Oven (around 32nd & Barlow). Be careful, though, their medium is hot and hot is suicide!

P
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Nirvana has a great lunch buffet too.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Mojti mahal (sp) 14 st and 17 ave sw
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Lots of good places already mentioned but my vote goes to Namskar on 16th ave.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
The Clay Oven (around 32nd & Barlow). Be careful, though, their medium is hot and hot is suicide!

P
x2

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Puspa, it's at 40th Ave and Northmount Drive NW. Haven't been there in a couple years though. Let us know where you end up and if you liked it.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Lots of good places already mentioned but my vote goes to Namskar on 16th ave.
They get my vote aswell. Tried many places around town they are overall the best IMHO. The only problem is that they no longer make Dal Masoor.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM

We love Mirchi, although it is Pakistani and not East Indian. My sister and her DH had their Walima there. The address is 739 2nd Ave SW
Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Namskar is by far the best Indian in Calgary.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Indian Food

Gotta recommend Tamrind in Panarama. Absolutely incredible. Next best is Punjabi Sweet house in Saddleridge.

Butter chicken and Lamb Vindaloo are incredible in both.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:

P
x3, only been to the lunch buffets, excellent butter chicken.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Namskar is by far the best Indian in Calgary.
Absolutely! I love there naan!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Surahi on McLeod Trail is a hidden gem of an Indian restaurant.

Their Fish pekoras are outstanding.

For many years Moti Mohal was my go to place; I am good friends with the owners family. Surahi is another part of the family, so many of the same recipes but with an individual twist.

Surahi is near the Carriage House hotel, beside Chalet Swiss.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynail21 View Post
Gotta recommend Tamrind in Panarama. Absolutely incredible. Next best is Punjabi Sweet house in Saddleridge.

Butter chicken and Lamb Vindaloo are incredible in both.
Tamarind is the nephew I believe of the owner of Namskar, almost as good as Namskar and quite a bit cheaper too...(We go to Tamrind lots...)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Puspa, it's at 40th Ave and Northmount Drive NW. Haven't been there in a couple years though. Let us know where you end up and if you liked it.
x2....there is a reason they have all the critical acclaim, and have been in business over 20 years.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:

P
I opened this thread because I wanted to find out what people were suggesting. There are a lot of decent Indian restaurants in town, and now I've got a few to check out. This place, in particular, sounds like it may be to my tastes. I like my food with flavour; and if smoke pours out my nose and ears, all the better!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Made our choice now off to dinner!

Sincere thanks for all recommendations. Wish I could go to all of them tonight.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM

I had the unfortunate task of having to check through Rajdoot Calgary's kitchen ceiling when tracing some heating piping for the then-vacant office above it. I've never in my life seen so much mouse turd. What really got me was the mouse turd on top of the cans of food and bags of rice in their food storage, so it obviously wasn't just old turd in the ceiling. That place is so heavily infested that it won't ever be clear of vermin without gutting it entirely. The non-english speaking kitchen staff nodded and smiled when I was pointing out all the rodent droppings. I'll note this was 3 years ago, but unless they've been completely gutted to bare walls and every ceiling access filled and fire-caulked, mortared, etc, I will GUARANTEE you that the place gets its authentic flavor from the inclusion of mouse poop in its food, just like back home in India..... but then maybe back home its more from rats.....

And yes, I called it in and reported it to the health board.

Anyone wanting to eat there, I'd recommend you bring a ladder and a well fitted respirator and look up into any ceiling tile first, don't say I didn't warn you.

You can look up restaurants health inspection reports at this link, looking at historical reports is available as well. I found the resource and looked the Alberta Health Services website up when I made my original call to report them: http://www12.albertahealthservices.c...B-FFEEDD820E02

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Went to Namskar.
Some highlights and a few low lights.
Pakoras on the mixed appetizer platter had to be sent back as they were raw dripping batter inside.

Waiter was exceedingly light in the loafers and looked at me as though I was on the menu.

Everything else was good.Overall the value was not there $140 with tip for 3 of us no alcohol was about $50 more than I usually would pay on average.

Does anyone remember the name of the Italian Restaurant that used to operate out of that location?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 PM

I went to Dostana Calgary. Very tasty Indian Food.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:

P
x2

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 AM

I'm Sikh so my families make everything at home. If I do go out, Skylark off of 17 Ave 52nd street is good. Nirvana in Falconridge is also good, as well as Royal India in downtown.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I'm Sikh so my families make everything at home. If I do go out, Skylark off of 17 Ave 52nd street is good. Nirvana in Falconridge is also good, as well as Royal India in downtown.
When you go out to these places-What would you typically order from the menu? Am I missing something good because I don't know what I don't know

Is there something on the restaurant menus that would be too big of a pain to make at home? So you find it easier to buy it already prepared?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
Tamarind is the nephew I believe of the owner of Namskar, almost as good as Namskar and quite a bit cheaper too...(We go to Tamrind lots...)
Tamrind ( johnny and jj) amazing with a nice setting.....Namskar is good as well
Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
When you go out to these places-What would you typically order from the menu? Am I missing something good because I don't know what I don't know

Is there something on the restaurant menus that would be too big of a pain to make at home? So you find it easier to buy it already prepared?
Honestly, I barely ever go out to these places to eat because they do not put in enough spices for me. However, I really enjoy ordering the Channa Masala (vegetarian dish) with naan at Skylark. It is made up of chick peas, and of course, the typical Indian spices.

Butter chicken, chili chicken, and goat curry are always popular. If you are looking for something vegetarian, I like the Chana Masala and shahi paneer.

If you want something nice and sweet to drink, mango lassi.

For dessert, I love gulab jaman. You can just pick up some of these from a sweet shop (I recommend La Jawab, it is in Falconridge attached to the Magnolia Banquet Hall). I like to take them home, put two into a bowl and put some vanilla ice cream on top .

Another simple, and less expensive option is: go to Mann Meat Shop (located in Falconridge... what a coincident lol) and pick up chicken/chicken wings from there. They have 4 different kinds of chicken (level of spice), and mild or spicy wings. The spicy wings can be a bit much depending on how much marinate they put on. You can put all this straight into the oven, or on the grill.

Indian food can be really rich in flavor if you can handle it. But your rear end pays for it in the morning.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:54 AM

If anyone still wants to eat at Rajdoot, bring a ladder and a flashlight and ask for a peek in the ceiling tiles first. You might only need to tip the ceiling tiles to get your answer, because the answers will roll out all over you if the tile is not held perfectly level. The tiles above the kitchen looked like a chocolate sprinkled donut, easily the heaviest rodent turd density I'd ever seen.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-31-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM

Default tips

Thanks for the tips.

Went for Friday-noon buffet at the Clay Oven. Very nice new building on 27th St. & South of 32nd Ave NE (not the address in the phone book). Food was totally ex - nicely spiced but not really hot. Naan (bread) was great. Best to get there about 11/11:30 and have a reservation. It was quite crowded by 12noon
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If anyone still wants to eat at Rajdoot, bring a ladder and a flashlight and ask for a peek in the ceiling tiles first. You might only need to tip the ceiling tiles to get your answer, because the answers will roll out all over you if the tile is not held perfectly level. The tiles above the kitchen looked like a chocolate sprinkled donut, easily the heaviest rodent turd density I'd ever seen.
Yup saw this all in your previous post in this thread.