Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Default New Bow Strings

Looking ar redoing my strings on my APA Viper. Bought the bow used a don know how old the strings are and they are looking like they will need to be replaced soon. Wondering if there are some better than others. I a. Still new to archery. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Winners choice hands down. If you want something made in Canada Scorpion it's a good product. These are pre stretched with minimal peep twist. Took me only a few rounds to break in my Scorpion. My buddy just rigged up with winners Choice and it was consistent after 5 shots!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM

I strongly recommend Worlds Best Strings...Best servings in the industry strings second to none...I replace my stock strings right out of the box on my bows with WBS...

Man these are incredible..install so close to spec it makes my job easy...transparent servings... your choice colors, top line colored loop installed ...etc guareenteed ...

Tried most all of the big name brands...always come back to these...
Canadian made also...

http://worldsbeststrings.com/

Neil
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM

X2 worlds best strings are awesome I have them on my mission
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 AM

I shoot 60XCustomStrings and I am really happy with them.

www.60xcustomstrings.com

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-10-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 PM

X2 on Winners.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Strings

I like "Worlds Best" highest pre stretch in the industry 1200 lbs. Made in Sask, I have had 2 sets and would get them again.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Would be surprised if the string material is a special blend, servings I could be believe.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
Would be surprised if the string material is a special blend, servings I could be believe.
Don't need to believe it for it to be true
Why not call them and let us know what they claim? It would be interesting to know if they share what it is or if it's a bit of a secret. Either way, we may all learn something new (which is why I read here)
Cheers
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Don't need to believe it for it to be true

Why not call them and let us know what they claim? It would be interesting to know if they share what it is or if it's a bit of a secret. Either way, we may all learn something new (which is why I read here)

Cheers

I have once when I was inquiring about strings materials while first starting out in archery. Was told that a straight Dyneema 8125 was more stable than a the Dyneema/Vectran blend 452x which is completely 100% impossible. I'm thankful that knowledgeable builders where able to properly educate me. Did feel real great being lied to......
Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM

Default New Bow Strings

In theory yes going beyond 300 will help stabilize, but to point. Something I need to get answer on is at what tension the material starts to breakdown and then the actual breaking strengths.

A piece of string material will have breaking point of around 75 lbs give or take depending on material. So in a bundle of 24 strands which is typical of most materials means a 1800 lbs to break the full bundle. Factor in the bends of the loops are a weak point of the string that number could be reduced. So from the 300# recommend max to the break strength there's probably an ideal number under 500 and probably closer to 400 that would be a good safe number of extra tension.

Last edited by HoytAlpha35; 05-30-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 PM

Ya, good points. You certainly wouldn't want it to fatigue the materials like bending a plastic toothpick. I guess it would be interesting to take old strings that are being replaced and test the whole thing to breaking point. Then individual strands too.
I really don't think 500 is going to put the material through much of a test if 1800 is the breaking point. That would be like a tow strap being weaker after using it, which I don't think would be the case. I would like to assume that if a company is stretching strings under that much force, they have a good idea of how far away from breakage they are and what the implications are. I would think if there were problems with it we would hear endless stories (or even 1 story) of wbs failures.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:54 PM

X however many on Neil and Worlds Best Strings. Very happy with his work and my WBS strings.