Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Grizzly bear numbers 2021

Looks like they are going to review the provincial bear numbers to potentially remove grizzlies off the threatened list. What have you guys been seeing in your areas if any of you live in or near the BMA zones? It will take over a year to go thru the info and make a decision on the threatened listing. I hope they open it up at least on limited entry!
Old 04-14-2021, 03:39 PM

It will never restart again does not matter how many there are. Too many snowflakes will complain about it.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:17 PM

If a person ventured out and looked they could likely see a grizz or three every day on the eastern slopes between CNP and GC. I saw one so blonde last Oct it looked like a polar bear. I don't know anything about interior bears.

Today not far from my home at about 6000'....didn't see the griz but it was there not long before I arrived at the same spot.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:20 AM

South of GP I see them regularly, multiple sightings are common as well, up to 8 in a few hours. Actually last spring while bear hunting, my number of grizzly sightings was almost double the number of black bears. I've been living here for 11 years, and I never felt that the population was low, but it is certainly increasing.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:08 AM

It’s not only the Eastern Slopes that has seen a major growth in Grizzly populations. Most guys I know that hunt the Boreal Forest and farmland fringe zones are seeing a lot more Grizzly sign and bears the last few years.
This one was SW of Fox Creek last fall and decided to follow the drag line of an elk we harvested for 7 km.....!!
I agree that it is very unlikely we will see a hunt again. It sure would be nice though as I was a year or two away from pulling a tag when it was shut down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 AM

Asked my neighbor, field operator south of Grande Prairie how many grizz he had seen in last few months. He stated probably 40-50 sightings so far! I also have grizz coming out of my butt north of Edson on the trap line.
I have never seen so much grizz sign in the last 60 years in our foothills. We also do not have enough undisturbed wilderness to support this many grizz. That is why they are now wandering out to the prairies, with no bison for their supper.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 AM

Good Grizzly prep video, lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4RmKoB0iD8&t=309s
Old 04-15-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Asked my neighbor, field operator south of Grande Prairie how many grizz he had seen in last few months. He stated probably 40-50 sightings so far! I also have grizz coming out of my butt north of Edson on the trap line.
I have never seen so much grizz sign in the last 60 years in our foothills. We also do not have enough undisturbed wilderness to support this many grizz. That is why they are now wandering out to the prairies, with no bison for their supper.
I did a fair amount of work in Forestry South of GP from 1998-2001 and we saw frequent Grizzly sign and the odd sightings. I still remember the owner of the company I worked for giving us a very stern warning to keep our wits about us and to keep our bear spray and firearm we carried close, especially when working in the Redrock Creek area. I recall him telling us a story of a bad mauling in that area in the 90’s but couldn’t find anything on it, just this more recent story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ttack-1.658840
Old 04-15-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I did a fair amount of work in Forestry South of GP from 1998-2001 and we saw frequent Grizzly sign and the odd sightings. I still remember the owner of the company I worked for giving us a very stern warning to keep our wits about us and to keep our bear spray and firearm we carried close, especially when working in the Redrock Creek area. I recall him telling us a story of a bad mauling in that area in the 90’s but couldn’t find anything on it, just this more recent story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ttack-1.658840
I had to shoot a warning shot at a charging grizzly near the red rock 2 yrs ago. One of many close calls.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I had to shoot a warning shot at a charging grizzly near the red rock 2 yrs ago. One of many close calls.
Ya I was always watching my back and making some noise in the sketchy spots when I was in that area. I always checked to make sure the tube was full with 3" magnum slugs too....lol.
I never had any close calls with Grizz in that area thankfully.
At least if they ever opened the hunt again you'd know where to go.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:44 PM

In western AB I see more Grizz than I do black bears.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 AM

Wink Ya'll trying for the faint hope clause? Good Luck

All I see on here is a bunch of anecdotal evidence from people that do not have the proper social license to further their intended agenda. Recent history shows that our provincial bureaucracy and the AFGA executive are more interested in appeasing the outraged anti-hunters in Europe than standing up for the hunting community.
Not enough well meaning progressives have personally experienced the negative consequences of their opinions in this matter to necessitate change.
Just sayin.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
If a person ventured out and looked they could likely see a grizz or three every day on the eastern slopes between CNP and GC. I saw one so blonde last Oct it looked like a polar bear. I don't know anything about interior bears.

SNIP
Saw an article just yesterday about Pizzly's. They said pizzly's had been found into Idaho now. I know I dismissed it right away. Maybe I shouldn't have?