Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 PM

Default Remington 11-87

I am in the market for another shotgun. With the budget I have I can buy a gently used 11-87 or a new Turkish inertia guy. Not having experience with the inertia guns I am wondering which to go. I do like the way the gas guns shoot. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 PM

Bought a Weatherby Element shotgun last fall. Inertia gun made by ATA in Turkey. Step up to the Weatherby 18i and it's made in Italy. I had one malfunction in the first 100 rounds which was due to operator error loading a shell with a fair amount of dirt/mud on it. (dropped my shells in the mud when a flight was setting up). Other than that I didn't have a single issue. Gun shoots very clean and is fairly soft recoiling. IN all very happy with the purchase and I would recommend it.

A couple buddies went goose hunting out by Billings MT. One is a big shotgunner and has a Benelli Super Sport. We took both our shotguns apart after the first day to clean some mud off and were surprised how similar they were. Had something to do with the inertia patent expiring so now everyone for the most part uses the same pattern. Go to a gun counter and look at Weatherby, Benelli, Franchi, Barretta etc.. all very very similar. This year I think we're going to swap bolts just to see how it works.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM

The 11-87 is an excellent gun. It has some improved features in the gas system over the 1100, plus will shoot 3”. Mine has been without problems for 10+ years, a great gun... and it’s fairly light so carries well for pheasant and upland game. Turkish guns can be subject to suspect metallurgy and poor parts supply (although Remington parts are not so readily available either).
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 PM

I’ve had a 11-87 Left hand for at least 20 years, great gun with minimal recoil.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 AM

Default To me

I never liked having to carry an extra o-ring for the 11-87.
Gas is a bit softer than inertia, but i love my stoeger.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:24 AM

If those are the two choices, by the Remington as long as it fits you well. Long term service and resale will be no comparison.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 AM

This may be the exception, or, a faulty gun maybe, but I feel compelled to share. My (late) hunting buddy brought his 11-87 out one spring day, we were pattering them for the upcoming turkey season. He bought it used (Camo model) but I saw the gun before he took his first shot with it, you couldn't tell it from new. I believe we were shooting Winchester Longbeard, it's stout..but the gun should have handled it. Second shot taken, he feels something bounce off of his boot, and notices the bolt didn't close all of the way. 3rd round half-chambered. On inspection (and I forget the name of the part) a chunk of the receiver (internal) sheared-off rendering the gun a single-shot. After a little research, we found a gunsmith who bored that part out from the outside, and welded a new pc. in place to do the job and it functioned the next couple of times he was healthy enough to get out. The repair worked, but looked like hell because of the damage to the camo-dip finish. I'll add, it took a few gunsmiths to find someone confident enough to do this repair, as the location of (what looked like a section of steel rod) had to be precise for the gun to function.

I am a Remington fan btw, and have been shooting Remington shotguns for 36 years. (11-48, 870s, most recently Versamax) I also have a buddy who bought a Turkish semi a couple of years back and raves about it. I've shot the gun, runs great. I forget the make, but I can ask him if you'd like?

Anyhow, I'm sure there are 11-87s out there giving 100%, and countless owners who love/use them. However, my only experience with one is seeing a catastrophic failure on the second shot.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:54 AM

GH's post reminded me of the one BIG drawback to Remington these days and that is lack of parts. I keep forgetting about that. For their model 700 guns no problem, lots of aftermarket makers for every part you can think of. For things like the 11-87, not so much. I think I will change my suggestion and say buy something that has good long term parts availability, and that may not be a Turkish gun either, unless you buy two at the same time, one for parts.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:18 PM

Default 1187

Got a good deal on a Weatherby element. A buddy of mine bought a super nova and I ended up trading him. After learning that the Weatherby is made by ata I looked around and found an ata gas gun at c-tire for $600. Haven't heard back from the guy with the 1187 so it is down to another Weatherby or the ata.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
This may be the exception, or, a faulty gun maybe, but I feel compelled to share. My (late) hunting buddy brought his 11-87 out one spring day, we were pattering them for the upcoming turkey season. He bought it used (Camo model) but I saw the gun before he took his first shot with it, you couldn't tell it from new. I believe we were shooting Winchester Longbeard, it's stout..but the gun should have handled it. Second shot taken, he feels something bounce off of his boot, and notices the bolt didn't close all of the way. 3rd round half-chambered. On inspection (and I forget the name of the part) a chunk of the receiver (internal) sheared-off rendering the gun a single-shot. After a little research, we found a gunsmith who bored that part out from the outside, and welded a new pc. in place to do the job and it functioned the next couple of times he was healthy enough to get out. The repair worked, but looked like hell because of the damage to the camo-dip finish. I'll add, it took a few gunsmiths to find someone confident enough to do this repair, as the location of (what looked like a section of steel rod) had to be precise for the gun to function.

I am a Remington fan btw, and have been shooting Remington shotguns for 36 years. (11-48, 870s, most recently Versamax) I also have a buddy who bought a Turkish semi a couple of years back and raves about it. I've shot the gun, runs great. I forget the make, but I can ask him if you'd like?

Anyhow, I'm sure there are 11-87s out there giving 100%, and countless owners who love/use them. However, my only experience with one is seeing a catastrophic failure on the second shot.
This happens with 11-87 seems like
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 PM

Late to the dance but I have an 11-87, I think I got it in 1988. Been flawless with different ammo and even having it fall completely under water a few times. Good looking guns too. CAC
Old 05-07-2021, 03:32 PM

People make a good point about Remington parts. But some manufacturer will probably pick up the slack on that. I have an 1100 12ga made in 1965 and a new VersaMax. They both throw lead like a beast every single time you pull the trigger.