Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 09:45 AM

Default CZ 455 Trigger

I picked up a CZ455 "Bushman Special" a couple weeks ago and have had it out a couple times to the range so far. I've heard these rifles to be shooters, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case for me...

The trigger is abysmal!! I lightened it up to its limit which helped somewhat, but the break still seems inconsistent. The real issue is the creep though. I find my reticle jumping around after every shot, and haven't been able to shoot under 1.5" at 50 yds with multiple brands of ammo.

Will this trigger eventually break in? Should I go straight for a yodave kit? Timney?
Old 02-21-2021, 10:35 AM

Yes. Those factory triggers are gross. Just gross. I’d go straight to the upgraded trigger and be done with it. I’ve not used a YoDave kit myself, but enough people have used and loved them that I’d try that without hesitation if I wasn’t okay with a full replacement. Quite economical. I went with a Rifle Basix replacement on my 455 and it’s a good unit. Huge life upgrade on that rifle. Was a 15min job.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:43 AM

We bought a CZ455 scout for our daughter and it to shoot really good. I don't mind upgrading the trigger to make it better tho. I can't offer any advice but I will check back to see what you decide to go with.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 AM

I have used both the YoDave and Rifle Basix triggers as well as worked over factory triggers. Yo-Dave is very in-expensive at $25 bucks shipped from a Canadian malker, and provides marked improvement, I think I might have a spare kit or two around here if you decide you want to go that way.. Rifle Basix is a good deal better as is a properly worked over factory trigger. If you aren't confident stoning a trigger it is hard to beat the RB for 95 U.S. plus shipping. You can order direct, Clay is great to deal with. They also come with good instructions and are very easy to install.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:06 PM

Yo Daves work great for the cost and time involved. OR, you can put 500 rounds through it and if its like most CZ's it'll be an entirely different rifle. They don't start feeling really good until you've put 500-1000 through one. Same goes for the rough spots on the bolt and rails. A nice oil and a couple of hundred open and closes and it'll feel good.

I've had CZ's that were perfect out of the box and some that were a little rough. They age like good wine.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Dean, I might have to take you up on that offer. Will PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 AM

I checked, I do have a brand new Yo-Dave kit that fits the 452, 455 and Bruno 1, 2 and 5. Sent you a PM back.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 AM

I have installed the Yo Dave kit in every one of my several 452 rifles. The triggers are terrible from the factory, and they don't get much better with use.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:25 PM

I ordered a Yo Dave kit the new price is $18 + 9 shipping = $27 USD about 40 in our money.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have installed the Yo Dave kit in every one of my several 452 rifles. The triggers are terrible from the factory, and they don't get much better with use.

Not all elk, and moreso with the 455's than the 52, 53, and 57. I just bought a gorgeous 455 stainless with trigger pull measured at a hair over 2 lbs and zero creep. All of my 452's were fantastic, my 457's out of the box are really good and fully adjustable now. My 453's are ridiculous. Under 2 normal and 7 ounces with the set.

Only one I've had of 11 with noticeable creep is the stainless 17hmr and its getting better the more I shoot it. I don't have a Yo Dave in any of them.

I'll put my 453 varmints against any rimfire out there for accuracy and my lux versions right behind.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 PM

I think I'll order a couple kits this weekend.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think I'll order a couple kits this weekend.

One kit will do two or three guns pretty easily but you save enough on shipping ordering two or three at a time that is is good to have a spare kit around.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
One kit will do two or three guns pretty easily but you save enough on shipping ordering two or three at a time that is is good to have a spare kit around.
All set at different trigger pull weight tho? We only have one CZ, our daughters .22. So I'm not familiar with the kit, or the CZ trigger. But for $9 US to ship one kit, and $12 to ship multiple kits I thought I'd get a few to toss in the gun room cabinet for future use. Maybe I'll just get 2 kits, they might last me a lifetime?
Old 02-27-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
All set at different trigger pull weight tho? We only have one CZ, our daughters .22. So I'm not familiar with the kit, or the CZ trigger. But for $9 US to ship one kit, and $12 to ship multiple kits I thought I'd get a few to toss in the gun room cabinet for future use. Maybe I'll just get 2 kits, they might last me a lifetime?

The trigger weight is a combination of the shim and spring so even two guns with the exact same spring and shim may well have different trigger pulls. You can play with spring and shim combinations to get more or less trigger pull weight and maintain zero creep.
I like the kits well enough I ordered 4 last time I bought some as I really like CZ guns. I was down to one unopened kit and one that was an assortment of shims and springs left from the other 3. They are inexpensive enough that they are well worth having a spare on the shelf to ensure you have exactly the right spring and shim for the next gun.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The trigger weight is a combination of the shim and spring so even two guns with the exact same spring and shim may well have different trigger pulls. You can play with spring and shim combinations to get more or less trigger pull weight and maintain zero creep.
I like the kits well enough I ordered 4 last time I bought some as I really like CZ guns. I was down to one unopened kit and one that was an assortment of shims and springs left from the other 3. They are inexpensive enough that they are well worth having a spare on the shelf to ensure you have exactly the right spring and shim for the next gun.
I think I'll order 2 or 3. I don't mind spending an extra $20 now if it saves myself, or someone else a headache in the future. I know waiting for shipping seems a lot longer when you need the parts you're waiting for.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:55 PM

If you're going to order a yo dave kit, grab a bore guide while you're at it.
Nothing destroys an expensive coated cleaning rod better than a CZ.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Excellent advice.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Will do!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are the CZ 550 triggers just as bad?
Old 03-01-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Dang!
I did the upgrade for a crisp 2 lb. trigger I assumed one of the half dozen bore guides I have would fit in the CZ Nope.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Dang!
I did the upgrade for a crisp 2 lb. trigger I assumed one of the half dozen bore guides I have would fit in the CZ Nope.

Possum Hollow #92 boreguide is what you want if your 455 is a .22. #95 if its a 17hmr.

Those two guides cover pretty much every CZ Rimfire made.