Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Default Twin Valley Resevoir

Are there Rainbow trout in this Resevoir,thanks for your time
Old 06-10-2020, 01:25 PM

Nope, perhaps the odd one makes its way in but not worth targeting
Old 06-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Pike, pike and more pike. Saying all that at the fish meeting they said they are going to take some whites, walleye and perch from another closeby res and try hav8ng several fish varieties. The pike are just canibalizing each other there.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Pike, pike and more pike. Saying all that at the fish meeting they said they are going to take some whites, walleye and perch from another closeby res and try hav8ng several fish varieties. The pike are just canibalizing each other there.
Where did you get this info from? Would be awesome if other species were stocked.
I have kept a few in the winter they were stuffed with shrimp.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:45 PM

It was discussed and they were giving out handouts about it at the Calgary fish meeting this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Where did you get this info from? Would be awesome if other species were stocked.
I have kept a few in the winter they were stuffed with shrimp.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:24 PM

Looks like they are in the process as we speak; partnership between AEP and ACA. Really hoping that this will work in Twin. Couldn’t be any worse than the walleye in Pine Coulee.

Wonder why they wouldn’t try with stocking walleye?

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 PM

Why do they always have to ruin every lake with walleye?
Old 04-15-2021, 07:28 PM

That Aca project is terrible perch and whitefish for sure absolutely, keep the stupid walleye out, the last thing we need is another lake where the walleye eat it out of house and home and all you catch is stunted walleye that you have to release because they want to establish a reproducing population forever. Also find it questionable that they are removing walleye from little bow which by extension is travers reservoir, they closed it to walleye retention a few years ago saying the population had collapsed 🤔
Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM

I love this idea and hope this is a good start. If this is successful we have to do it for more lakes.
Cheers
Old 04-18-2021, 05:56 PM

By create a walleye fishery they mean another 0 limit walleye and 0 limit pike place? I think we have enough of these for catch and release fans.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Would hate to see the thick healthy pike at twin turn into stunted dinks. Whitefish and perch would be a great addition but keep the walleye below the dam.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:33 PM

It's probably impossible to separate the species with any sort of reliability, it will be nice to get some forage fish into there. So it will depend on how they manage it.

Should do the same thing with Clear Lake.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 PM

As Frank lake is full of Prussian carp, TVR is downstream and would have a virtually limitless supply floating in that direction. Not a good forage fish, but undoubtedly there in huge potential numbers. There used to be trout in mosquito creek and the Little Bow close to High river back in the 60's, likely long gone by now. And as Prussian carp are in Frank...they will go upstream in the little Bow and downstream to TVR and everywhere in that drainage as well. Likely they will get into Clear lake too. While this is bad news for most fish, the lucky few pike will get plenty to eat. And apparently one injured Pelican survived over winter this year by eating Prussian carp in the warm sewage/slaughterhouse outflow from High river into Frank lake. here's hoping the perch and whites can compete.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
Would hate to see the thick healthy pike at twin turn into stunted dinks. Whitefish and perch would be a great addition but keep the walleye below the dam.
If they add them they better not leave it at zero limits. Otherwise exactly what you fear will happen.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:54 AM

Other than being an invasive species and that is not trivial, what would make them a poor forage fish. As I understand it they don't grow past prey size unlike the grass carp in the states that outgrow the predators really fast.

Now in an infected lake, I would say aggressive protection of big pike would be in order like no-kill between 32"-40"
Old 04-21-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Other than being an invasive species and that is not trivial, what would make them a poor forage fish. As I understand it they don't grow past prey size unlike the grass carp in the states that outgrow the predators really fast.

Now in an infected lake, I would say aggressive protection of big pike would be in order like no-kill between 32"-40"
I think protecting the big girls would be a positive overall. Personally I would be happy seeing more promotion of pike and less walleye