Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
As well as actually fishing, I enjoy reading books about about life and fishing.

Some of my favorites:

The River Why...David James Duncan

Faithful Travelers...James Dodson

Return to the River...Roderick Haig-Brown

Measure of the Year...Roderick Haig-Brown

Have you read “ A River Never Sleeps” by Roderick Haig-Brown? I was looking at it last time I was in Chapters. Good Reviews on it
Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post

Some books reveal a lot more depth when you read them 40 years later, and some are just stories.
Lots of truth there. I recently read Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' again, probably 35 years since I had read it the first time....there was a lot more meat on it than through the eyes of a 16 year old. Same for Grapes of Wrath, although that was meaty even as a teen.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-18-2018, 10:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Lots of truth there. I recently read Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' again, probably 35 years since I had read it the first time....there was a lot more meat on it than through the eyes of a 16 year old. Same for Grapes of Wrath, although that was meaty even as a teen.
100% agreed! I find most of Steinbeck's works to have a lot of meat on the bone. It is what I am drawn to most I think.

I have To Kill A Mockingbird sitting in my bookshelf waiting to be picked up as we speak. Looking forward to that one...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 AM

I would like to nominate any thing by Robert Ruark or Peter Capstick. Ruarks Old Man and a Boy series is a good start, then Use Enough Gun and Africa are good too. According to recent information, most of Capsticks books should be moved to the fiction section, but I think his biographies could be accurate. It doesn't matter what you think of the man, he knows how to tell a story.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned

I am currently re reading the new edition of bush craft by Mors Kochanski. I had a copy of northern bushcraft when I was a kid but lost it somewhere. The new edition has a little new material but basically the same as the first version. $18.95 I got my copy from the kerrywood nature center in red deer.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Great thread.

12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson is a solid read. Long range shooting by Ryan clecker has helped me pursue my target shooting hobby. Collapse by Jared Diamond is a good read as well.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 PM

One of the first hardcover books I bought for myself was Shots at Whitetails by Alfred Knoph. It was published in 1948 in the post war boom and before optical sights were readily available. Everything from habits of deer to choosing a rifle to minor gunsmith work. An excellent look into post war deer hunting.

One I got from my Mom in 1996, On Safari by Arman Denis, first published in 1963. He was a documentary film maker between 1930 and 1955 and this is an account of his adventures around the world, from America to Africa.

And finally , Great Heart by James West Davidson. a true story of bravery, stupidity, planning, perseverance and recklessness. A true Canadian adventure based in 1903 and 1905. A journey to cross the interior of Labrador before mechanization entered the woods.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Great thread.

12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson is a solid read. Long range shooting by Ryan clecker has helped me pursue my target shooting hobby. Collapse by Jared Diamond is a good read as well.
If you liked Collapse you would probably like Guns, Germs and Steel.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Jean Auel’s series of books is my all time favourite. I’ve read them all a couple times over the years.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
100% agreed! I find most of Steinbeck's works to have a lot of meat on the bone. It is what I am drawn to most I think.

I have To Kill A Mockingbird sitting in my bookshelf waiting to be picked up as we speak. Looking forward to that one...
Don't be afraid to watch the movie either. I watched it a year ago with my students. Very good. They loved it.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don't be afraid to watch the movie either. I watched it a year ago with my students. Very good. They loved it.
Gregory Peck and Robert Duvall, hard to go wrong.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I loved Wilbur Smith's Courtney series on South Africa!! And Shogun is a classic. Haven't read them in a long time, but now I want to again.

So for a change of pace, some of my all time favorite fiction, that I got drawn into a thousand years ago as a Dungeons and Dragons teen, besides Lord of the Rings...(Tolkien was ok)...The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen Donaldson. Anybody else read those? I bet I have read the first and second trilogy 3 times each!! Epic stories!

And my guilty pleasure is Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams made me laugh countless times. Arthur Dent is my alter.

Now I have exposed my Nerd roots....
Loved the Covenant series. At first I thought it was a Tolkien rip-off but after a few pages, really appreciated Donaldson's grasp of the language and writing style. The Gap Series was good as well by him. Hitchhikers guide was a hoot. Still use a few lines once in awhile.

Grew up with lot of historical fiction as my parents were voracious readers as well. Read pretty much everything by James Michener, Leon Uris, James Clavell, Gary Jennings, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Dostoyevsky and a lot of Classics. Enjoyed Sidney Sheldon as well.

Some other early ones from their shelf were Five Smooth Stones by Taylor Caldwell and On the Beach by Nevil Shute. This was after I finished every Thornton W. Burgess book on the shelf. (remember Reddy Fox, Peter Rabbit and Farmer Brown's boy?)

Some relatively recent reads include the Skystone series and Knights Templar series by Jack Whyte. The Skystone series is one of the best Arthurian series I've read. The Wolf of the Plains series by Conn Iguilden covering Genghis to Kublai Khan was very good as was his Emperor series covering Julius to Augustus.

I've been on a non-fiction binge lately and have read many of the books recommended in an earlier thread on this forum. Some great reads. Also read every Jack Reacher book as a guilty pleasure and countless dusters.

Great thread. I'll definitely be reading some of the books mentioned.

Edit: Forgot to add "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. An apocalyptic, vampire style story but a great series with a good ending. Reminded me of some of the Stephen King Books that started out great but had crappy endings. Not in this case.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:19 PM

Lots of great stuff there Oko, the Gulag Archipelago is one of my all time favorites, along with War and Peace.

I also preferred Donaldson's chronicles to Tolkien's by a wide margin.

Stpehen King is a guilty pleasure for me, so many good ones but my all time favorite two are The Stand, and The Talisman (with Peter Straub).

Really liking the posts on this thread!

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-18-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Lots of great stuff there Oko, the Gulag Archipelago is one of my all time favorites, along with War and Peace.

I also preferred Donaldson's chronicles to Tolkien's by a wide margin.

Stpehen King is a guilty pleasure for me, so many good ones but my all time favorite two are The Stand, and The Talisman (with Peter Straub).

Really liking the posts on this thread!
The Talisman was my favourite with King involved although I definitely liked but not loved his books, having read most of them. "It" and the "Tommyknockers" had great starts and fizzled as an example. The Stand was pretty darned good but preferred The Last Canadian (almost wonder if King read it before The Stand) back in the day. Similar without the weirdness.

Last edited by Okotok; 08-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 PM

I've just finished reading the C.J. Box Joe Pickett series. About a Wyoming game warden dealing with hunters in remote mountains. Hunting, firearms, horses, wildlife and criminals of all kinds. He's put out a book a year since 2002.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 PM

Got excited about this thread and bought two audiobooks last night:

The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/bo.../9780385664226

and

Unhinged by Omarosa Manigault-Newman
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...9707-item.html

I will report back when finished
Old 08-19-2018, 09:03 AM

I'm seeing a trend there sns2, Trump Whitehouse 'outlaws' tell all.. I'm going to guard myself and not make the mistake of turning this into a politics thread, would hate to be the dummy who ruins a good thread...

The Inconvenient Indian sounds like an interesting read too.
Will be curious how you like it.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 AM

I've seen a few comments mention Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series. If you love his sense of humor you will probably like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. People that are into fantasy novels might like "The Black Company" by Glen Cook. It isn't like LOTR, it is dark and gritty but hard to put down.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Outdoors books by R.M. Patterson, Sid Marty and Tom Brown Jr. are great to read. The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher by Lewis Thomas should be required reading for people who teach science.

Last edited by HighlandHeart; 08-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
If you liked Collapse you would probably like Guns, Germs and Steel.
Yup that was a good book as well. Ordinary men by Robert Browning was a horrible account of history. This thread reminded me of the Hitchhikers guide. I'm totally going to read that again.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I'm seeing a trend there sns2, Trump Whitehouse 'outlaws' tell all.. I'm going to guard myself and not make the mistake of turning this into a politics thread, would hate to be the dummy who ruins a good thread...

The Inconvenient Indian sounds like an interesting read too.
Will be curious how you like it.
I balance it out with Fox News. LOL.

If people want to list books dealing with politics, go right ahead. Its just a book review thread not a discussion, but if you want to pm me go right ahead. My phone told me this morning I listened to four chapters of the book. Problem was I fell asleep before the prologue was over
Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I am currently re reading the new edition of bush craft by Mors Kochanski. I had a copy of northern bushcraft when I was a kid but lost it somewhere. The new edition has a little new material but basically the same as the first version. $18.95 I got my copy from the kerrywood nature center in red deer.
I took outdoor education classes where Mors' was the professor. Great book, and even better professor. Still reference that book to this day.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM

I'll start with my most recent read, Pierre Burton's The Klondike. A great book by a great story teller. Gives a glimpse into just how tough it was for those looking to strike it rich.
Next I'll add one that is a favourite of mine, Three Against the Wilderness by Eric Collier.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 PM

I'll throw another recent read that I found quite fascinating, but it is a fairly heavy read (unless you have a solid background in astrophysics and physics I suppose). It is called 'The God Theory' by Bernard Haisch. This gives a better synopsis than I can. Not for the faint of heart to tackle, but an excellent book if you put the effort in. One of my 'mental discipline reads', as well as a new look at a topic that I still find myself curious about, and drawn to.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bernard_Haisch

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ernard-haisch/

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-20-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:11 PM

A few must reads are:

"Endurance": Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
Another is "Island of the lost" (another shipwreck book)
"Captain Scott" Robert F Scott's voyage to the south pole
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM

One of the best recent reads was this:

https://bookoutlet.ca/Store/Details/...iABEgK7e_D_BwE

It changed the way I look at drug prohibition, YMMV.

This is interesting, currently half done (slow read for me):

https://bookoutlet.ca/Store/Details/...iABEgKYwvD_BwE

Not nearly as tin foil hat as it sounds.

My guilty pleasure has been this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Omega-Rising-F.../dp/B00B795UUS

Read the series...

Last edited by Indy; 08-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
While waiting for spinal cord surgery, I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...Fantastic read
I've had this one in the camper for a few years and finally finished it this summer. I found the philosophy angle a bit too deep, especially towards the end of the book. Otherwise it was a decent read.

Currently reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. A tale of a dogs life with his owner, from the dogs point of view. Only about 40 pages in and its a great read so far, other than someone nearby must be dicing a really strong onion..... sniff sniff

Last edited by jpohlic; 08-20-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Got excited about this thread and bought two audiobooks last night:

The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/bo.../9780385664226

Along the same line you might also like:

1491 by Charles C Mann. Better than the current documentary.

Stolen Continents by Ronald Wright

I have both hardcovers, not audiobooks, and they're eye-openers.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Here's my contribution to the fold. I recently unearth a box of books that I thought got lost or tossed by my parents many moons ago. My old collection of Edgar Rice Borough's Tarzan series. Also in the box were a few Hemingway books.
For more modern books, my wife's been trying to get me to read the Gabaldon books. I've just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy and just started on the 4th book, so the Outlander series has to wait.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Edgar Rice Borroughs, wow that brings back some memories. I think I read those before I was a teen, big fan of Tarzan. I was also really big on Jules Vern about the same time, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in 80 days... something really great about those old adventure novels, it's almost 40 years since I read them. Maybe it's time to again.

I read Melville's Moby Dick again last year, a great book but the Olde English in there makes it a tough read at times too....