Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Peep sights or scope for a Winchester 94?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a post-64 top eject Winchester model 94 30-30. The gun has been a joy to shoot and I'd like to carry it for deer hunting but I'm concerned about the limitations of the stock iron sights. I'd like to have it be quick to target acquisition for those 20 yard or so shots, but also able to stretch a little farther in the event of a shot pushing closer to 150 yards. (looking to load up some of those leverevolution bullets.)

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with peep sights or side mounted scopes on these guns? i was considering putting on a fixed 4x or 2-7x scope, but am intrigued by what Ive read on peep sights as well. any input you have to give would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 11-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a post-64 top eject Winchester model 94 30-30. The gun has been a joy to shoot and I'd like to carry it for deer hunting but I'm concerned about the limitations of the stock iron sights. I'd like to have it be quick to target acquisition for those 20 yard or so shots, but also able to stretch a little farther in the event of a shot pushing closer to 150 yards. (looking to load up some of those leverevolution bullets.)

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with peep sights or side mounted scopes on these guns? i was considering putting on a fixed 4x or 2-7x scope, but am intrigued by what Ive read on peep sights as well. any input you have to give would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew
You can get a nice receiver sight for it that will improve its accuracy potential greatly!
The only Winchesters that do well with a scope are the Angle eject models.
Ii have used them with a scout style scope, and one with an offset scope, and a receiver or tang mounted Marbles peep has it all over them!
Cat
Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 PM

My old 32 special has a tang peep and I love it.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM

I have a Williams peep sight on my 356 winchester, and it works quite well, if the range isn't too long.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Skinner peep - I put one on my Marlin and was surprised by the accuracy - it also looks great.

you order them on line.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:01 AM

I have used Williams and Redfield receiver sights on the Winchester 94's that I have owned with good success. They improve accuracy, do not add a lot of weight and do not affect the balance of the gun as a scope will.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Tried Williams, Skinner and scopes on lever guns. To 150 or 200 yards the aperture sights are adequate and a step up from the open sights. If you can't hold a 4" group at 150 with them then you will need to look at a scope. Some people just can't shoot open sights accurately. Some due to eye sight, others due to lack of practice with open sights. If your eyesight is good, you may want to do a bunch of practicing with a 22 set up with a Marlin peep that slides onto the scope groove. They are easily available and cheap.

On the 94 the Williams peep looks better than a scope and in the calibers they come in, if you can shoot one well, they will serve the purpose. In the Browning BLR and the Savage 99s, a scope was a much better option for those shots beyond 150 yards, because they come in lots of calibers capable of 500 yard shots.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Skinner peep sights are great. Ive got 4 on my lever actions,marlin and henry. I currently sold my only scoped rifle. Never did like scopes myself,especially on a lever. But thats just me.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM

I have used receiver sight levers for decades. I like the Williams FoolProof with screw adjustors for hunters. They are easy to sight in with screww adjustments but streamlined due to the lack of target knobs.

I also have used Lyman 66s in steel on a Win 94. Really like it.

You can leave the screw in aperature out for ghost ring service and I drill out my inserts a bit for hunting.

Practice a bit with a new peep sight and you will be amazed how accurate they are. I've never used a tang sight but considered the Marbles type with windage adjustment. Not all tangs are simple to dial in windage.

I used a 2.5X Leupold on a Marlin 444 and removed it. It was a deadly hunting scope but the lever hand carry the best of any rifle with irons IMO.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 PM

Does anybody know of any place in Alberta that sells either a reproduction of the Lyman 21 receiver sight or an original for a pre 64 model 1894?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Does anybody know of any place in Alberta that sells either a reproduction of the Lyman 21 receiver sight or an original for a pre 64 model 1894?
Try ..... Wild Bill Hickok....he is on AO and CGN.... Lives in Red Deer and he will ship.

Unbelievable inventory and easy to work with....

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Try ..... Wild Bill Hickok....he is on AO and CGN.... Lives in Red Deer and he will ship.

Unbelievable inventory and easy to work with....

Good luck,
I was just going to post that!
The guy has an amazing assortment of parts as well as the occasional collector grade Winchester
Cat
Old 04-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Banned

We have a Henry 30-30 with a tang sight that shoots 2-3 in at 100m.
Also have a Sharps 45-70 that shoots 4” at 100m with stock irons...and these are with 67 year old eyes.
The traditionalist in me says a scope on ‘94 Winchester is like white walls on a Lamborghini 😬
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 AM

The Williams FP is the the one to look for as it has click adjustments.

The 5D is slide/friction adjusted.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 AM

The old saying goes, "There's a seat waiting in hell for anyone that puts a scope on their lever action."

As stated the older 94's with top eject were a problem and side mount scopes were just fugly.

Ymmv.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:21 AM

The tang sight and receiver sights would be a choice . I like the receiver sight better as I prefer it to having to deal with a sight where my hand should be . Also the graduations on the receiver sight make it nice to sight in . If you have a pre 64 , if I remember , will have to be drilled and tapped
Old 04-10-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The old saying goes, "There's a seat waiting in hell for anyone that puts a scope on their lever action."

As stated the older 94's with top eject were a problem and side mount scopes were just fugly.

Ymmv.
Well then! Most of my friends are going to be there anyway!
Old 04-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
If you have a pre 64 , if I remember , will have to be drilled and tapped
The pre52 94s were not drilled for receiver sights. After 52, they were.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Well then! Most of my friends are going to be there anyway!

I'll buy you a beer when you get there.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'll buy you a beer when you get there.
Better be a Cold one!!!!!!!!! Haha!