Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2021, 10:47 AM

Question Valleyview AB

Hi Folks,

I've been doing a fair bit of work in the Peace region lately, and will be spending some significant time over the next year or two in Valleyview.

Other than driving through a few times, haven't spent any time up there. Restaurants to avoid? Things to check out COVID safe?

I guess I can possibly offer AO pony express services on these trips based out of Calgary although my schedule will be pretty fixed on these runs. GP and Fairview will be on the next run as well.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Valleyview Shell had the best washroom in Canada a couple years back. Not very many good restraunts left anymore, compared to few years back.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:15 AM

Go check out Shotshell Sporting Clays.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:21 AM

Yes, hate to say stick to the highway south side (gasoline alley) but it’s really the best area to eat, and stay if over-nighting.
Sporting goods and groceries in town tho, if you have a need.

TBark
Old 04-06-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Yes, hate to say stick to the highway south side (gasoline alley) but it’s really the best area to eat, and stay if over-nighting.
Sporting goods and groceries in town tho, if you have a need.

TBark
Glad that's where my first night is booked!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Default Little Smoky

Little Smoky had very good coffee the last couple of times I was there. And homemade soup and homemade pies. I doubt it has changed.
kidd
Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Grand Prairie only 40 minutes away
Old 04-06-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
GrandE Prairie is actually 109 kilometres
Old 04-06-2021, 05:16 PM

Excellent pizza at Captain Pizza. It's located across from DQ.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:56 PM

East Dollar Lake is about 30 minutes (???? - it has been a long time) north of town toward Peace River. It was well stocked with trout when I lived in Peace, and while they're small body trout it was a blast to go there with a canoe and a fly rod. Super easy.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Excellent pizza at Captain Pizza. It's located across from DQ.
Well, I can attest, it is great Pizza! Very pleased with it last night.

As for the rest of the trip.....

Almost smashed a hawk. Couple of butterfly casualties. Very little roadkill observed.

A really large angry man at the hotel last night that apparently didn't like the room rate and was bellowing like an angry cow at the desk clerk. (think of when they're really getting wound up and you can see their belly heave as they moo) so it appears he slept in his truck last night. At least he was when I left this morning. I thought there was an engine rattle when I started my rental, but the guy just had his window open beside me. I took a picture, but probably not appropriate to post. Facebook might filter some weird stuff into my adds if I did that.

Pretty sure I got air like Dukes of Hazard on a frost heave. When the signs say slow to 50km for a bump they mean it up here. I hit my head on the roof and spilled my beer. (rootbeer)

Satellite radio won't work on a brand new rental car. Four calls to the rental car company and Sirius solved nothing. Apple Car play app sucks and Apple radio sucks worse. This Ford Expedition is getting broke in just fine! Pro Tip: pay the 30 bucks a day to just hand them the keys and walk away.

Oh, and one other thing, at the fancy hotel, make sure you log out of Netflix on the TV before you leave. I got to see some pretty interesting viewing history for the person that last rented the room I'm in. I was going to email them to tell them they should have logged out (since their email was displayed) but I thought that might be creepy so I just went ahead and logged out for them after watching some Paw Patrol for a bit so it will show up in their history and really confuse them.

I think I may have mild chemical burns from the waterslide water yesterday. More chlorine the better right?

I still feel like I'm operating a jackhammer even though I'm not driving at the moment. Hopefully the shaking stops soon. Not going to get too creative with the meal tonight, something well cooked and safe.

Looking forward to many more trips to come in this area!
Old 04-15-2021, 06:49 PM

Sounds like you got the full meal deal northern Alberta experience. The frost heaves are always better when you haul a single axle trailer only partially loaded, and don't slow down. But make sure your half load is really really strapped down, unless you want to see it clear the shoulder and land well into the ditch. Getting air is a no extra charge bonus.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-15-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
GrandE Prairie is actually 109 kilometres
Pikeslayer must be used to driving on highway 40 south of town, lol.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
It is for sure doable in 40 minutes, if you don't mind cruisin at 155.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Pikeslayer must be used to driving on highway 40 south of town, lol.
The Death Road. I avoid driving that road as much as possible. They are twinning it, to make room for emergency vehicles to clean up the occasional messes.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-15-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Well, I can attest, it is great Pizza! Very pleased with it last night.

As for the rest of the trip.....

Almost smashed a hawk. Couple of butterfly casualties. Very little roadkill observed.

A really large angry man at the hotel last night that apparently didn't like the room rate and was bellowing like an angry cow at the desk clerk. (think of when they're really getting wound up and you can see their belly heave as they moo) so it appears he slept in his truck last night. At least he was when I left this morning. I thought there was an engine rattle when I started my rental, but the guy just had his window open beside me. I took a picture, but probably not appropriate to post. Facebook might filter some weird stuff into my adds if I did that.

Pretty sure I got air like Dukes of Hazard on a frost heave. When the signs say slow to 50km for a bump they mean it up here. I hit my head on the roof and spilled my beer. (rootbeer)

Satellite radio won't work on a brand new rental car. Four calls to the rental car company and Sirius solved nothing. Apple Car play app sucks and Apple radio sucks worse. This Ford Expedition is getting broke in just fine! Pro Tip: pay the 30 bucks a day to just hand them the keys and walk away.

Oh, and one other thing, at the fancy hotel, make sure you log out of Netflix on the TV before you leave. I got to see some pretty interesting viewing history for the person that last rented the room I'm in. I was going to email them to tell them they should have logged out (since their email was displayed) but I thought that might be creepy so I just went ahead and logged out for them after watching some Paw Patrol for a bit so it will show up in their history and really confuse them.

I think I may have mild chemical burns from the waterslide water yesterday. More chlorine the better right?

I still feel like I'm operating a jackhammer even though I'm not driving at the moment. Hopefully the shaking stops soon. Not going to get too creative with the meal tonight, something well cooked and safe.

Looking forward to many more trips to come in this area!

Only my opinion but I'd say you're in the biggest craphole in Alberta. Top 3 for sure. It's only saving grace is it's proximity to great hunting.

Started going up there in 87. It was a dump then. It's worse now.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'll take a guess that it was on the bridge over the Little Smoky. It's a downright scary place to drive, especially at night.

I've been to Valleyview many times. I can't say anything good about the town, it's really a pass-through kind of a place.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:

10 - 15 if you're driving a jet fuel dragster with a very large tank. I'd watch the drop down and over the Smoky at 400k though. The semis climbing the west slope at 10k per are always an interesting obstacle. Grab a box of donuts at Crooked Creek store if you're ok with repacking your chute.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
I'll take a guess that it was on the bridge over the Little Smoky. It's a downright scary place to drive, especially at night.

I've been to Valleyview many times. I can't say anything good about the town, it's really a pass-through kind of a place.

Actually hitting the bridge is one of the smooth spots. I'd bet he's talking bridge to Grand Prairie. Makes the cement portion of the west Henday feel like a California hwy and unless youre under 3% body fat you'll definitely know how women feel having boobs.

Theres some good heaves through the valley there but for real excitement try the Little Smoky valley north of VV on 49 headed to Peace. Pretty sure there are spots there where your driving on a 45 degree angle.

Last edited by 270person; 04-15-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:06 PM

Pass through Valleyview lots travelling to and from the "farm" up in the Peace Country. More often than not, it's a double mushroom cheeseburger for lunch from the Burger Baron in town. Call ahead and they'll have it ready for you when you pull up. And, don't forget the onion rings.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Theres some good heaves through the valley there but for real excitement try the Little Smoky valley north of VV on 49 headed to Peace. Pretty sure there are spots there where your driving on a 45 degree angle.
That's the bridge that I was referring to. Some places the pavement changes two feet in height! Try driving a six axle 48,000kg truck through there are 3 am...
Old 04-15-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeau View Post
Pass through Valleyview lots travelling to and from the "farm" up in the Peace Country. More often than not, it's a double mushroom cheeseburger for lunch from the Burger Baron in town. Call ahead and they'll have it ready for you when you pull up. And, don't forget the onion rings.
I only ate there once. I had to stop 4 times on the way to Edmonton to run into the bushes. Burger Baron is off the menu for me.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
That's the bridge that I was referring to. Some places the pavement changes two feet in height! Try driving a six axle 48,000kg truck through there are 3 am...

Oh I hear you big time. Can't imagine a big rig. It was bad enough pulling a 22' trailer with my 4x4. Thought it was going to twist right off the ball or fire truck, trailer, and myself into the rhubarb.

Must be an engineering marvel because they've only been working on it 35 years. I think it's called lay down 6" of asphalt to smooth things out then come back in 6 months after it all slides into the river.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I've been doing a fair bit of work in the Peace region lately, and will be spending some significant time over the next year or two in Valleyview.

Other than driving through a few times, haven't spent any time up there. Restaurants to avoid? Things to check out COVID safe?

I guess I can possibly offer AO pony express services on these trips based out of Calgary although my schedule will be pretty fixed on these runs. GP and Fairview will be on the next run as well.
One of the best things you can do for your stomach in that area, is the Crooked Creek store. Try their doughnuts and coffee. You can thank me later.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
One of the best things you can do for your stomach in that area, is the Crooked Creek store. Try their doughnuts and coffee. You can thank me later.
I’m with you there, excellent doughnuts , homemade bread and jam , when berries are in season
Old 04-16-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Bet you can't just eat one donut. And they make a chocolate dip with coconut now.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:10 PM

Well the month I lived in Valleyview a cashier at the grocery store started rocking back and forth amd told us to get out of town because God was going to come down and step on us and turn us all into animals. She was not far off and no you can’t make that stuff up
Old 04-17-2021, 06:30 AM

Trapper Gord's store west of Valleyview.
Great store and well worth the drive!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I saw the big donut sign and almost pulled in. I was in a bit of a hurry. There's always next trip!

Forgot to send a shout out to the big rig hauling an empty lowboy trailer. Passed me doing about 130 outside of Whitecourt heading South on 43. He hit one of those frost heaves so hard I thought for sure the cab was going to pop off the frame. He just did NOT care and was heading home, probably less a few parts and pieces of his truck.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:41 PM

If you were going to give the world an ennema, you would plug it in at Valleyview. Between it and High Prairie it is a close tie for the worst and skankiest butthole in Alberta award. The only good thing about Valleyview is leaving it.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-19-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:05 PM

Yikes, here I am, living sandwiched between 2 buttholes