Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Best replacement 18V Dewalt tool batteries

I have some 18V Cordless Dewalt tools I’m not ready to let go of yet, the three batteries I have won’t charge.

Replacement batteries from Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc are worth more than the tools. Checked with Battery Depot and they want more than the price of new to rebuild the old ones. 🙄

I see several more reasonable priced options on Amazon etc.

Anyone try them and know what may be the best value?

Some claim to be lithium replacements as well. Curious of the same charger charges these as well?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:43 AM

Chances are you have one dead cell in ea battery.You can cut them open use a volt meter find it and replace from another battery.
Google Dewalt battery repair.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 AM

Yeah that could likely be, and I have seen those videos. I’m just looking for the most cost efficient, best value replacement batteries thanks.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM

I still run a lot of 18V Dewalt tools. Batteries do go on sale a couple of times a year at places like Home Depot, etc. Usually you can pick them up for $110 - $120 for 2 pak.

If you cannot wait than you will pay a lot for them. Another options I have done is go to the Dewalt Factory Repair shop in Edmonton. They usually have a reburnished 3/8" Cordless Drill Kit for sale for $100 and you will get the drill, 2 batteries & charger.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:35 AM

I still run a lot of 18V Dewalt tools. Batteries do go on sale a couple of times a year at places like Home Depot, etc. Usually you can pick them up for $110 - $120 for 2 pak.

The bad news is, they've discontinued them, they now want you to buy an adapter that takes the nominal 20 volt batteries. I bought a couple of 12 volt tools at a garage sale , which take the same charger as the 18 v . At 5 . for both a good deal . You can still get good battery deals on line.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2021, 08:36 AM

I see dewalt makes an 18v lithium replacement for the 18v xrp. Looks like you'd need a new charger to go with it as well.
I would lean towards that.
I still use some of my old 18v tools with an adapter that lets me plug in a new 20v battery.
Now, if anyone knows where I could get lithium replacement batteries for my wife's 12v xrp drill, I am all ears.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:47 AM

Seems like no one has bought the replacements from Amazon . The only thing I can offer is that 7 years ago I bought a replacement from Amazon for my Makita. I have only used it as a backup unit since that time but it does see use and the battery is still working strong. I can't recommend the brand name as I checked on the past orders and that particular one I bought no longer exists on the site.
The Lithium batteries would not be compatible with your NiCd charger.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM

I think there a converter thing where it allow you to use 18v on 20v tools or vice versa

Found it
https://edmfast.com/dewalt-dca1820-2...waAnByEALw_wcB
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I think there a converter thing where it allow you to use 18v on 20v tools or vice versa

Found it
https://edmfast.com/dewalt-dca1820-2...waAnByEALw_wcB
Yeah, I got one of those but the battery hangs below the base plate on the circular saw so you can't cut sheet goods or 2x8's because the battery hits the material.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 AM

I bought one on Amazon for my old Makita just to try for the heak of it, that was probably 5 year's ago. I don't use it a ton but when I do its there. I think it was $45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210416_085240_resized.jpg (25.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20210416_085248_resized.jpg (26.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I see dewalt makes an 18v lithium replacement for the 18v xrp. Looks like you'd need a new charger to go with it as well.
I would lean towards that.
I still use some of my old 18v tools with an adapter that lets me plug in a new 20v battery.
Now, if anyone knows where I could get lithium replacement batteries for my wife's 12v xrp drill, I am all ears.
Are these 20 volts as good as the 18 volts? all my gear is 18 volt Dewalt including two finishing nailers,which require a realy good battery to operate.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:04 AM

saskbattery.com, new or rebuilt.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
saskbattery.com, new or rebuilt.
Thanks I’ll check them out.

Regina battery depot wanted $80 each to rebuild. 🙄

I’ll try my original question again though,

“Has anyone tried any of the much more economically priced replacement batteries from Amazon”?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Are these 20 volts as good as the 18 volts? all my gear is 18 volt Dewalt including two finishing nailers,which require a realy good battery to operate.
I'm told the voltages are the same, just rated differently. Lot's of power there, even the 12 volt impact driver l I bought as 2 for 5 bucks works well enough. Some marketing at work here, me thinks. My side grinder seems to make short work of batteries, lots of load.

“Has anyone tried any of the much more economically priced replacement batteries from Amazon”?

That's where I sourced my 12 volt, no complaints and the 18 volt charger handles them as well

Grizz
Old 04-16-2021, 11:02 AM

I bought a couple biswaye 3 amp and they are good, on now 2 for 60 dollars.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
I bought a couple biswaye 3 amp and they are good, on now 2 for 60 dollars.
Ok thanks, these Bisewaye ones come from Amazon?
Old 04-16-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

I think project farm did a review on them. The ratings seem kinda split as to whether you get a good battery or a dud if you buy the economy replacement batteries.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks, these Bisewaye ones come from Amazon?
yes, amazon.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 AM

Princess Auto had replacement batteries a few years ago, don't know about now. I didn't need one but I looked, and some of the 18V looked like they had DeWalt terminals.

Maybe you can check. Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Princess Auto had replacement batteries a few years ago, don't know about now. I didn't need one but I looked, and some of the 18V looked like they had DeWalt terminals.

Maybe you can check. Just a thought.
Oh ok. I didn’t realize that P.A had that. I’ll check that out some time. In the meantime I’ve had my sister order me some new batteries from Amazon via her account. I will report on how they seem when they hopefully show up next week.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:46 AM

If you have access to a 3D printer you can make adapters for most battery terminals
Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm told the voltages are the same, just rated differently. Lot's of power there, even the 12 volt impact driver l I bought as 2 for 5 bucks works well enough. Some marketing at work here, me thinks. My side grinder seems to make short work of batteries, lots of load.

That's where I sourced my 12 volt, no complaints and the 18 volt charger handles them as well

Grizz
I really like my side grinder as well.handy when theres no power,ive looked at those 18 volts on amazon, i would like to know how good they are.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
If you have access to a 3D printer you can make adapters for most battery terminals
You mean just print of the batteries? That would be cool.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:24 PM

if the cordless drill is less money then the batteries, i buy the drill. wait for the batteries to go on sale home depot and canadian tire are the best, i've seen them at Rona also on sale
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I'm a Bosch user myself and tried the Hanaix brand replacement Li-ion. The first one I bought I put it through a few conditioning charge/discharge cycles then started using it as I would normally, it failed within 2 weeks. I got a refund and ordered another, went through the same process of conditoning and the 2nd battery is holding its own after a year or so.

Can't say how long it will last in the long term.