Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM

Default Mirond Lake, Saskatchewan

Group of us heading up to Mirond Lake in Sask. end of May (going with Newmart resort). Wondering if anyone has fished up there before and can offer any pre arrival advice? Thanks in advance for any input
Old 04-14-2021, 12:23 PM

Great Lake to go. Been with both Newmart and Silence of the North. First of all don’t get to tipsy and head to the launch. Steep hill. Lol. Watch when heading into the main body of water - follow between the buoys and slow down. Shallow and narrow there. Fish the area called the 3 fingers. Walleye to be found everywhere in there and great spots for shore lunch. There is a deep fast moving pool of water in front of the rapids that holds some nice pike as well. If ya show up in the evening there is a good spot for walleye in the first bay that is a short ride from the lodge. It’s just before the buoys on your right side before you enter main lake. There is a rock ledge that comes up shallow there. Guys were fly fishing in the weeds just east of that spot I mentioned for some nice size pike as well. Use caution when driving around the islands out to the east side as rock outcropping comes out a long ways out around a bunch. You will enjoy. Good luck. I’m sure I will remember more info.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:22 AM

Your group has picked a great place to go and the pre Cambrian shield is awesome. Fishing Mirond is incredible and you will love Newmart resort. My sister and her husband owned the resort for 15 years and I worked there the first summer they owned it. Take it slow and easy until you learn the lake a bit or you will be replacing a prop or worse. There have been more than one lose a leg hitting rocks and I know there is a 20 hp honda engine on the bottom. There are far too many places to tell you about where to catch fish but one of my favorite spots for walleye was around the 4 or 5 little islands before you head south east down to the rapids. And jackfish bay to the right of the rapids is full of nice pike and a very nice 500$ rod and reel that I lost. Funny now but lesson learned laying down your rod dangling a spoon above the water. Take some Zaraspooks with you or other top water lures and you will have a blast with the pike blasting out of the water after them. Have fun!
Old 04-17-2021, 01:46 PM

Was actually very glad to see this post as I was wondering what had happened to Newmart Resort. Haven't been up there since that last change of ownership several years back, so my phone contacts were outdated. I'd like to head up there again with the family. Can someone please post the phone number to make a reservation? Feel free to pm me if you wish. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:24 AM

Default Newmart resort contact info

Thanks very much for all the feedback guys, group is very excited. Now just have to hope the silliness in BC stays there and doesn't migrate east. The contact info we have for anyone interested is newmartresort@gmail.com with Mickey being the owner.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:22 PM

Fingers crossed....
Thanks.