Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Finnlight vs T3

Last year I started the search for a compact rifle. One problem I frequently came across was that compact rifles in lighter recoiling cartridges were geared towards new shooters and therefore, cheaper models with more plastic and blued barrels. So I bought a stainless T3 in 300wsm that the previous owner had cut down to 20”. I used it for deer hunting for the season. But when my wife was finished using my M695 in 25.06, I went back to that. I ended up taking a doe with the wsm at 25 yards and a buck with the quarter bore at 30 yards.

I originally bought the rifle with the intention of re-barreling to a 7 saum. After considering that most of the game I take end up being quite close as a result of still hunting, I decided I might be just as well off with a traditional standard chambering and started to look for a 7mm-08.

I recently purchased a used Finnlight in 7mm-08 and decided to compare it to my T3 with the shortened barrel. It’s not apples to apples but I think a reasonable comparison. Both rifles have very close overall and barrel lengths.

Tikka weighed in at 5.99 lbs
Sako weighed in at 6.34 lbs

If you aren’t concerned about the cheaper stock and more plastic on a T3, I think a viable option would be to purchase a stainless T3 in 7mm-08 and have the barrel shortened to 20”. My guess is in that modified configuration you likely have a bare rifle at just under 6lbs. I actually think the rifle will be nicely balanced as I quite liked the balance of the shortened T3.

Overall I am impressed with the fit and finish of the Finnlight, I have always wanted one and that definitely played a factor. Overall I would like to get it down to the 6 lb range, probably my best bet would a Wildcat Composites stock.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my findings. I know a lot of people try to weigh the pros and cons of upgrading a Tikka, no doubt a rewarding process. At this time in my life it was a bit more economical to buy a used Finnlight. I know doubt will end up with another T3 in the future.

Last edited by Prairiekid; 04-12-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Change photo size
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Banned

Only downside to a sako is there is very limited aftermarket options for items such as stocks or triggers
Bix an Andy do make a trigger and McMillan and a company called hi tec composites in New Zealand offer some stock options
Old 04-12-2021, 03:09 PM

Definitely not saying one option is better than the other. My first rifle was a Tikka 695 in 25.06, it's twenty years old and still shooting like a dream.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:46 PM

I have Doubleguns old 30-06 T3 lite waiting for me at the post office. It’s in one of Stuart’s stocks. With a Leupy 2-7 in Talley’s it weighs in at 6lbs 5oz. Should be feisty but manageable. Does Stuart make a stock for a Sako that isn’t a varmint stock? If he does it will be a very good option. Otherwise stick with a T3, and a wildcat.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:16 AM

I have 2 Tikkas, love both of them, reliable and accurate.

I had 1 Sako, I hated it. It was a beautiful gun, accurate, but unreliable. About 25% of the times it wouldn't load when working the bolt.