Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 PM

Default Bereg up2 tent

Any one have one? Are they worth the money? How do they compare to the artic oven tents?
Old 02-28-2021, 09:31 PM
Banned

They aren’t in the same category as an arctic oven
I foresee major ventilation and condensation issues
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 AM

I have one and it's a great tent. Used it this fall hunting for a couple weeks and then ice-fishing for a good week during the cold snap. I never had any condensation issues. I use a gstove with it and it keeps the heat in well with the double layer. I would also recommend the insulated floor, it's great.

If you plan on using the up 2 for just yourself, it's a great tent. If you have 2 people with 2 cots and a stove, it get's pretty tight. If I could do it again, I would have went with the Up5.

Quality tent and worth every penny if you ask me.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:42 AM

I was going to be using it on pack trips in the mountains. What size of stove would you recommend for October use.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 Ranch View Post
I was going to be using it on pack trips in the mountains. What size of stove would you recommend for October use.
I just use a regular gstove but bereg also offers a small/medium wood stove with 4" pipe. Lots of options, I'd talk to the Canadian dealer at bereg-canada. He's pretty knowledgeable in that area.

I only pack mine on the side by side or close to the truck because those tents have some weight due to the internal structure. Positive is, it takes not more than a minute to have up. It's definitely no hiking tent.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 AM

I’m also looking at the Bereg but the “hexagon”

I was going to buy an Arctic Oven Great Nunatak but now I’m on the fence. The smaller Arctic Ovens I’ve used heat up and stay dry just with a couple guys and no heat source.

My issue with the Bereg is it looks like a big 2 layer dome synthetic tent like any other but with a stove Jack. My concern is it will hold no heat and have condensation inside with no steady heat source.

My main focus on buying a new tent is its liveability and comfort as it will be for the family hunting tent, no roughing it with the young kids. It needs to be dry in the morning when the fire goes out.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Banned

My arctic oven is just plain awesome
Looking at getting the grand nunatak for taking in my jet boat

The materials used for these bereg things are lower quality imitations

Comparing these tents is like comparing a jansport backpack to a stone glacier

As for the stoves, who would pay $800 for that garbage

I’ll list off all the quality built Russian things I know of...........
Old 03-10-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Actually You are wrong

The exterior walls and floor are actually the same material on both company’s . Oxford nylon, and the Bereg uses a heavier spec Oxford nylon than AO

The difference is the inner walls, AO being Vapex

I agree the stove seems to be more expensive because of the glass sides?! I don’t know. But you don’t have to use the Bereg stove

Have you any experience with the Bereg?
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM
Banned

You know there is a difference between nylon cordura and nylon Oxford material
Just because it says nylon doesn’t mean it’s the same

No where on their website does it imply using Oxford material

For a company that is targeting expeditions to the furthest reaches of the planet. Cheaping out on material is not an option
The NASA scientists that are stationed in the middle of the interior ice of Greenland use arctic oven tents. I know because I asked them when I was there and we were having beers. They aren’t allowed any sources of outside heat, because it will contaminate their results. And this is what they use and trust with their lives.

I don’t buy junk, so I have no interest in these flimsy pop up style Russian garbage.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
You know there is a difference between nylon cordura and nylon Oxford material
Just because it says nylon doesn’t mean it’s the same

No where on their website does it imply using Oxford material

For a company that is targeting expeditions to the furthest reaches of the planet. Cheaping out on material is not an option
The NASA scientists that are stationed in the middle of the interior ice of Greenland use arctic oven tents. I know because I asked them when I was there and we were having beers. They aren’t allowed any sources of outside heat, because it will contaminate their results. And this is what they use and trust with their lives.

I don’t buy junk, so I have no interest in these flimsy pop up style Russian garbage.
Copied from the Bereg site

“The outer layer is manufactured from sturdy, innovative, and water-resistant material, Oxford 300 PU 4000, and the inner layer is manufactured from Oxford 210 PU 2000.”

The AO Nunatak uses a lighter Ripstop nylon outer and Vapex light inner. Just got off the phone with them.

Check your facts before you spew useless info
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird View Post
Copied from the Bereg site

“The outer layer is manufactured from sturdy, innovative, and water-resistant material, Oxford 300 PU 4000, and the inner layer is manufactured from Oxford 210 PU 2000.”

The AO Nunatak uses a lighter Ripstop nylon outer and Vapex light inner. Just got off the phone with them.

Check your facts before you spew useless info
Those are totally different materials
Old 03-10-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Those are totally different materials

You are correct. But you said inferior materials. When the Bereg tents are actually made of ‘stronger’ heavy material than the Nunatak you were going to buy

I’m just pointing out you don’t know what you are talking about. And you still don’t
Old 03-10-2021, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are correct. But you said inferior materials. When the Bereg tents are actually made of ‘stronger’ heavy material than the Nunatak you were going to buy

I’m just pointing out you don’t know what you are talking about. And you still don’t
Just because it’s thicker
Doesn’t mean it’s better

Hey buy whichever one you like more
I’ll even show you the arctic oven one when mine comes in

There’s no way I’d be spending that much money on a Russian pop up tent
Old 03-10-2021, 03:40 PM

And the old style AO use the Oxford 300 for an outer layer. Same as the Bereg
Old 03-10-2021, 03:44 PM

Marky

I’m not going to buy the Bereg strictly because of the weight (80lbs)I’m going to go with the Great Nunatak (45lbs) at half the weight. Every pound counts in the floatplane.

You got on blowing hard about nothing you know. Based on the fact that is built in Russia and assuming the material was inferior.

And I was pointing out you were wrong

You were contributing nothing useful
Old 03-10-2021, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Marky

I’m not going to buy the Bereg strictly because of the weight (80lbs)I’m going to go with the Great Nunatak (45lbs) at half the weight. Every pound counts in the floatplane.

You got on blowing hard about nothing you know. Based on the fact that is built in Russia and assuming the material was inferior.

And I was pointing out you were wrong

You were contributing nothing useful
If you think they are the same material. Nothing I can say will change your mind
And really I don’t care what you buy 🤷*♂️

I don’t believe everything I read on a website. Same goes for the reviews. It’s all pretty easy to fake.

Russian craftsmanship is the only thing lower than Chinese.

If you want some real advice. If your looking for a stove, Check out 4 dog.
Their titanium stoves will last a lifetime
Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Which Arctic oven do you own Mark?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Just because it’s thicker
Doesn’t mean it’s better

Hey buy whichever one you like more
I’ll even show you the arctic oven one when mine comes in

There’s no way I’d be spending that much money on a Russian pop up tent
The fact that you are so strongly in favor of a product you dont even have yet raises a few flags for people im sure.

Im not trying to be confrontational, I am looking for a few new tents for my outfitting operation and am looking at both of these products.
It would be nice to have a couple real world comparisons of these tents. I have a fly in only operation so weight is definitely a factor.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Which Arctic oven do you own Mark?
I have the extreme 10 with the vestibule now
If you want to check it out
When I’m back in Edmonton I can set it up for you
They are hard to find and they can’t be found in a store
Old 03-10-2021, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
The fact that you are so strongly in favor of a product you dont even have yet raises a few flags for people im sure.

Im not trying to be confrontational, I am looking for a few new tents for my outfitting operation and am looking at both of these products.
It would be nice to have a couple real world comparisons of these tents. I have a fly in only operation so weight is definitely a factor.
Stone glacier has a new 6 man tent out now
Looks pretty good too

40lb range also
Old 03-11-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:

PM sent
Old 11-24-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrover View Post
I have one and it's a great tent. Used it this fall hunting for a couple weeks and then ice-fishing for a good week during the cold snap. I never had any condensation issues. I use a gstove with it and it keeps the heat in well with the double layer. I would also recommend the insulated floor, it's great.

If you plan on using the up 2 for just yourself, it's a great tent. If you have 2 people with 2 cots and a stove, it get's pretty tight. If I could do it again, I would have went with the Up5.

Quality tent and worth every penny if you ask me.

I just purchased one and am waiting for my Gstove to arrive. Does the Gstove fit as it is or do you require a couple of the bent elbow pieces for the stove pipe?
Old 11-24-2021, 03:58 PM

I dont have either of these tents so no opinion. What I will say is MM has hunted and traveled all over the world. I have never once known him to talk through his hat, exaggerate, or claim experience he doesn't have. If he has a strong preference for the AO and he says it is based on actual experience u can take that to the bank. The other thing I will say is both he and I have spent a lot of time in the Eastern block. If you think there is a single thing made in Russia that is top quality, refined, or leading edge u should really go spend some time there. MM said it is worse than China made, he was being kind. There is NO quality level below Russian made.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I dont have either of these tents so no opinion. What I will say is MM has hunted and traveled all over the world. I have never once known him to talk through his hat, exaggerate, or claim experience he doesn't have. If he has a strong preference for the AO and he says it is based on actual experience u can take that to the bank. The other thing I will say is both he and I have spent a lot of time in the Eastern block. If you think there is a single thing made in Russia that is top quality, refined, or leading edge u should really go spend some time there. MM said it is worse than China made, he was being kind. There is NO quality level below Russian made.
Thanks dean. To me, when i see some of these gear inquiries. I get the strong feeling that someone is just out to make a buck. And someone is going to pay the price by falling for the "its just as good as" scam. Arctic ovens are made by Airframes alaska, a company that manufactures bush plane components. These russian ones are made in russia. Enough said
Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMoore View Post
I just purchased one and am waiting for my Gstove to arrive. Does the Gstove fit as it is or do you require a couple of the bent elbow pieces for the stove pipe?
gstove is a 3" pipe and the bereg hole is 4". If you buy the rain cover(looks like a stainless steel doughnut, it will fill the gap or you can just get the 3" stove jack and stick it over top of the bereg one.

I have 2 elbows on mine. This way you can move it back more and have some decent room.

I'm on my 3rd year with this tent, still no issues but I have noticed some discoloration from the UV rays on the outside of the tent, which is expected. Nothing major but will definitely be adding some UV protectant on it this spring.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:27 AM

The AO 10 X 10 is a two person tent with cots. I have the 12 X 12 AO and it is slated as a 4 person tent. The placements in these tents are using the roll-o cots which is sold by AO. These are are a smaller, shorter aluminum tube cot of very high quality which I highly recommend. You do not want the wide, seven and half foot Cabelas cots in these tents. There are two sizes of Roll-o-cots. The tent placements are based on the smaller cot ( 12x12)although two larger cots fit fine in a 10 X 10.