Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Default It Has Begun

Zip and I were up 'n at 'em bright and early for our first ice trip of the young season.

We embarked from Sylvan before sunrise, destined for Lake "X" aka. "Troutville" .

There was much debate about what was waiting for us upon arrival. Would there be ice? would it be walkable? And most importantly are they biting?

Well suffice it to say all questions were answered in our favour. Ice was good clear and at a uniform 5", solid.

Snow covered the ice when we arrived but did not survive the plus 13 degree day. We could have paddled off the lake at the end of the day.

No monsters were landed but saw a few. Caught a few more between us and enjoyed the weather and company. Good start to the season all round.

Cheers,

Scott.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Woohoo good job boys!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 PM

What a BTY but windy day to be on the ice for our first trip of the season with great company. Don't have any pic's to share, my camera decided to die. Didn't see/catch any Browns, we had fun with lots of Bows & Brookies today, started in 5-6 FOW & moved deeper to 18-20 FOW during the day & ended up back in 5-6 FOW to end our day, pan fried garlic shrimp worked better today than M-Worms. They all went back for someone else to enjoy in the future.

Scott's new Makita Super light auger setup sure is slick, I'm thinking both my new propane and old Jiffy 30 will be replaced with one of these units.

Fun day ...

D.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Always enjoyed lake X...I see the brooks still have the black spot parasite. A few years ago we met up with a couple of biologists while at the lake. They checked out our catch and provided some insight into the black spots and their origin which can be found online. He did advise that the meat was still edible but suggested not to consume the skin.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:16 PM

I am glad Lake X still has fish. It is such a nice locale and the fish are so pretty.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Nice work! The color of those brookies is something. I can't believe all that water on the lake. You weren't kidding about paddling back out. Must be a bit South rather than North

Thanks for the report.