Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default TruBond Paint on Tan for Wallhangers etc

I found this thread in the General section that I thought would be better suited to get feedback in the Trapping section.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=362226

So, now that Marty is stocking this stuff I’m wondering if anyone has actually used it and has any input on it.

To me, except for some fancy names for the ingredients (dish soap for Lipa-Solve 77 degreaser and baking soda for Sodium Bicarbonate for neutralizing) the ingredients and process sound the same as for the orange bottle stuff.

The one thing that I’m really curious about is how “8 oz. Lipa-Solve 55 rehydrating bath solution for salted skin” differs from a salt bath required with the orange bottle stuff. Maybe I ought to buy some Lipa-solve 55 if it makes a difference instead doing a salt bath.

If you are looking to buy it Marty is now selling it here:

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...-tanning-kit-b
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 AM

The stuff is great, Although you may get away with using different things for rehydrating and degreasing although some work better than others, the important part your missing is the actual tan! The trubond 1000B is the paint on tan and it is an actual tan unlike that orange bottle crap which in my opinion is just that its crap and yes I've used it when I first started too. You can dampen a raw fur and sew it into gloves and it will look good for a while but it wont last and sure wont be the quality. I also have experience with Brain tanning and other tanning methods. I was going to comment in the other post but it seemed like it was more of a ****ing match between a couple of you guys so stayed out of it. There are other tanning products that work good like the ez-100 or lutan-f and some guys like the submersible tans better. I ordered my Trubond directly from them and if Marty is now stocking it I think that's great and would recommend to any DIY person that wants to try it themselves. The best advice for DIY I can give is no matter what tan you use you still have to do the important steps like degreasing and thinning(depending on animal) and breaking if you want nice supple leather..
Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Good degreasing is a must and dawn dish detergent is not it ..its for birds that go thru an oil slick ..dont cheap out on products or your finished products suffers greatly and yes Tru bond is great stuff ..ive bern using it with great results for the past few years ..if marty did bring it in great cuz shipping and exchange is a killer from the US
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Banned

I decided to buy a kit to try for myself.......$82 shipped.

I won't know for sure unless I try it for myself. Except for the Lipa-Solve 55 vs salt bath the entire process is pretty much the same as the orange bottle stuff so the learning curve won't be too great. In the end, both products are brush on so perhaps Trubond is a better quality product.

I'll find out with freshly caught beaver when it arrives.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

I won't know for sure unless I try it for myself. Except for the Lipa-Solve 55 vs salt bath the entire process is pretty much the same as the orange bottle stuff so the learning curve won't be too great. In the end, both products are brush on so perhaps Trubond is a better quality product.

Dave are you pickleing the hide with your orange stuff?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I think you will be happy with the results Dave, The process is pretty much the same for all tanning, only few differences between hair on and off or wet tan for taxidermy vs dry tan for garments.... submersible or paint on tan... I bought all my stuff separate and I see the kit doesn't include their lubistretch 2000 which is a breaking oil that helps in final stage but other oils can be used and thin skins probably don't need at all. I will have to go back and look at what I paid when I ordered but I bought their bigger jugs. Of all the tanning I have done so far beaver are defiantly the most difficult(even worse than bison lol) and I own most of the gear lol Let us know the results!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Dave are you pickleing the hide with your orange stuff?
Salt bath, as per instructions. That is the biggest difference that I can see between the two products. I'm also a little apprehensive of soaking my fur in warm water as opposed to cold like I do now for fear of the hair slipping. I guess that I'll see.

WRT the oiling of the pelt after tanning. LiquiSoft is likely the same type of product as lubistretch 2000, just a different name. After the pelt is tanned I would think that pelt oil would be pelt oil.

I'll follow the instructions to a T and use the products included in the kit the first time that I use it.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Salt bath, as per instructions. That is the biggest difference that I can see between the two products. I'm also a little apprehensive of soaking my fur in warm water as opposed to cold like I do now for fear of the hair slipping. I guess that I'll see.

WRT the oiling of the pelt after tanning. LiquiSoft is likely the same type of product as lubistretch 2000, just a different name. After the pelt is tanned I would think that pelt oil would be pelt oil.

I'll follow the instructions to a T and use the products included in the kit the first time that I use it.
Good luck dave ..if you use soft water it will be easier to keep your PH in the right range also ..them beaver will still have to be thinned no matter what u use
Old 10-19-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:

To be properly tanned it needs to be in a pickle bath where the ph of the skin has to drop below 2.7 preferably 2.2-2.5. This is international standard when signing
Paperwork for shipping to certain countries. You can use warm water quite warm in the hydration bath if you want I go through thousands of hides a year an there is no worry of slippage unless it was not handled properly before. Salt in the hydration bath doesn’t help at all it actually puckers the hide an wont let it hydrate as good there are lots of different products to help the hydration bath. Tanning oils are very important an some are quite a bit better than others I have tried at least a dozen different ones an always go back to the same ones. Just a little info I could write pages but my spelling an grammar are something. I have gave lots of people free instruction in the shop but after they try doing it themselves that’s the end of it.