Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 08:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Seems that Demodectic mange looks nothing like what we see on this Deer.

Edmonton West Animal hospital described it's appearance thusly;

Quote:
Localized mange occurs when the mites proliferate in only 1 or 2 (some say up to 4) small, confined areas, usually on the animal’s face. The resulting isolated, scaly, bald patches look like a polka-dot pattern
No where did I find any mention of skin darkening in Demodectic mange but I did find mention of it in sarcoptic mange cases.

I found extensive information on both from reputable sources. None of which mentioned either type of mange in Deer.

One report from Alberta Agriculture dealt specifically with Demodectic mange in Cattle. It claims that up to 15 percent of Alberta's cattle have the mites. But symptoms of the mites presence is far less common.

There seems to be at least one big difference between the two. Sarcoptic mange mites cause intense itching, Demodectic mange mites apparently do not.

In fact the documents I found say that Demodectic mange mites are present on most dogs but never manifest symptoms. Presumably because they don't cause the intense itching.
When symptoms do appear it's because of bacterial infection allowed in through the mites activity. Not due to the mites themselves.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Getting itchy after reading this. Made lots of contact on the hike out. Any tips for disinfecting?
Oh man... I was hoping you had boned him out in the field...

Go to a pet store, they will have disinfectant for mange/mites.

Keep an eye on any pets and kids for signs of infection....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I was wondering about disinfecting myself. No way I'm gonna burn my prized wool camo or my wool knit sweater. We've been to hell and back multiple times together.
Mange doesn't live on humans for more than a day or two.
Don't eat the face of that deer and you will be fine.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Default mange

I have a doe in my yard for the last 2 months and feeds around the house every day and she looks pretty scruffy. I took some pictures of her as I wanted to see a close up of the affected ares which are on her legs, back and face. Now I can't confirm it is mange but that would be my best guess. Mange is a dermatological illness which becomes life threatening only because the animal losses it fur/hair coat in winter. I don't think there is any systemic infection.....
Old 12-03-2019, 11:33 AM

If your sweater or other suspect clothing does not have metal buttons or zippers, the big old microwave units left out in your shed are your friend.

Osky
Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Banned

Default Chemical Burns

I have met hunters and land owners who are thinking this condition is a result of animals getting swabbed in chemical from grain fields. It is seen most often on the face and underside of the animal. This is not a rare occurrence.