Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Trail cams - how useful?

Hi all,
How many of you use trail cams and how much do they impact your success?

I should make clear that my purpose is to arrow my first archery deer, not target a trophy buck. I am kind of a minimalist type and like the idea of judging my stand location by signs like tracks.

My propoerty in 248 also has some 'traffic' and I am concerned about theft.

Does your trail cam make a huge difference to your overall success? (I am sure it helps hugely for big bucks).

Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 01:59 PM

It doesnt give me better success more it lets me know whats in the area for deer and what time they are travelling by.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Trail cams help pattern animals and let you know what is actually travelling in the area. I find checking the images almost as exciting as seeing the animal in the flesh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRMS0183.jpg (23.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM

They help eduacte, thus increasing your % of success! Great tool.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM

population of muleies and whitetails, and what the buck potential is.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Doesn't matter how useful !! I found checking the cameras almost as much fun as hunting !! Lol
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM

We have found that just putting a camera out on a deer trail is very inneffective, especially at locating a specific buck. We have had much better luck doing scouting, locating a deer we want to hunt and then watching him to try and pattern him a bit. Once you have an idea of his pattern, then move in with the trail cam to really get his pattern down and identify when you need to be in place to kill him.

Its like Christmas morning every time you pull the card! So much fun.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM

If your not fussy about size dont bother with a camera.you know there's deer coming thru so why bother putting your scent out and spooking the deer. If you want to shoot the biggest buck on the place or like pictures get a camera.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM

I have more fun checking my cameras than I do actually hunting. They are well worth the money. I had three cameras in a 40 acre bush, and I thought I knew all the deer in the area. Almost every night I would sit in the stand I would see a deer skirt through this willow bluff. I decided to set a camera up on that trail, to my disbelief there were two bucks using that trail and only them. One was a 160ish 5x5 but the other was a huge non-typical. The hardest thing to do was pass the 160 5x5 but I did and was rewarded with a 203 inch net non-typical. Without trail cameras I would of definately shot the 160 and never known about the 203. I love my trail cameras and will always use them.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
If your not fussy about size dont bother with a camera.you know there's deer coming thru so why bother putting your scent out and spooking the deer. If you want to shoot the biggest buck on the place or like pictures get a camera.

x2
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM

I think cams can be very useful but I imagine more than one good location ahs been "burned out" by too much activity with going back and forth to check for pics on the cam.

I have used them to set them up in an area I think may be a good spot for a stand. Gone back and checked them once to confirm my thoughts and then proceed with putting up a stand.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Doesn't matter how useful !! I found checking the cameras almost as much fun as hunting !! Lol
x2

Its better to hunt an area that you know holds big bucks then waste time elsewhere. Me and my buddies run over 50 tcams and I dont think any of us have ever killed one we had pics of.We are hunting heavy bush though where the deer just wander aimlessly lol

Like Bushmaster says though its so much fun getting out in the bush checking trailcams and a great way to keep busy during spring and summer.I was out setting cams yesterday and seen lots of game and found a matching set of sheds.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
x2

Its better to hunt an area that you know holds big bucks then waste time elsewhere. Me and my buddies run over 50 tcams and I dont think any of us have ever killed one we had pics of.We are hunting heavy bush though where the deer just wander aimlessly lol

Like Bushmaster says though its so much fun getting out in the bush checking trailcams and a great way to keep busy during spring and summer.I was out setting cams yesterday and seen lots of game and found a matching set of sheds.
Wow 50, I have a hard time keeping track of my 7.I find it hard to put out trail cameras here in rainbow,there are no real trails to set up on.Best I can do is put one on a cut line and hope some thing goes by.

timba
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Get a camera, regardless if you trophy hunt or not. It's always nice to know how many deer are passing your treestand. Whether you could see 40 deer or 4 or none. This will let you know how active the area is and hopefully save you some time on stand. As far as ruining a spot by being in the area more, simply take the same precautions as hunting. Try and stay as scent free as possible, check the cameras at mid day until you start hunting. Then only check them as you hunt to avoid contaminating the area.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
Wow 50, I have a hard time keeping track of my 7.I find it hard to put out trail cameras here in rainbow,there are no real trails to set up on.Best I can do is put one on a cut line and hope some thing goes by.

timba
lol well its 7 or 8 of us lol

I am running 7 and have 6 out.Save one for the bear bait.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Trailcams are THE best tool for a bowhunter.....no question!! Early season whitetails are a blast to pattern and like others have said, its almost more fun checkin your cams than the hunt itself. Just don't overdo your welcome!
Here is a couple of pics of a buck we had pics of early one morning(the time is out of whack) and the same buck harvested that same day when he came back to his scrape just before dark. I checked the cam in the morning and we decided to return for the afternoon hunt thinking that he may return and sure enough. The treestand was just above the scrape. The proofs in the puddin!!
The easy part is getting the picture, the hunt has to be well timed to arrow he deer your after. We've taken many deer we have pics of, but same day pics like this one is a first!!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM

Last year was my first using trail cams. One set in particular let me know this guy was in the area...

which was the beginning and end of allowing me to take this picture.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I've had hunters walk by my trailcam and never even notice it. A security box is a great investment. I get lot's of pic's of moose, deer and elk............now all I need to do is arrow them!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 PM

I have to say our cameras have been extremely useful in the last couple of years, they've basically told us where to hunt our elk in zone 522 3 bulls taken all within 1/2 mile of eachother in three years with one going 330's!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

i'm new to the trail camera game myself, but this year i have set out a camera on an elk wallow that I found a couple of years ago. this wallow is way into the back country so its not very easy to check it. Actually, i set it up 3 weeks ago and i have a plan to go and get it next weekend...I can't wait to see whats on it. Every once in a while at dusk I think about the pictures that it may be taking. The cool part is, this is the only bit of water around a very large area, so I'm pretty sure that the animals will be hitting it. I've seen some real big bulls in this area...we'll see.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Set them up around my home spot and got one stollen!!! (with the lock and security box) Invovative tool called a chainsaw did the trick, I don't think it was a fellow hunter!
None the less they at least let you know what's around. They add anticipation and excitment for sure. Unfortunately I'm kinda like Fred Eichler; if something gives me a shot... I'm taking it. Nevermind which deer I have on camera. Haha
Good reminder to get em up and see what's around, thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM

I run 22 of them up on, or near our land.
It's near a full day to get to them and check & reload them all.
Kinda wish there were 7 - 8 of me, ha.
And it is like hunting, keeps me going out 9 - 10 months of the year.

TBark
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM

I just use cams for something to keep me occupied during the off season, scout new areas and see what animals I have the fortune of pursuing.