Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Entry level SLR

What would everyone recommend as an entry level/slightly above entry level SLR camera? Looking to spend $1000ish
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM

Nikon or Canon - whichever feels best for you.

Rather than going brand new, I'd suggest buying a good used Pro body and one decent lens to cover most situations like an 18-135mm. Same price point, but better quality. Especially if you can get away from the plastic and into the metal construction.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 PM

nikon if your goal is photos only. cannon if you plan on doing some filming as well. not sure on what style of photos you want to take but for me it really payed off to upgrade the lense from the 18-55 to a 18-105.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM
Banned

In your price range you should be looking at either the Canon T6i or the Nikon D5600.
If you look here the decision is pretty easy:
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Ca...vs-Nikon-D5600

Nikon. Both have very good rebates on till Christmas.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Consider a mirrorless

I would ask you to consider purchasing a mirrorless camera as opposed to an DSLR...

All the benefits of a DSLR in a much lighter package....

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II is a great camera...

P

-Confucius
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Or you could also consider Pentax, they make an excellent dslr at gennerally lower price point then the competition
Old 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Like mentioned you could look for used. I couldn’t give away my old canon xti body. Pro models will be easier to sell
Old 11-28-2017, 03:14 PM

I'd second the idea of a mirrorless. So much lighter than my SLR was, and I find I actually carry it with me much more often.

I bought a Sony A6000 but there are several very good ones.

I'd also consider a high end compact camera without interchangable lenses. Something like the Sony RX10 with the 24-200mm zoom. Shoots just as well as many SLR cameras, while lighter and weather sealed.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooker View Post
I'd second the idea of a mirrorless. So much lighter than my SLR was, and I find I actually carry it with me much more often.

I bought a Sony A6000 but there are several very good ones.

I'd also consider a high end compact camera without interchangable lenses. Something like the Sony RX10 with the 24-200mm zoom. Shoots just as well as many SLR cameras, while lighter and weather sealed.
My wife is the photographer but we just got back from using 2 Sony A7s (mirrorless cameras) in Africa. They are smaller and lighter and IMO just as good as the other cameras in their price category.

If you don't want a full frame, Sony makes some very nice 4/3rds cameras as well.

My Father is a big Canon fan but I think that is because they have been top of the heap for a long time.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
we just got back from using 2 Sony A7s (mirrorless cameras) in Africa. They are smaller and lighter and IMO just as good as the other cameras in their price category.
I wouldn't consider the Sony A7 an entry level camera. They are a very nice camera. Lense cost is just so much higher for mirrorless systems than the DSLR it's hard to justify that cost. If I was a professional carrying them all the time my opinion may be different.

OP:

I would say pick up a used Nikon body. The Nikkor lenses can often be found used slightly cheaper than the Canon equivalent. Just remember the camera body will get replaced but the lense will last spend more where it counts.

If you do end up going mirrorless I would choose Sony myself.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I wouldn't consider the Sony A7 an entry level camera. They are a very nice camera. Lense cost is just so much higher for mirrorless systems than the DSLR it's hard to justify that cost. If I was a professional carrying them all the time my opinion may be different.

OP:

I would say pick up a used Nikon body. The Nikkor lenses can often be found used slightly cheaper than the Canon equivalent. Just remember the camera body will get replaced but the lense will last spend more where it counts.

If you do end up going mirrorless I would choose Sony myself.
Ya the A7 platform is not cheap but I was just more advocating for the mirrorless options.

The lens availability is improving and as you said the body is the replaceable bit. The lenses stick around. You can actually use standard lenses on the A7 but need an adapter - it does add ~1/3 of an F stop though.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM

Indeed, mirrorless is a much better option for most beggining photographers (in my opinion) I am currently using Olympus OMD cameras
Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 AM

I shoot Nikon. But as mentioned above, there are a number of great options on bodies. In my opinion, I believe the secret is to buy the best glass you can afford. An entry level body will have various features that you can learn to use, but the glass is where the "money shot" is! You'll pick the appropriate lens, based on what you've decided you want to take pictures of. Good Luck! C
Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Ya the A7 platform is not cheap but I was just more advocating for the mirrorless options.

The lens availability is improving and as you said the body is the replaceable bit. The lenses stick around. You can actually use standard lenses on the A7 but need an adapter - it does add ~1/3 of an F stop though.
Interesting did not realize you could adapt the Alpha lenses to fit the E-Mount. I assume you loose automatic functions (like adapting a Nikon lens to fit a Canon body)?

The Sony A5xxx series would make a decent starter camera in the mirrorless catagory. I personally consider having a viewfinder a must, so would jump up to the A6xxx series.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Default camera

The big question is what kind of photography do you want to do? Do you simply want to put pictures on your computer so you can look at them and email some to family and friends? Do you plan on editing and possibly do more with them with a software program like photoshop?
There are some great point and shoots available for everyday use and they're small and convenient.
Are you alone using the camera? My wife curses my DSLRs and won't even take the few minutes to learn to use it even in an automatic mode. My first dslr was a Nikon D3000 and it takes great photos. It was an inexpensive starter and there are lots like that on kijiji for cheap. I'm currently using a D90 but have my eye on an full frame for near future upgrade.
You can rent cameras from Vistek and they're fairly reasonable. That will give you a good feel for the type of camera you could be interested in.

Geo