Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Cheapo rifles (axis, american, 783, etc) stories

who has actually had these rifles break or fail on them? I've heard lots of horror stories about the package scopes, but not many about the actual rifle itself breaking or failing.

happen to anyone?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Yup. Had to send a Savage back twise for the ejector spring. When I got it back the second time I gave it away.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 PM

I bought one, put it in a Boyd's stock, and it's now a super accurate dependable firearm.

My story isn't very exciting...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Had axis magazines break on me
Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 AM

My nephew (at my recommendation) bought a Savage Axis .223 years ago, to use on groundhogs mostly...but as a varmint gun overall. The gun definitely hasn't been babied, and plugs away getting great accuracy. The mag catch does look flimsy (it is plastic) but in spite of the criticisms of that design...hasn't failed, even in cold weather.

I don't have a big gun budget (and never have) but still...have no plans of adding a gun in this class to my own collection. However, no denying that the Axis in our family is a decent, utility gun capable of sub-MOA groups using factory Hornady 55gr.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

Thousands of the Axis rifles being used, they are not perfect but they are an accurate, dependable rifle over all. I have had a .223 for a few years now, no problems.

I see there are still a few boneheads that feel they have to call the rifle ugly........even though they look like a dozen other synthetic stock rifles that 99% of gun owners could not tell apart.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Maybe the issue is some people buy budget rifles and treat them like budget rifles? Maybe if a person spent alot of money on say, a Cooper, it may not see the same abuses that an entry level Savage might?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Maybe the issue is some people buy budget rifles and treat them like budget rifles? Maybe if a person spent alot of money on say, a Cooper, it may not see the same abuses that an entry level Savage might?
I don’t know how you treat your stuff but to me a rifle is a tool. Despite how much that tooo cost I always treat them well. Most people I know including myself don’t have the spare cash to go replacing tools all Willie Nillie because they treat them as disposable budget items. Just my thoughts though
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM

I wish Savage would market the Stevens 200 again. When I sold guns part time I sold a bunch but never bought one for myself.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM

About a year ago I had marster throw in a JW105
223 bolt action into an order of another rifle (Ok I was on my second scotch at the time). The fit and finish was poor but with a few hours work it was cycling and looking ok. Thinking that this might be a cool challenge for a cheap "all new parts" varmint stalker, I looked for parts to fit this mission. With the advice from a fellow AO member I glass bedded the stock (he gave me the advice for my Enfield but I would rather experiment on a Norinco). I mounted a VOMZ Russian straight 4X scope with some new Chinese rings I had. It even has a new several year old Cabellas sling on it. Every time I went to the range this year I found an excuse to bring something else, probably because I suspect that it will perform poorly. Anyway I am heading out to hunt next week and decided to bring it. There is sight in time first day when checking zero of the big game rifles and plenty of yotes where I go. Somehow I am more worried about the scope performance than the rifle.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 AM

I had on axis in 308 that shot okay but like others have said, the trigger was awful and was eventually fixed with some lapping compound and a couple of hours of spare time. I ended up selling it though because I preffered to own a nicer rifle.

Which brings me to my next point......the budget rifle thing in general. Sure an Axis or American or 783 at $400 seems like a great deal, but you can easily get into a much nicer gun like a Vangaurd or a Savage 16/116 for $700. If you carried the nicer gun through your whole 40ish year hunting career it costs you an extra $7.50 per year to have the nicer rifle.

But then again the $300 savings can buy a better scope or a lot of ammo, so in the end maybe that is where the true value of these guns lie.

It's nice to have options I suppose
Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 AM

I have 2 rem m710s in 3006, (dad and me) and 1 770 in 300WM. Never changed the scope all have Around 1000 through the barrel no issues on accuracy with the package scope. Never had an issue with the guns only the magazine spring sometimes sticks so it's hard to cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Default I have lots of them.

I wish that they didn't come with a scope, and an accu trigger. All mine have new scopes and a basix trigger. I'm very happy with the results. I only shoot targets and varmints, however to-day WF took the 243 deer hunting.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I wish that they didn't come with a scope, and an accu trigger. All mine have new scopes and a basix trigger. I'm very happy with the results. I only shoot targets and varmints, however to-day WF took the 243 deer hunting.
^great points, and I agree. I should have mentioned~there was no way I was taking a chance with a "package"..and basically gave my nephew a half-decent scope to get started with. I remember our first day at the range with it. He had that Axis with it's heavy trigger, my hand-me-down scope, a cheap Harris knock-off bipod and factory 55gr Hornady Varmint ammo, unmodified trigger.

I was at the bench beside him with my Savage 10 "Precision carbine" (rifle in my avatar pic), a Vortex Viper 4-16x scope, hand loads, heavy bags fore/aft and an accutrigger dialed-down to it's lightest.

All the extra time/money/effort wrapped up in my set-up meant tiny/cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards. His set-up with that dreadful trigger? All groups sub-MOA, including a few groups better than 1/2 MOA. Both guns equally capable of what they were purchased for...only @ drastically different cost!

I recently mounted a better scope on that rifle for him, and offered to zero it next time I hit the range. I did a little work to the trigger (for my sake, not his) but kept everything in the VERY safe zone weight-wise. I don't own a trigger-pull gauge, but it had to be in the 8lb range and I'd guess it's about 1/2 that now.

As for being ugly~I don't think they LOOK any uglier than most modern/econo bolt guns, but in terms of "feel"...? Pretty darn cheap. However, the gun gets in done, and I'd hazard a guess that most people who own them feel the same way.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 PM

There are a ton of Yutube videos out there on how to adjust or simply swap out an Axis trigger and a bunch on how to stiffen and bed the stocks .

I don't own an Sxis but I do own three Davage match rifles and all are extremely accurate .
Cat
Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM

I had an Axis in .223 for awhile, it shot really well but I eventually got rid of it just because it felt like a toy, and despite its accuracy I never learned to like it.

I've owned several Lee Enfields over the years, none of them were particularly accurate, but good enough for general hunting. They are rugged and well made and I liked every one I've shot. I'll take a .303 that will do 2.5" groups over a budget rifle that will do .5" groups any day.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

It's all priorities. I could hunt with a budget rifle the rest of my life and never have a problem. Some people see rifles as just another tool and don't spend money on fancy stuff, nothing wrong with that. I spend money on fancier guns because that's my thing, they don't kill any better or shoot any better on average and are not without their own problems.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's all priorities. I could hunt with a budget rifle the rest of my life and never have a problem. Some people see rifles as just another tool and don't spend money on fancy stuff, nothing wrong with that. I spend money on fancier guns because that's my thing, they don't kill any better or shoot any better on average and are not without their own problems.
Very Good Point well made. You cant shoot something deader with a nicer rifle. Now if your going to spend alot of time shooting it because you enjoy shooting then get something that is comfortable and something you take pride in ownership. Tikka Sako Browning Weatherby or Cooper all come to mind.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
who has actually had these rifles break or fail on them? I've heard lots of horror stories about the package scopes, but not many about the actual rifle itself breaking or failing.

happen to anyone?
I have an Axis II (I think it is) youth model that was a .223. I rechambered as a 20 Extreme with a short barrel for my wife as she wanted something to shoot coyotes that were coming in the yard in spring when the foals were hitting the ground. Everything I did was to save weight for her as she was losing strength - short barrel, fluted, synthetic stock, straight power scope. This thing was accurate to maybe 125 yards then it was more like shot gun patterning which was fine cause the longest shot she would have had was 100 yards. About a year after I lost her I was looking at this gun and it was ticking me off that it wouldn't shoot better - I know it isn't the cartridge. I put a Boyd’s stock on it and bedded the action - wow what a difference! I can hit a 4" gong at 300 yards pretty much all the time, 400 yards I'm hitting a 4" gong more like 7-8 out of 10.

I picked up that Savage when it was on sale with a $50 (?) U.S. rebate. In the end it was dirt cheap. Would I knock Savage or any entry level gun - no. After this experience I can see that they can shoot good and would consider another though my next build will likely be on a custom action. Never say never and I would never say that I would never buy a cheap Savage again - it's shooting good.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM

My Savage Edge would sometimes let the firing pin down after I had opened the bolt, then it was a beast to cock by hand to close it. It did this once when there was a white wolf maybe a hundred yards out! No more cheap savage for me!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Got a Ruger American in .243 because the price was right. A bit ugly but light. My mule deer was a bang flop. Last week when I was loading up to put the move on a white tail I found that the plastic magazine would not stay put and dropped in the snow. The latch on the mag had broken. Called snap shots and they said that they would send one out immediately.

Lucky I have other rifles
Old 11-15-2017, 11:27 AM

A few folks came to the range this year with the budget Axis, Savage, and Remmy.

All I can say is WOW.

Yes they are not the cream of the crop, but there not the lesser either.

None of them had issues reaching the targets, and they are really geared up as Harvesting rifles.

The riflings looks ruff down the barrels of some of them, but even then they shoot just fine.
Don't know if the barrles are lapped or not, but they still shot good.

I just about went this route, having the extra funds put me in the next category.

The folks that showed up at the range with them were pretty happy to see good results down range.
They claim that once you pull it out of the box and clean the barrle your good to go.

Sure nice to see price point firearms for folks that choose this path. It helps bring the Begining crowd into the actives of good times.

Don
Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM

I've owned several Axis II's. All were dependable and shot well. Take the junk factory rings off and replace them and you are good to go.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM

have handled 3 different AXIS rifles.

Scopes replaced on all 3. All feed and shot just fine. A 7-08 that had acceptable accuracy and a 25-06 and 243 that were very accurate.

no complaints.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Stevens 200 in 270, plenty accurate and goes bang every time. It has the old school savage trigger that will a little tweaking is nice and crisp.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Got a Ruger American in .243 because the price was right. A bit ugly but light. My mule deer was a bang flop. Last week when I was loading up to put the move on a white tail I found that the plastic magazine would not stay put and dropped in the snow. The latch on the mag had broken. Called snap shots and they said that they would send one out immediately.

Lucky I have other rifles
Two weeks ago when I called snap shots they asked me to photograph the part and assured me that I would have a replacement magazine before the end of hunting season. After checking the mail every day I finally tried to call them. They never did give me a return call but sent me an email saying that they did not have the magazine in stock.

I have spent a lifetime avoiding the really cheap crap and I should have known better.

BTW Snap Shots customer service sucks.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM

I picked up a Remington 783 in .308 for my wife last year. I threw that junk scope in the nearest garbage can and put a VX-2 on top. It's MOA accurate out to 300 (probably further I just haven't shot it further than that) with multiple types of ammo. It's light and comfortable to shoot too. I can't say enough good things about it!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Savage axis in 7mm-08, taken 3 deer, accurate and dependable so far.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Picked up a Winchester XPR for back up, tuned the trigger to 3 lbs and added a nice Leupold 3-9 x 40 VXII shoots moa with 150 grain barnes MRX and 165 grain Accubonds all day. Clip is cheap but like the rest.