Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Fresh Bread

I know this is a no-brainer to most, but it's something I've overlooked for years and recently re-discovered.

We started buying our bread as unsliced loaves and slicing them as we need it.

Let me explain this concept for those whove never heard of this or can't picture the concept.

You have a whole unsliced loaf of bread, and if you want to make a sandwich...you get out a good bread knife and slice off 2 slices for that sandwich, put the end piece back on and put the loaf back in the bag.

It's like fresh bread every day, it lasts way longer, tastes better, fresher texture and even smells way better.

For those that don't understand, I'm designing an app explaining how to do this. I'm thinking 1.99 for ios and 12.78 for Android.

Such a simple thing that makes such a difference to the quality of something so simple as a sandwich. I feel like a sucker buying sliced bread all these years that was practically stale by the time we got halfway through a loaf.

Next step is getting back to baking our own.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:00 PM

So, will this be the next best thing since sliced bread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliced bread.jpg (43.3 KB, 109 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 PM

That's the thing....it's even BETTER than sliced bread...it's UN-sliced bread...I'll send you a link for the how-to app when it's ready.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM

The fresh bread that comes out of our oven isn't sliced, I'll have to ask my wife why that's the case
Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Bread is junk. Wouldnt "waist" an extra second thinking about it..

Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 PM

I can help you with that. I have 5 bread makers and make 10 loaves of bread at a time.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I love fresh bread...and pasta...and everything made with wheat. But when I quit eating it, I lose weight, lots of it, pretty much effortlessly. And I feel a lot better. But I sure do miss it....but I feel better.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2018, 03:05 PM

This app of yours sounds promising, provided enough people can follow it and not hurt themselves. Better have a good insurance policy in place.
But, how will measure up over time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betty-white-was-born-in-1922.jpg (19.9 KB, 69 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, I love fresh bread...and pasta...and everything made with wheat. But when I quit eating it, I lose weight, lots of it, pretty much effortlessly. And I feel a lot better. But I sure do miss it....but I feel better.
Everything you mentioned leads to inflammation like no other. Some are more sensitive than others however.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Everything you mentioned leads to inflammation like no other. Some are more sensitive than others however.
Yeah, I've got friends and relatives who are celiac, they are seriously intolerant and get really ill from wheat. I didn't think it bothered me much, other than weight gain, but noticed that since I quit I can eat as much garlic as I like again. The 4 or 5 years prior to quitting, I started having issues with garlic to the point where I quit eating it (like, tasting and burping it for hours and hours after having a ceasar salad). Now, those issues are gone which leads me to suspect wheat was causing me to have 'leaky gut'....I'd never heard of it, but from my reading this is what I suspect.

Anyway, bread tastes good, and it affects the same brain centers as heroin I'm pretty sure. But I'm better off without it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2018, 05:39 PM

I buy Wonder Bread. Comes pre sliced and will outlast the pyramids. Sometimes, I do wonder why ?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 PM

I have been making my own bread from scratch for about 30 years now. Hard not to down about a third of a loaf after its out of the oven for a short 10 minutes. Made a few loaves on my wood stove with an experimental brick oven--worked pretty good most times. Had to cut back this summer but back at it again for the most part. Normally just make white but do experiment sometimes. Nice to slice about an inch plus thick. lots of butter, some times peanut butter--all well its still hot of course. Some times just break chunks off--no slicing. If I knew what an app did I might make one too.

Last edited by MOUNTAIN MICKEY; 10-17-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Made some corn bread tonight.thats good stuff when it's hot too
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM

We buy our bread at Cobs bread, it is a bit more pricey than your Wonder bread or all the other Factory breads that never go mouldy, The “ lekker brood” from Cobs is the best. The only bad thing is it goes green and mouldy after 3 or 4 days.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Bread is made from wheat

A bit off topic.
When we raise chickens and feed oat-barley mix we get meaty chickens, when we feed wheat we get chickens with lots of fat.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/soft-keto-seed-bread

This my go to FRESH bread !! Outstanding
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 AM

I just started sourdough on Sunday. I can't wait to be able to use it and make everything sourdough again. I love spelt and oat flour so that's what I am going to first. Well, apart from pizza with the discarded starter.
I wish I had one of these outdoor wood fired ovens...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)