Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Thumbs up Reply from Cabelas

Not long ago I received a phone call from the Gun Library manager of the Edmonton store. Brian was very courteous and helpfull in answering my questions regarding the recording of PAL #s for firearms sales. It is a corporate policy that has been under review for some time, the sales staff and front line managers seem to know it to be a contenscious issue, and he understands my frustration for recording any personal information, especially since the fight to abolish the registering of non prohibited long guns was finally won. For this policy to be abolished, will require more customers to be vocal with the store managers, fill out the store surveys and let them know what they are doing is not appreciated by their clientel. This manager has restored my faith in Cabelas and I will remain a loyal customer. Thanks Brian.

Regards, Leo
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Good to see that they are listening. Now for more customers to step up and show their displeasure.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Perhaps having their chain rattled by Alberta's privacy commish might get their attention.
Those of you so vocal, and having been involved should push the issue through this route.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Perhaps having their chain rattled by Alberta's privacy commish might get their attention.
Those of you so vocal, and having been involved should push the issue through this route.
That's a good idea.

I will send them a letter/email, letting them know that I will purchase nothing from them until this "corporate policy" is abolished, just like the LGR was.

Last edited by Hagalaz; 06-11-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Good on em. But they still have nothing on Bashsaw's
Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM

It would get their attention a lot faster if the store was empty of customers and no one was buying anything, or at least no one buying guns. Except for fudge, which is awesome, I never have and never will buy anything from them. I will support a small business or two, specifically Bashaw and Sportsmens Den.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Last time I checked, Bashaw kept personal info as well. I need to call and see if I will do business there again yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Banned

Memo to greylynx:

Never go to Bashaw Sports.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Only time Bashaw's has ever written anything of mine down is when I bought my R-15 and the wife's 1911. Any other time the look at the card and give it back. Mind you it is on file and all the invoice have my name and what I bought on them. But you will get that anywhere.

For some silly reason I have sold every non-restricted gun I have ever bought from a store. Strange I know, but....
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKing View Post
Only time Bashaw's has ever written anything of mine down is when I bought my R-15 and the wife's 1911. Any other time the look at the card and give it back. Mind you it is on file and all the invoice have my name and what I bought on them. But you will get that anywhere. .
You don't get that anywhere. All a invoice needs to say is PAL verified. Putting your info on an invoice is exactly the same as keeping a ledger.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Yup last time I went to buy a gun at bashaw they asked for all my info and wanted to write everything down. I told them that wasn't the law anymore and they couldn't do that. They said take it or leave it. So I left the 1800$ Sako laying on the counter and walked out if the store.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM

This is why I support local businesses;

First name basis with employees who will either give you a good old yes or no answer, and help ya out to the honest best of their ability.

That is what will keep my business indefinitly.

Unless it is for some ammo, or targets I avoid those box stores like the plague.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
You don't get that anywhere. All a invoice needs to say is PAL verified. Putting your info on an invoice is exactly the same as keeping a ledger.

No no, you understood me wrong. They only had my name and contact info on it. Only Rpal info for R rated guns.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
No no, you understood me wrong. They only had my name and contact info on it. Only Rpal info for R rated guns.
I understand perfectly well. The issue is that your info is tied to the purchase, be it with a name and contact info, or a PAL number - which contains the same info.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Exactly... last time I checked... Federal Law trumped store policy.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
I understand perfectly well. The issue is that your info is tied to the purchase, be it with a name and contact info, or a PAL number - which contains the same info.

You do realize they are running a business? They have inventory they have to keep track of. Go buy your next car or truck and tell them not to record your name and see how far you get.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You do realize they are running a business? They have inventory they have to keep track of. Go buy your next car or truck and tell them not to record your name and see how far you get.
The bill of sale on a vehicle needs your name and address so it can be legally registered, there is no firearms registy for long guns.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM

I wouldnt have purchased the firearm if they wanted to record any of my personal info...i will be sending them an email as well
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM

What Cabela Canada is doing is in direct violation of Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act.
Part. 2, Div 2, 7.2a
Read it here:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...=9780779762507

I think I'll send them an email asking how they can not follow the law.
Then I think I'll email the Alberta Privacy commish!

There are no absolutes
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM

I guess my one problem, with the lack of paperwork, ie; a proper receipt that says who purchased, what specific item. How would you go about proving that you owned, what to say you own, and that it really had that price on it, to the insurance company, in the event of loss of that gun in a fire or theft? And, how much money is an insurance co. likely to give you, for a 3 yr old rifle or whatever, that you can't prove you owned. Many receipts from these places, do not state what you bought, just how much you paid for "something".
Pics of possessions help with a theft, if they are stored elsewhere, receivers can likely be found with s/n's on them in a fire, but don't necessarily help with the value. And insurance co.'s don't want to pay a cent more than they have to, or can get away with denying payment on.
A pile of receipts is a big plus in that situation, not having them can create a real chore in proving what you owned and what it was worth.
I agree that I am not interested in having the gov't know what I bought, but, I'd still like a proper receipt with the details of the sale on it. Which is something a lot of stores do not give you nowadays. Besides, if you send in a warranty registration card for a new gun, to the gun co., you just sent the gov't the info, by way of a place they can access it easily anyways.
Are you really willing to lose 1000.00 , or 3000.00 or more, because you can't prove you owned it, or that it was worth that much?
On one hand you have the gov't having access to info on what you own, on the other is possibly the same amount of loss as a confiscation.
How do you balance it?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I guess my one problem, with the lack of paperwork, ie; a proper receipt that says who purchased, what specific item. How would you go about proving that you owned, what to say you own, and that it really had that price on it, to the insurance company, in the event of loss of that gun in a fire or theft? And, how much money is an insurance co. likely to give you, for a 3 yr old rifle or whatever, that you can't prove you owned. Many receipts from these places, do not state what you bought, just how much you paid for "something".
Pics of possessions help with a theft, if they are stored elsewhere, receivers can likely be found with s/n's on them in a fire, but don't necessarily help with the value. And insurance co.'s don't want to pay a cent more than they have to, or can get away with denying payment on.
A pile of receipts is a big plus in that situation, not having them can create a real chore in proving what you owned and what it was worth.
I agree that I am not interested in having the gov't know what I bought, but, I'd still like a proper receipt with the details of the sale on it. Which is something a lot of stores do not give you nowadays. Besides, if you send in a warranty registration card for a new gun, to the gun co., you just sent the gov't the info, by way of a place they can access it easily anyways.
Are you really willing to lose 1000.00 , or 3000.00 or more, because you can't prove you owned it, or that it was worth that much?
On one hand you have the gov't having access to info on what you own, on the other is possibly the same amount of loss as a confiscation.
How do you balance it?
You do it the same way, you did prior to all the BS!

Record, and validate with photos.

Proof that you are not the owner is a far larger thing to prove, than ownwership.

Receipts are lost all the time.

The issue here is, that it is specifically mentioned in the legislation that ended the LGR, that it is illegal to posses any records, linking owners to firearms.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If I go and buy a new fridge, do you really think the store will hold up a sale if you refuse to give them your name? Inventory can be tracked without the buyer's personal information being recorded.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
How do you balance it?
What's wrong with a receipt which has the make, model and serial number of the firearm, plus the amount paid, but in the spot where the personal information used to be recorded they write "PAL Verified"?

You get the receipt, and you have your privacy protected plus the store has a way to track inventory and can demonstrate they checked the buyer's PAL.
The store could even have two separate employees sign to verify they checked the PAL if they really wanted to cover their proverbial backsides.

This stuff is not rocket science.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM

This afternoon I went back to Cabelas and purchased the rifle I looked at the other day. I wouldn't buy it because the sales person wanted to record my PAL #. The manager of the gun library sold it to me today without recording any information, gave me a fair price and was very helpful. He also said that the hell we are raising on A Forum is not going unnoticed in the Cabelas corporate office. The policy will very likely be scrapped soon because of very recent letters and complaints. The power of many, with a voice like the AO Forum has is very convincing. Kudo's to all of you who complained. Let the registry stay dead!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
This afternoon I went back to Cabelas and purchased the rifle I looked at the other day. I wouldn't buy it because the sales person wanted to record my PAL #. The manager of the gun library sold it to me today without recording any information, gave me a fair price and was very helpful. He also said that the hell we are raising on A Forum is not going unnoticed in the Cabelas corporate office. The policy will very likely be scrapped soon because of very recent letters and complaints. The power of many, with a voice like the AO Forum has is very convincing. Kudo's to all of you who complained. Let the registry stay dead!
Glad to hear that my complaint letter actually assisted in accomplishing something!

Is surprising that Cabelas Canada actually did something, most companies usually act as if they never received any complaints.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Default Hmm

There was a nice mauser I walked away from I hope I can go get it some day soon if they decide to change but I'm still traumatized from a powder purchase where the clerk demanded my drivers liscense.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Millwright View Post
There was a nice mauser I walked away from I hope I can go get it some day soon if they decide to change but I'm still traumatized from a powder purchase where the clerk demanded my drivers liscense.
Unfortunately that collection of info is the law....although some places are more lenient in what information they want and how they collect it.

LC
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM

For me, while I am not happy about how powder purchases are recorded, there is a legal precedent for it. The purchase of powder at most is confirming the fact that you own firearms - your PAL does the same thing. This information does not link you to any specific firearm, like a ledger for firearm purchases does.