Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Rattie has been in the league for 6 years? and has nine goals. If he amounts to anything, it's going to be because of McDavid, and McDavid alone. Nobody is going to offer sheet him anything.
That pretty much sums up that entire team. People pretend they are shocked that hes getting points. Hes out there with McDavid and nuge playing ahl teams. He wont even make it till December on that line.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Rattie has looked like a good fit for awhile - the type of chemistry Eberle was supposed to have. Rattie will be motivated to perform as he's an RFA after this season and will want money and term from either the Oilers or another team who could offer sheet him.
That the Oilers need a winger for McDavid is no secret. Is Rattie the guy who can be that missing piece? Time will tell.

At present time, fans are pretty pumped at Rattie's preseason success. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that his shooting % is not sustainable. Last year, only one of the top 50 goal scorers had a shooting % over 20%. Rattie is currently over 40%.
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/info/pre-season-stats-2018
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?repo...e,1&sort=goals

I really enjoy following how teams work within the salary cap. The Oilers had difficulties this year. Next year could be more of the same. Eight contracts and only $14 million to spend. A couple of the contracts could be large(ish) or at least good sized increases; That would be Talbot, Puljujarvi and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Will Rattie break out?
Will Rattie demand a big raise?
Will Chiarelli be able to balance the budget?
Stay tuned folks. It could be fun.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:47 AM

I cannot stress enough how lucky we all are to be able to watch McDavid before our very eyes. It's music. Fun stuff to see, preseason or not.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I cannot stress enough how lucky we all are to be able to watch McDavid before our very eyes. It's music. Fun stuff to see, preseason or not.
I agree. But todayís era is soft. When Mario and Gretz dominated amongst killers like Scott Stevens, Wendell Clark, Rob Blake, Bryan Marchement, etc that was something to see. Hip checks are pretty much illegal now. Open ice hits are non existent and you even lay the blade of your stick on an opposing players hip, itís called interference. Welcome to the NBA. I miss the old NHL. Mcdavid doesnít get me going enough to enjoy this current style of NHL.

Last edited by 1899b; 09-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I agree. But todayís era is soft. When Mario and Gretz dominated amongst killers like Scott Stevens, Wendell Clark, Rob Blake, Bryan Marchement, etc that was something to see. Hip checks are pretty much illegal now. Open ice hits are non existent and you even lay the blade of your stick on an opposing players hip, itís called interference. Welcome to the NBA. I miss the old NHL. Mcdavid doesnít get me going enough to enjoy this current style of NHL.
Those killers didnít touch the super stars. Superstars today are at greater risk of being run through the boards and taken liberty of. Gretz had it easy in that regard.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Those killers didnít touch the super stars. Superstars today are at greater risk of being run through the boards and taken liberty of. Gretz had it easy in that regard.
Gretz did have it easy because of 27. But watch the Mario highlights with two players draped on him and the constant puck battles. Lindros was the same. Im just not in awe of the current NHL. I very much miss the era i am referring to. Physical battles every play. Now its like watching a fast game of shinny. Very european at mach 10.....

1993 conference finals Leafs against Kings. Thats hockey. Thats the stuff i miss...

Last edited by 1899b; 09-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Gretz did have it easy because of 27. But watch the Mario highlights with two players draped on him and the constant puck battles. Lindros was the same. Im just not in awe of the current NHL. I very much miss the era i am referring to. Physical battles every play. Now its like watching a fast game of shinny. Very european at mach 10.....

1993 conference finals Leafs against Kings. Thats hockey. Thats the stuff i miss...
I think that it's not only the evolution of the game, but the evolution of the players. On a whole the average players are stronger/faster more fit than ever. There is no such thing as an off season any more, and very few are coming into training camp out of shape/overweight. That combined with rule changes has really sped up the game (except for the stupid video reviews and coaches challenges that take forever)

Don't get me wrong, I really miss watching the Wings style of play in the 90's, fast and tough. Guys like Yzerman, Lidstrom and a host of Russians lighting up the scoreboard, while guys like Probert, Kocur , McCarty and Shanahan kept other teams in line and would answer the bell when needed.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I think that it's not only the evolution of the game, but the evolution of the players. On a whole the average players are stronger/faster more fit than ever. There is no such thing as an off season any more, and very few are coming into training camp out of shape/overweight. That combined with rule changes has really sped up the game (except for the stupid video reviews and coaches challenges that take forever)

Don't get me wrong, I really miss watching the Wings style of play in the 90's, fast and tough. Guys like Yzerman, Lidstrom and a host of Russians lighting up the scoreboard, while guys like Probert, Kocur , McCarty and Shanahan kept other teams in line and would answer the bell when needed.
In other sports, stronger and faster usually correlates to more physicality. Take the evolution of MMA for example. Unlike the NHL...
Old 09-29-2018, 04:07 PM

Any Shames fans catch the score of today's game? **crickets**

Go east young man.....and take a few of yer buddies with ya!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Ohyeeaaaaa!!!

They got the beat down by the Mighty Oil!

Shames ain’t gonna chirp fer a while I bet!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Ohyeeaaaaa!!!

Shames ain’t gonna chirp fer a while I bet!
I'll bite we bow to your preseason superiority. When's the parade?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Ohyeeaaaaa!!!

Shames ainít gonna chirp fer a while I bet!
42 shots Flames, 21 shots oilers.....

AND I was waiting for the game tonight....****

MISSED it...
Old 09-29-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

MISSED it...
The difference in penalty minutes would definitely account for some of that.
Besides, wasn't it a Flamer fan that once said there is a big difference between a "shot" and a grade A scoring chance? Guess he was right

Go east young man.....and take a few of yer buddies with ya!
Old 09-29-2018, 06:00 PM

Even the homer 630 announcers stated the Flames are going to finish above the Oilers. I think most people know this.

When do the preseason playoffs start?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:

MISSED it...
I thought the game was tonight too, so missed it while I was out filling my moose tag with a nice 2 year old freezer bull. Good eats, and way more significant than a preseason mean nothing game. And it was a one goal game? Not exactly a blow out for a game that means nothing.

I filled my moose tag! That right there is way more important!!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

"Slŗinte mhÚr agad!"
Old 09-29-2018, 06:14 PM

Way to go TC!

Love moose meat!
I missed the game too. Had my boy out at the Willow Valley Trophy club youth pheasant shoot today. We had a great time!
Old 09-29-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Way to go TC!

Love moose meat!
I missed the game too. Had my boy out at the Willow Valley Trophy club youth pheasant shoot today. We had a great time!
Thanks bud, I'm pretty darn pleased with real world success. And so awesome doing good things with your kids, good on you man!!

So when do we meet up and sit down and have a drink together??

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

"Slŗinte mhÚr agad!"
Old 09-29-2018, 06:32 PM

When I win that bottle off you you and your Shames bud.

Heh

Go Oil!!!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
When I win that bottle off you you and your Shames bud.

Heh

Go Oil!!!
When in win that bottle off you? Sounds good!

"Slŗinte mhÚr agad!"
Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Even the homer 630 announcers stated the Flames are going to finish above the Oilers. I think most people know this.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I thought the game was tonight too, so missed it while I was out filling my moose tag with a nice 2 year old freezer bull. Good eats, and way more significant than a preseason mean nothing game. And it was a one goal game? Not exactly a blow out for a game that means nothing.

I filled my moose tag! That right there is way more important!!
Nicely done
Old 09-29-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Even Oilers fans have to admit this funny
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:

MISSED it...
And the sad thing about this is .........mike smith is the best thing you got... gee... hope he donít get hurt like last year... look what happened there..... oh darn.... even with him flames canít do it.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
And the sad thing about this is .........mike smith is the best thing you got... gee... hope he donít get hurt like last year... look what happened there..... oh darn.... even with him flames canít do it.
But realistically what have the Oilers done with all the first rounders over the years?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
And Oiler fans are hoping and praying Talbot can put up similar SA% and GAA numbers to Smiths last year.

Seeing Tablot has essentially been on the decline since year one though, its unlikely.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
But realistically what have the Oilers done with all the first rounders over the years?
Is there an all of the above option containing trade them away or absolutely crush their potential by putting the weight of the team on their shoulders at 18?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Is there an all of the above option containing trade them away or absolutely crush their potential by putting the weight of the team on their shoulders at 18?
However you look at it, itís been a debacle...
Old 09-30-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Seeing Tablot has essentially been on the decline since year one though, its unlikely.

Oilers aren't my #1 but this statement is just flat out false. 3 years as a starter and he's declining? Pretty limited sample size I'd say.

You're going to compare a couple of years backing up Lundquist to being a starter in Edm where the entire team outside of McJ declined last year?

He's a much better option than riding an aged, wears out at the 3/4 mile pole tender like Smith.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:32 PM

My hope is the Flames and Oilers finish the top two teams in the west and play against each other in the semi final and one goes to the cup and wins.

Hereís hop8n*!

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Oilers aren't my #1 but this statement is just flat out false.
No it's not. He's been in the league for 5 seasons and four have seen his GAA increase and SA% decrease. Pretty easy to verify this.....