Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
lucic gets 50 points this year.

Our goalie tandem gets it done around the .920 range.

Defense stays healthy.... And somewhat effective.

Drai establishes an effective second scoring line.

Well be in the hunt.

If the shames dont make it past the first round this year.... I dunno what they should do.

Go oil!!!!!
love it!!

Bw
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
No one has mentioned Lucic ?
Needs to come in lighter, have worked hard on being explosive and agility during the off season....if not than he is just slow, aging well paid player......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default Oilers

Think they are gonna be good
McDavid will have a excellent season others will follow
Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhat2018 View Post
Think they are gonna be good
McDavid will have a excellent season others will follow
If that's all it takes, why weren't they any good last year?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If that's all it takes, why weren't they any good last year?
String of loss's at the start of the year took the wind out of their sails. Another years Maturity will help with that. Same thing happened to the flames, but at the end of the season. I'm sure (and hopeful), both teams will have a rebound this year

Go east young man.....and take a few of yer buddies with ya!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
String of loss's at the start of the year took the wind out of their sails. Another years Maturity will help with that. Same thing happened to the flames, but at the end of the season. I'm sure (and hopeful), both teams will have a rebound this year
Fair enough. I'm not in the "they'll just play better this year" group that Oilers fans have been forced to buy into because there were so few changes made, but I guess we'll see soon enough.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Its all up to the players as the management didnt do
anything to help put even a slightly different team on the ice. Its a hard sell to attract players to want to come and play in Edmonton to begin with.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM

This isn't a great way to start the season.

"Edmonton Oilers Andrej Sekera is out indefinitely after undergoing surgery for a torn Achilles, the team announced on Tuesday. Sekera suffered the injury during an off-season training session."

Sports Net

Doesn't that type of injury usually require 3 - 4 months recovery?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:08 PM

That sucks.... wonder if Chia will try to ignore it again this like he did last year. On another crappy note, Ellis signed an 8 year extension with the Preds, so that is no longer an option. Klefbom and Larsson need to be much better than last year and D-group in whole better hit the ground running.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM

I feel like Nurse's bargaining power just went up....
Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Apparently. Unconfirmed source...

Nurse at 3.5mil/1 year

Brandon davidson and Ales Hemsky signed to PTO's.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post

Nurse at 3.5mil/1 year

I am extremely skeptical of all of that.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post

Nurse at 3.5mil/1 year

That would be a terrible deal for the Oilers, they would need at least 2 years for a bridge deal.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
That would be a terrible deal for the Oilers, they would need at least 2 years for a bridge deal.
Here is the up side to Nurse at 1 year....

1. I think the Oilers are real close to saying he is a "Core" player. Look at Chicago in their cup years. 3 core players up front and 2 on the back end. Give Nurse 1 year to prove he is that type of player. And if the Oiler's do well this year, he will gladly sign a long term deal.

2. If the Oilers are sellers at the trade deadline it will be because of defense or goal tending. Nurse could be a very attractive trade bait at 3.5 cap hit.

With that said, I sure hope he sticks around long term.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Here is the up side to Nurse at 1 year....

1. I think the Oilers are real close to saying he is a "Core" player. Look at Chicago in their cup years. 3 core players up front and 2 on the back end. Give Nurse 1 year to prove he is that type of player. And if the Oiler's do well this year, he will gladly sign a long term deal.

2. If the Oilers are sellers at the trade deadline it will be because of defense or goal tending. Nurse could be a very attractive trade bait at 3.5 cap hit.

With that said, I sure hope he sticks around long term.
Exactly why it would be a terrible deal for the Oilers.

1) if he is a core player and is only locked in for 1 year, his next contract will be higher. So you will get him for 3.5 this year, but will be 5-7+ depending on the season he has for his next contract. When you could probably lock him in for 5 years at 4.5 or 5 right now.

2) if the Oilers are sellers, Nurse would be worth more if he was locked in for multiple years, even though he would be an RFA so whoever trades for him will be able to retain his rights, but will have to give him a raise. Would be worth way more at the deadline if he had 2 or 3 years left on the contract at a reasonable cap hit of 4-5. Also, even if the Oilers are sellers, it would be a terrible decision to trade nurse at the deadline, Oilers defence is not strong enough as is, so why would you trade a second pairing defensemen for picks/prospects. Anyone buying at the deadline isn't giving you a second pairing defensemen back for nurse. You would be getting a downgraded roster player + prospects picks.

The only way a 1 year deal with Nurse works good for the Oilers is if he has a terrible season, then maybe they can get him for a little less money. With Sekera down the Oilers can not afford for Nurse to not be signed by the start of the season. SO now the pressure is on the Oilers to sign him prior to training camp. when last week they could risk him missing camp and the first few games of the season.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Buy out Sekera..... he’s done now.

That frees up 4-5 mill I think.

Shop for some kinda D.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
Exactly why it would be a terrible deal for the Oilers.

1) if he is a core player and is only locked in for 1 year, his next contract will be higher. So you will get him for 3.5 this year, but will be 5-7+ depending on the season he has for his next contract. When you could probably lock him in for 5 years at 4.5 or 5 right now.

2) if the Oilers are sellers, Nurse would be worth more if he was locked in for multiple years, even though he would be an RFA so whoever trades for him will be able to retain his rights, but will have to give him a raise. Would be worth way more at the deadline if he had 2 or 3 years left on the contract at a reasonable cap hit of 4-5. Also, even if the Oilers are sellers, it would be a terrible decision to trade nurse at the deadline, Oilers defence is not strong enough as is, so why would you trade a second pairing defensemen for picks/prospects. Anyone buying at the deadline isn't giving you a second pairing defensemen back for nurse. You would be getting a downgraded roster player + prospects picks.

The only way a 1 year deal with Nurse works good for the Oilers is if he has a terrible season, then maybe they can get him for a little less money. With Sekera down the Oilers can not afford for Nurse to not be signed by the start of the season. SO now the pressure is on the Oilers to sign him prior to training camp. when last week they could risk him missing camp and the first few games of the season.
That is why I said ..."Oilers are real close to saying he is a "Core" player." I don't think they are sure yet. My example of Chicago would Keith and Seabrook. I am not sure Nurse is at that type of caliber yet. Good teams that compete in the playoffs each year have true #1 and #2 d-man. Tampa, L.A., Pitts, and in the case of the Preds that have 2 #1's and 2 #2's
Oiler's will be fairly gun shy in over paying right now and they need Lucic to elevate he game considerable to change that.

2. If the Oilers are sellers at this years deadline than 2 areas are going to get a huge shake up, defense and goal tending. Who else would give you a high enough draft pick to trade for a #1 or #2 in a package deal next summer. The Oilers got to stop looking at who the best d-man on our team compare to each other and start looking at other teams, because the Oilers don't play themselves all season. If the goal is win the Stanley Cup, where do you think Nurse would fit in roster wise on the Preds or Ligthing?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Buy out Sekera..... hes done now.

Shop for some kinda D.
We'll give you T.J. Brodie.... I really was hoping he'd be traded...I'm betting he doesn't do any better than last year
PERSONALLY wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill
Old 08-15-2018, 12:18 PM

The Oilers will stink it up and underperform for yet an an umpteenth season, and Flamer fans will will remind Oiler fans at every opertunity how bad they are, as they are also stinking it up and underperforming
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
We'll give you T.J. Brodie.... I really was hoping he'd be traded...I'm betting he doesn't do any better than last year
Put Brodie in a super reduced roll..... and hed be fine.

Hey.... we grabbed Russel..... hes doing what we need him to do.

Flamers make fun of The Lucic contract... they have a long tradition of doing stuff like that AND miss using guys.

Sekera was not going to play a big roll this year anyhow..... pick up Davidson.... get a vet that might have potential... well be good.

Were playoff bound boys! Gonna be a fun season!

Go Mighty Oil!!!!

Im in Edmonton right now.... wishin there was an Eskies game I could take in.

Not much ya do here when your broke....
Old 08-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
That is why I said ..."Oilers are real close to saying he is a "Core" player." I don't think they are sure yet. My example of Chicago would Keith and Seabrook. I am not sure Nurse is at that type of caliber yet. Good teams that compete in the playoffs each year have true #1 and #2 d-man. Tampa, L.A., Pitts, and in the case of the Preds that have 2 #1's and 2 #2's
Oiler's will be fairly gun shy in over paying right now and they need Lucic to elevate he game considerable to change that.

2. If the Oilers are sellers at this years deadline than 2 areas are going to get a huge shake up, defense and goal tending. Who else would give you a high enough draft pick to trade for a #1 or #2 in a package deal next summer. The Oilers got to stop looking at who the best d-man on our team compare to each other and start looking at other teams, because the Oilers don't play themselves all season. If the goal is win the Stanley Cup, where do you think Nurse would fit in roster wise on the Preds or Ligthing?
I think you might be the first Oilers fan to not be over valuing your assets. Nurse should be a top 4 defencemen on any team in the league, within the next few years, assuming he continues to progress up. I think now he would be a #3/4 D on most teams. The problem is top pairing defence don't come available very often, and when they do you have to over pay for them.

No matter how bad the team performs this year, they should not be looking to trade Nurse, unless you are getting someone like Eric Karlsson back.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 PM

If we get Nurse for 4 years at 5.25mil.... dats a good deal.

He’ll trend up again this year. You can count on it.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Shop for some kinda D.
Main buyout window is over. AFAIK, Oilers have no players up for arbitration, so the 'irregular' buyout window is not available.
https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

I like Sekera. This is a tough break for a good player.
He goes on LTIR. Maybe he gets the Hossa disease.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Shop for some kinda D.
Why.....
Buy out Lucic
Or they should have
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Default Age and knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Why.....
Buy out Lucic
Or they should have
At 32 with an ACL replacement..... thats really really tough to come back from.

No way hes gonna be anyway good coming back from that and now a tendon...?

Ive had two sport ACL injuries that required replacement.

Recovery back to form was easy when I was 25.... way harder when I was 36.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Shop for some kinda D.
As mentioned the buyout window has passed, however, I think you would end up paying 2-2.5 mil on your cap for 5 more years if you were to buy him out.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Also you guys can't sign Nurse to a long term deal, you have no cap space!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Default SOILERS- Same Crap but with Less CAP

The SOILERS need to trade Hyphen before he too gets injured (again) for the long term. They are a Draft Lottery Team
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Oil should start playing Simon & Garfunkel tune Sound of silence when they skate onto the ice, "hello darkness my old friend' haha
Old 08-15-2018, 05:15 PM

You'd think they've already contact Enstrom and/or Franson. Who likely figure they've got as good a chance of making Edmonton's D-core than most teams out there.