Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 05:36 PM

Default FHA Auction

Fur lots are posted on FHA accounts
Old 03-16-2024, 10:57 AM

Thanks, now we need some good sales prices. Got to pick them Far East Bidders by pant cuffs and shake some more money $$ out of them.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:11 PM

Day one results are up.

https://www.furharvesters.com/result...ar24usDAY1.pdf
Top lot black bear was 1110$!? What’s that about?
Old 03-23-2024, 12:00 PM

Guys I missed going online for marten and fisher. What were the prices$$.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:31 PM

Both were up a fair bit. Guys that had marten there are happy I'm not sure what the ave will be though. Beavers were hot I ave 44.50 Canadian on 70. Muskrats almost no demand.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:53 PM

Default FHA auction

Anything on coyote prices?
Old 03-23-2024, 06:57 PM

Coyotes sell tomorrow. - hopefully…
Old 03-23-2024, 07:03 PM

Default FHA auction

Good luck with your coyotes.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:47 PM

Are day 2 results posted yet
Old 03-24-2024, 08:51 AM

Day 2
https://www.furharvesters.com/result...ar24usDAY2.pdf
Old 03-24-2024, 10:13 AM

Default marten/fisher

Very pleased with marten numbers now coming up, especially when converted to Ca$. Cannot figure why male fisher are getting better prices than females now.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:14 PM

Coyotes are brutal, first 10 lots couldn't even get 50 or any low ball offers. All the lower end stuff going at least
Old 03-24-2024, 12:50 PM

I seen some Coyotes going for 7$. At that price is it even worth the cost to ship them to the auction? When is the castor sold?

Day 3 results
https://www.furharvesters.com/result...ar24usDAY3.pdf

Last edited by Dubious; 03-24-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:41 PM

Castor is sold private treaty sometime from now until about a week from now.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:48 PM

For a $24.00 coyote they can lay right where I shoot them.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:28 PM

Auction was interesting, impressive and disappointing all at the same time.

Interesting was the good attendance of buyers, believe it may be a record attendance? Interesting was no Private treaty, allowing wheeling and dealing later. I think this was very wise! Interesting was how low the Beaver numbers shipped - 45,000 when the market is better, when there is no NAFA to compete, when Ontario once produced 4x times this in a season? As my wise friend told me, most of the good Beaver trappers are long gone. This is one animal that demands that you have the beaver handling expertise to put up the catch. As most know, trapping the Beaver is generally the easiest part of the whole exercise! (and exercise it is! ha )

Impressive was how well the FHA auctioneers (all trappers I believe) did. They worked for every dollar. Impressive was the wicked Bobcat demand / prices. The buying has been very selective over the past few years, with a lot purchased selectively here and there. Not TODAY! Strong demand... It was also somewhat impressive to see the marten and lynx both advance back to levels where these premium pelts should be! This should get more trapline activity next year, especially if the winter conditions are a more normal than this last seasons weirdness.

Disappointing for me was Muskrats and Coyotes. Hey, the flavour is not there right now. Will carry some hope into the next sale on rats - there were some reasonable prices on these pesky ranch mink on the sale .... may be foreshadowing the RETURN OF THE RAT. Regarding Coyotes, FHA auctioneer said they could only go 10% under valuations on the bidding. THe better goods were therefore "protected" ... and Low Ball bids as mentioned by another poster was not possible.

Working on the next shipment of Beavers once this late winter hit retreats and the spring break up resumes. It is time to kick it into high gear.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:18 AM

Default coyote

Boy the bottom has fallen out of our coyotes, thanks to Canada Goose. Some of the lots were offered at $3.00 to $5.00 and no one even bid. No longer worth fuel or shell to shoot them.
Western and central red fox at $9.32 and $7.31 average is also terrible with no Covid.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:19 PM

Canada Goose didn’t really have that great of effect on the coyote market. The biggest effect is the Russian Ukraine war. These two countries were the biggest purchasers of coyotes, followed by China. Until things settle down in this area we probably won’t see much of a change.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:07 AM

All my fur is up for the second sale. Disappointing prices as I shipped some big dogs! Hopefully marten prices are good on the next sale too.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Canada Goose didn’t really have that great of effect on the coyote market. The biggest effect is the Russian Ukraine war. These two countries were the biggest purchasers of coyotes, followed by China. Until things settle down in this area we probably won’t see much of a change.
Actually CG dropping out was catastrophic to our coyote market. They used an obscene amount of fur. Thats what it takes to ramp the market up, companies that use massive volumes. The other factor is having competition to the company with massive needs. The Italians took the highest quality skins at whatever it took to buy, then Canada Goose would battle with the rest of the users. When NAFA ended, then a Chinese buyer bought everything he could get his hands on, including from basically all the country buyers and he woukd supply CG and many others.

When CG quit coyotes, he had quite a pile of skins to burn thru, and i believe he still is selling them. When he is depleted of coyote skins, this will likely help coyote demand and price. He is entrenched in China and much of our demand stems from there, thus when he sells skins and strips, we dont, as we already did our selling to him a few years ago.

There is some life in the coyote market right now, just not much at auction… currently.

Ukraine/Russia, the war isnt helping us, but neither party is dead in the water by no means, Russia in particular, i just dont see or hear of much Russian or Ukrainian/USSR-former states interest in coyotes. Hopefully the war settles and western Ukaraine doesnt get affected with their taneries and felting businesses.

On a positive note, this is the last year of Denmark mink, the last of the Kopenhagen Fur Exchange mink will be sold, then the world mink production and markets should stabilize. As the last of the Danish mink sell, the massive glut of pre-covid mink should be getting used up, could create a buzz in the fur world shortly. We see marten recovering steadily, lynx, fisher and even wild mink up slightly…. could get interesting very shortly.

But we stuck with Liberal fuel tax at least until end of 2025. Hopefully we can afford to produce.

The market needs fur to recover, no fur, no recovery.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:26 AM

Thanx for the report Marty , its a shame that all that " green organic natural produced resource " is used more..I mean what is more natural than fur as a clothing product ? Let's hope the market especially on coyotes rebounds to at least some extent where we can cover our cost to harvest them ... farmers ,ranchers and game population need our help ..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2024, 06:58 AM

If I can remember right one of the Canadian Goose Reps that were trying to get the trappers sighe into a program with them said that there was 800 000 pieces of clothing with trim on them, sold in 80 different country’s. An I think it was around 200 000 coyotes they would use. Marty may know better but those were the numbers I remembered the Rep said. I would say they were the big player. A then all the knock offs trying to replicate there products.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I seen some Coyotes going for 7$. At that price is it even worth the cost to ship them to the auction? When is the castor sold?

Day 3 results
https://www.furharvesters.com/result...ar24usDAY3.pdf
Those prices are in USA dollars... ouch
Old 04-18-2024, 07:06 PM

I'm not a trapper, but shoot coyotes. I had 11 held over from last year and they sold in this last auction. 4 @ 42.24 for the highest price, and 1 @ 6.50 for the lowest. The rest all in between, for an average of $26.91.
I enjoy hunting them and helping out the ranchers, and will continue to put up any that look reasonable. I just have a real hard time leaving what used to be a $40-50.00 coyote in the field. I guess I'll have to get used to it.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Hopefully the Wongerman has depleted his 200,000 coyote inventory, if not yet then soon, and we can be back to $40 average at least, all in like prior to the NAFA - CG daze!

Id sure like it better if FHA would just auction good quality skins only, no more PT sales on them. Except in a glut market obviously.

The problem with PT sales in a limited market is you get rid of/eliminate/prevent the necessary competition required for the prices to increase. As a trapper I hate them, as a buyer I love them… and very handy too, just call the fur store! But if Bob just needs 1000 skins and Georgie 2000 and etc (the other would be active bidders) and they buy over the phone, they dont come back and bid goods up when needed cuz they already satisfied their needs.

One thing to have 75,000 skins that nobody wants, but when theres zero production, not really necessary.

Last edited by Marty S; 04-19-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Hopefully the Wongerman has depleted his 200,000 coyote inventory, if not yet then soon, and we can be back to $40 average at least, all in like prior to the NAFA - CG daze!

Id sure like it better if FHA would just auction good quality skins only, no more PT sales on them. Except in a glut market obviously.

The problem with PT sales in a limited market is you get rid of/eliminate/prevent the necessary competition required for the prices to increase. As a trapper I hate them, as a buyer I love them… and very handy too, just call the fur store! But if Bob just needs 1000 skins and Georgie 2000 and etc (the other would be active bidders) and they buy over the phone, they dont come back and bid goods up when needed cuz they already satisfied their needs.

One thing to have 75,000 skins that nobody wants, but when theres zero production, not really necessary.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2024, 10:51 AM

Default Fha

Got my big fur check along with FHA prices. Actually their were quite a few positives, 2x/3x beaver upto $106, Fisher up 50% to $83.40,otter up 25%, marten up 45% to $87.52, mink up 100%, lynx up 23% etc.
It is only coyotes and fox prices that showed no movement.
Best news was highest FHA attendance of bidders ever with strong support from Italy, Greece, China and Korea.