Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Great Beetle Work

Hi

I took my elk euro mount to a member on here, SageValleyOutdoors and he did an amazing job! Super nice guy who knows what he’s doing and charged very reasonable rates. I will definetly be using his services.

If you are in need of bettles I’d strongly recommend!
Old 10-22-2020, 11:37 PM

Pictures?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 10:06 AM

Hey op, have you ever had an euro done the boiling way? I had mine done this way, Guy charged me $150 and it turned out amazing. 3 week turn around. Im new too euro mounts so what’s the benefit of beetles? Would love to see the op’s elk for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Hey op, have you ever had an euro done the boiling way? I had mine done this way, Guy charged me $150 and it turned out amazing. 3 week turn around. Im new too euro mounts so what’s the benefit of beetles? Would love to see the op’s elk for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>>
Man that looks good. Awesome contrast between the skull and horns.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Here are pictures - I didn’t ask for it to be whitened - I wanted to do myself so the pictures are pre-whitened. He will whiten if you want. He also installed mounting bracket for me (can see in picture) and put a clear coat on antlers. I did a boiled one myself in past didnt turn out as nice as beetles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC47298F-4F9E-4DC4-A9DB-29BBADF73513.jpg (28.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:33 PM

Sorry seems my last post didn’t add second picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2B5B2CD-913E-46DC-9115-29E2622C5952.jpg (27.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Looks good! Overal I imagine the beetles are less stress on the skull and you always get the same great results. I’ve done a Euro myself too and I did a terrible Job.

Interesting idea on the mounting hardware. I’ve been thinking on how I’m going to mount mine. I’m going to give the DIY mount a try ( bend 3” L bracket w/ a carriage bolt mounted out the top). I’ll post a pic when it’s done....
Old 10-24-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Euros

$150 is a great price for an elk boil, sounds like maybe you saved some money cause he didn’t whiten after or mount it on a plaque? Regardless, it looks awesome!

Beetles do great work and are easier on the bone. Boiling and pressure washing works too and it’s how I’ve been doing it, but sometimes you lose some of the thinner skull material. This has never bothered me, I’m not overly worried about the thin fine bones inside the mouth and nose as much as I am the overall trophy.

For deer euros, a life hack I came across... wait for it.... curtain rod brackets are perfect for holding a deer skull up. They fit right inside the skull, you have to tilt the skull back to get it on the bracket, then they will latch nicely into the groove for the curtain rod. Pick your size and colour, they are so darn cheap compared to the skull hooker brackets and works like a charm.

I make custom plaques for some of mine and for friends, then attach the skull to the plaque using a large screw through the plaque into the base of the skull. This even works well for moose with a large enough screw to support the weight. Then I use the exact same hardware SSTL used on the skull but on the back of the plaque, they are very sturdy.

Last edited by DeadEyeGardner; 10-24-2020 at 08:31 AM.