Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Boots

I'm looking for new boots but feeling lost with all the options. I know to buy something waterproof, 8-10" tall, and bugs enough for good socks. Boots will be used for September/October when the mornings are cold but the afternoons are warm. Hunting prairies, will likely never be on a mountain. Would I be best off going with a 400gr, 600gr, or 800gr insulated boot? All advice/suggestions welcome.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:23 PM

miendel - sometimes cabela's has them branded under their name. I cannot remember but the forces and correctional officers etc use a different w.german brand that are very good as well
Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 PM

If you are not hunting Nov. I would stay away from insulation unless you have a problem with cold feet or in a stand for hours on end.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-13-2020, 04:04 PM

Keens make a great boot. Nice and wide for my clodhoppers.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:09 PM

What's your budget?
Old 04-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Hands down the best boot I have owned are Hanwag, not cheap but awesome boots.
bought them form Jim Bows in Calgary
Old 04-13-2020, 05:22 PM

I have 2 pair of Danner's one is the 10" canadian with 600gr insulation, the other are 8" pronghorn's uninsulated, both great boot's, I have worn the canadians in -20 without getting cold feet, of course the pronghorns are my warm weather go to boot.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:31 PM

Thumbs up Boots

Check out the Schnees Hunter II available in 10,13, and 16 inch models waterproof and warm built for walking through whatever ..... not cheap but good gear isn't is it
Old 04-13-2020, 05:40 PM

Had Keens . They let me down on a hunt. Running Scarpa now. Can't say enough how great these have been. I have found this to be the old " Buy once, cry once. Good luck . Wet, cold feet suck when you know your not leaving the field or bush
Old 04-13-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Hands down the best boot I have owned are Hanwag, not cheap but awesome boots.
bought them form Jim Bows in Calgary
X2
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM

When I was in the military, everyone used Lowa's.

Now I run Asolo's cause they were on sale.

I would recommend both.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:37 AM

For the condition you described, hard to beat Irish setter, Elk trackers. I still have the first pair I ever bought.. Miled out but still water proof, use 'em for chores now.. Got a new pair and hunt in them everywhere but the mountains..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2020, 07:58 AM

Check out Irish Setters. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:15 AM

Just remember that a breathable boot is NOT waterproof. It be water resistant but not water proof. My Miendel by Cabelas were good, comfortable and warm (800 grams) but let me down with keeping moisture out after two years. They have taken a beating in the uplands and elk woods and held up well but are pretty much done now. I did use water proofing on the leather but it did not help much.

I too am looking at the elk trackers.

Last edited by Captainkip; 04-14-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkip View Post
Just remember that a breathable boot is NOT waterproof. It be water resistant but not water proof. My Miendel by Cabelas were good, comfortable and warm (800 grams) but let me down with keeping moisture out after two years. They have taken a beating in the uplands and elk woods and held up well but are pretty much done now. I did use water proofing on the leather but it did not help much.

I agree, my Cabela Miendel boots are pretty comfortable, fairly light and somewhat warm but definitely not waterproof. They aren't a high end boot but they also weren't cheap which is frustrating. I have tried on the Elktrackers after hearing good things and I found them very uncomfortable for my feet.

Going to give the Hanwags a go next I think.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Check out Irish Setters. You won’t be disappointed.
I have a set of Elk Trackers going on five years now and love them.
However in the early fall or sppring when things are nasty on the ground for wet, I use Muck boots.
I can walk all day in them with no issues.
Cat
Old 04-14-2020, 12:58 PM

The elk trackers have the steel shank which may be too stiff. I have now looked at the Zamberlan Guide and Hanwag Tatra top.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:

That has not been my experience at all. Not one iota. I’ve got work boots that I can work outdoors in 45 deg weather, pull my foot out of my boot and the socks are dry because the boot “breaths”. With the same boots I can stand in 6” water all day and my socks will also be dry.

My 7 year old hanwags have never left me with damp or wet feet in any conditions from the outside and my sweat evaporates out too although I don’t hunt often in 20 plus deg temps.

You need a quality boot and a good maintenance regime. If you don’t know how easy it is to plug or destroy a goretex membrane you should do some research. I’ve read plenty of threads how guys use mink oil, bear fat and all manner of other home or store bought leather “conditioners” and then they complain the boots leak and goretex is a scam. You need to know what your dealing with and what to put on it or your going to be disappointed.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That has not been my experience at all. Not one iota. I’ve got work boots that I can work outdoors in 45 deg weather, pull my foot out of my boot and the socks are dry because the boot “breaths”. With the same boots I can stand in 6” water all day and my socks will also be dry.

My 7 year old hanwags have never left me with damp or wet feet in any conditions from the outside and my sweat evaporates out too although I don’t hunt often in 20 plus deg temps.

You need a quality boot and a good maintenance regime. If you don’t know how easy it is to plug or destroy a goretex membrane you should do some research. I’ve read plenty of threads how guys use mink oil, bear fat and all manner of other home or store bought leather “conditioners” and then they complain the boots leak and goretex is a scam. You need to know what your dealing with and what to put on it or your going to be disappointed.
What do you use for your Hanwags ? Sounds like it’s working.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have 2 pair of Danner's one is the 10" canadian with 600gr insulation, the other are 8" pronghorn's uninsulated, both great boot's, I have worn the canadians in -20 without getting cold feet, of course the pronghorns are my warm weather go to boot.

I couldn't agree more on the 10 in. Danner Canadians. I keep mine well maintained and the only time they are not waterproof is when I get in too deep.
I use them to about -10. My wife wears Pronghorns and she loves them, but they are not waterproof nor any good in sub zero conditions. For that we change to felt Valenkis.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:44 PM

Another Danner fan here. I don't remember which model I have but I've had them for 10 years and they are amazing boots. Not sure if Danner still does it but they used to replace the whole boot minus the leather for $200 US. You basically got a new boot.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
What do you use for your Hanwags ? Sounds like it’s working.

I use this on my hanwags.

Plenty of things will damage goretex and lead to wet feet.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The elk trackers have the steel shank which may be too stiff. I have now looked at the Zamberlan Guide and Hanwag Tatra top.
They aren't stiff at all, comfortable all day on normal terrain.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I use this on my hanwags.

Plenty of things will damage goretex and lead to wet feet.
Thanks