Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Who calls in spring black bears?

So who all calls in spring black bears? Which calls have you found to be most effective?

Thinking I might give it a whirl this spring...
Old 04-13-2020, 03:47 PM

If you can find a call that sounds like a dozen day old doughnuts, I think that would be the ticket.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:54 PM

I mostly use calls to bring in bears I have already spotted in the distance but are in a bad position to stalk. I have had very little results blind calling

Fawns and rabbit in distress calls work

Last edited by Smoky buck; 04-13-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I mostly use calls to bring in bears I have already spotted in the distance but are in a bad position to stalk. I have had very little results blind calling

Fawns day rabbit in distress calls work
Had this work for me also. I think if you set up in an area with sign you could probably call them in blind,worth a try. I mostly see bears when the day has warmed up into the teens.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:41 PM

I find an elk calf call to be best even here in Minnesota where we do not have elk. A fawn bleat works very well also. Be cautious if you call in bush, bears are incredibly good at getting in unseen.

Osky
Old 04-14-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I find an elk calf call to be best even here in Minnesota where we do not have elk. A fawn bleat works very well also. Be cautious if you call in bush, bears are incredibly good at getting in unseen.

Osky
This sounds like a good idea. Will probably try this if I see one. I don't think calling blind will be very effective in our area.

I guess you never know though...
Old 04-14-2020, 08:11 AM

I used to look forward to calling bears every year, I used a cub distress call often when I knew there were bears in the area .
Two issues with using the distress call of a young prey animal or the distress call of a cub are
A: if you have a boar in the area hS is going to be coming in to a dinner bell .
B: if there is a sow in the era with Cubs she nay just send them up s tree then come in to help out what she thinks may be a lost cub or or come in to lay a beating on whatever is about to harm said cub!
Either way , these situations tend to invite trouble and arevless than desirable to anyone but a young and crazy Hunter with a longbow or caplock muzzle loader!
After my wife and I had the kids I decided that spotting and stalking was a better alternative....
Cat
Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM

Remi Warren's recent podcast on calling was interesting - he's found that he's gotta call for 45-60 minutes nearly continuously to get someone to show. That's a hell of a long time to blow on a call.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Remi Warren's recent podcast on calling was interesting - he's found that he's gotta call for 45-60 minutes nearly continuously to get someone to show. That's a hell of a long time to blow on a call.
Even when calling bears that are spotted at a distance first you need to be aggressive on the call or they don’t come all the way in

And like catnthehat mentioned you are ringing a dinner bell so be on your toes. They seem to either sneak in or come in fast. This can make things interesting at times
Old 04-14-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post

Osky
Not to mention, you don't have the big brown ones there.

Grizz
Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not to mention, you don't have the big brown ones there.

Grizz

Grizzlies are way more fun to call too bad Alberta has not reopened the hunt
Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

I have had mixed results up here using a number of different sounds and call manufacturers.

I find the fawn distress call works best of the sounds I have available. I don't have bear cub or elk sounds or calls.

I find that as often as not they run for the hills at the first call. I suspect because of the number of Wolves in the area.
I suspect that the ones that run have responded to a call in the past and found a Wolf on a fresh kill that was very protective of it's kill.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-14-2020, 11:52 AM

Elk call works I have had too many show up in fall looking for a meal.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Remi Warren had a great podcast recently about calling bears. It jives with my experience calling bears. We had one come in to a calf Elk distress last year. It seems to take them a while to decide to come in. I will definitely be trying it again this spring.

I love Cutting The Distance with Remi Warren | Ep. 34: Calling Bears in New Mexico and Essential Tactics for Filling Your Spring Tag, let's play it!
https://www.podbean.com/ea/dir-nxsgf-877cce5

Remi Warren is a hunting God
Old 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM

Province just shut down ALL OHV access and fires to Crown land....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...92#post4149992
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Province just shut down ALL OHV access and fires to Crown land....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...92#post4149992
Not up here , the staging areas all hVe vehicles in them and the mirgjnour just hit back with his SxS and family from an outing

Cat
Old 04-14-2020, 08:13 PM

I liken the calling of bears to calling cats. Bobcats here are probably a 40 minute average time to shooting distance when called. We can only fall hunt but I have called them in the early summer for kicks and I do think they respond faster then however when the breeding kicks in heavy in June all bets are off.
In this country there are tons of deer stands in the bush and most people who build them clear some good shooting lanes adjacent. No matter the time of year they make excellent calling positions.

Osky

Tags
bear, black bear, calling, spring black bear