Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Default 2018 Draw Plans

So what is everyone planning to apply for? Since I drew antlered moose and trophy pronghorn last year. I won't be trying to draw any tags this year. I will build priority for antlered moose and elk, but I likely won't even purchase any tags for big game this year.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Will put in for antlered mule deer rest will be 9 9 9

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So what is everyone planning to apply for? Since I drew antlered moose and trophy pronghorn last year. I won't be trying to draw any tags this year. I will build priority for antlered moose and elk, but I likely won't even purchase any tags for big game this year.
I will likely 999 my Trophy Antelope again, it's at the point I can draw it anytime now, but trying to organize time for the hunt with my grandson is like trying to herd cats. Other than that I will likely purchase the obligatory White tail tag ( not sure why, I haven't shot one in a number of years now) Other than that I will focus on waterfowl and upland this year
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Since it is safe (no worry about having to figure out if I have the time or opportunity to hunt) and cheap (price of a cup of coffee), I will do like everybody else,,,, I will just 999 every draw there is,,,, just in case I may want to actually hunt something when I retire and then I can jump in to the head of the line ahead of all the young whipper snappers under 60!!!

Wait a minute I am retired,,,,, Can you bequeath your priority points to grandchildren?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Hoping to draw moose this year. That'll be a first for me. A friend at work wants to take me on a general elk hunt as well which would also be a first.

Other than that I think a general Whitetail. And would like to get a nice muley buck (I saw him last year) but doubt I can get that tag in the zone I hunt.

No high priority tags yet.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 01:00 PM

I’m looking at getting antlerless elk at Suffield. If that doesn’t work out I’ll go after general elk and Whitetail.

Girlfriend is due for for antlerless mule, so that should be a given.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:09 PM

All 999,s
I just I hope I don’t miss the deadline like last year.
Got back from a trip to SKorea at 7pm and fell asleep til midnight, arggg.
Don’t leave it til last day folks.

TBark
Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM

I used my P14 trophy antelope last year and am still several years away from antlered elk/moose/mule in the areas I hunt. So 999 for everything.

My group shares our meat though and I think we should get two cow moose draws this year so at least I won’t go hungry.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:45 AM

Hoping P3 is enough for antlered moose in my unit this year?
P3 on mule buck also,gotta do some research to see where my best options are for that?
Other then that,General elk and WT as always,bear tag just in case I stumble into a real brute or nice color phase,don't think I'll bother with supplementals this year,let the young feller shoot a 2 or 3 deer instead.Probly also try to get him a late season cow elk tag near home or Suffield maybe?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:47 AM

I may put in for my mule buck with my dad out west this yes. Lots of waterfowl if I get the time off. My nephew will be going for antlered elk in 509 and my wife will be going for antlered moose in wainwright muzzy season and deer first rifle. Other than that typical WT and maybe a combo bear hunt with my buddy if he draws his early season moose.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Banned

Early or late season cow elk. Can't decide because if I don't get drawn the early season is not much good at my house for the landowners tag.
Mule deer? Unsure what to do here. Would like to go south for that but don't know what area. Suggestions are appreciated.
Antelope don't know if I got enough priority but my dad does and if he behaves i might take him hunting. Lol.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:18 PM

I’m gonna try for my moose this year, and a herd of 999s
Just curious, when is the deadline to apply?
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

348 bull moose
peace river or drum Antler mule deer undecided which route to go
Sheep
General antler elk
Old 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Going to pull the pin on my WT and MD does down south ........ no point in adding priority past 100% guarantee of a tag. Still way short of trophy antelope here in 148, so 999 that for sure. Drew Mule buck & cow elk last year. Have an outside chance of bull moose in 348 or almost certain chance of cow moose at Wainwright so a decision to be made there since I can only apply for one. Hold a P8 for deer and P7 for elk at CFB Wainwright , but will be keeping those in my back pocket for now.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM

Antlered moose early season for me this year , but I might get it with a bow, GP area.
Mule antlered in the east 200 or 202 not sure yet.
Have 12 priority for antelope but don't know any landowner to ask for permission so not sure , maybe again 999.
General elk .
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 PM

I'm a p10 on nearly everything but elk and moose.

Might put in for wainwright, not to keen on the gong show there so probably 999.

Waiting for sask whitetail results. Probably just general elk and whitetail for me this year.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Antlered moose early season for me this year , but I might get it with a bow, GP area.
Mule antlered in the east 200 or 202 not sure yet.
Have 12 priority for antelope but don't know any landowner to ask for permission so not sure , maybe again 999.
General elk .
There are a lot of zones with very large grazing leases that you could put in for antelope. As long as there isn’t a huge drought and widespread fire bans, you should be able to do the hunt without having to lock up private land. Use the SRD website and contact the lease managers. Some of the large operations can have 100 sections of lease land that you could gain access to. Follow the rules as laid out and good luck.

Only downside is you will need to pull the tag and wait and see on drought conditions and be hopeful. Doesn’t do much good asking ranch managers permission in may for a October hunt in southern Alberta.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 PM

General white tail tag and build priority for moose, and Mule deer. My wife and I try to alternate tags for suffield elk every year, but every time I go it's a bit of a **** show and it seems to get worse every year. But hey, it's a cheap quick meat run, so what the hell!! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 PM

Pulled my antelope tag last year at P13 and shot a 77 4/8. But still have non trophy and archery but those will wait a couple years. Might try to get an antlered moose and non trophy sheep. Also had my eye on a young MD buck that was a solid 180" last year and I should be able to get drawn for him and hopefully take him with my bow. My mom, dad and brother, wife and I should all be able to be drawn for antlerless at suffield to fill the freezer if all else fails.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 AM

999 everything, just going OTC tags for Alberta this year.

Anxiously awaiting Sask whitetail draw results. Really hoping for this one to happen, everything is lined up. Got the land access, got the time, I just need the tag.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 AM

Antlered Mule Deer will 999 again. Waiting for my hunting partner to get high enough to draw. I think I safe to draw anywhere in Alberta now for antlered Mule Deer.

Might pull my trophy Antelope and do a solo hunt in Manyberries area. Never hunted Antelope and my hunting buddies have no desire to hunt them. So I might give it a try.

Everything else will be 999 again this year.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Wife has got a P8 on mule deer and will be drawing it with a good friend on the 'wives hunt' this year. Hopefully find a couple really good bucks.

I'm bouncing around the idea of using my priority for mulie as well, but in a different zone. Tough to say.

We both used up our antelope points last year on what likely will be one of our last Alberta pronghorn hunts. Had a great hunt and both managed to shoot really nice bucks.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM

I’ll apply for everything...because it’s sooo cheap

I might pull my archery antelope tag this year, hope things aren’t too crazy dry...I hunt on foot anyhow but hoping access isn’t cutoff for early season.

LC
Old 05-29-2018, 10:03 AM

999 for mostly everything this year. Not sure yet if I'll try to draw a anterless mule deer tag or go for a underscribed tag this year. I'll have general elk whitetail and mule deer this year also.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 AM

I should be able to draw a bull moose, antlered mulie, and possibly trophy antelope. I have some thinking to do...
Old 05-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I’ll apply for everything...because it’s sooo cheap
Might as well, everyone else does the same... When it’s basically free who cares.

Last edited by crazy_davey; 05-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Might as well, everyone else does the same... When it’s basically free who cares.
And then when you do draw a tag you really aren't interested in , you simply don't bother purchasing the tag. Who cares if someone that really wanted that tag didn't draw it , because you did?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Really hoping to get drawn for Bull moose and cow elk this year.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Default antlered moose in prairie zones

anyone have any intel on hunting bull moose in the prairie zones such as 102. I'm at a 6 or so and don't know if i want to hunt bull moose up in my area twice or wait for 1 tag in the southern areas. i think that would be a good trip though.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 AM

Waiting to see the results of the Sask whitetail draw as I'd like to do a hunt with my Grandpa. Otherwise I think I might be high enough for Antlered mulie in my area finally, if not then the guaranteed antlerless will fill the freezer nicely. Try my hands at a suffield hunt but if I don't get it I won't be too hurt. 999 for everything else and I'll just pick up and probably not fill the general white tail because those elusive little buggers on crown land always give me the slip.