Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 PM

Default Reloading

I was looking to purchase a Rock Chucker kit---Just looking to see about pros cons, starting from square one.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 PM

It’s got most everything you need especially the supreme deluxe kit.

The press is the golden standard to which all other presses are measured, that’s not saying it’s a deadlock cinch as the best, but it’s pretty hard to beat.

There’s a few extras you’ll need for small tools etc, but all in all it’ll get you outta the gate.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2018, 10:50 PM

Personally, I would not buy any of the “kits”. As Dick mentioned, there are other gizmo’s needed, but not included in the kits. The Rockchucker is a good press, but I would look for a beam scale with a good damper. I doubt you would use a powder measure for dispensing powder...I think most weigh?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:00 PM
Banned

I've got the supreme kit that dick mentioned. I did break my press a couple of years ago but that was not the presses fault. It was most of everything you need except calipers and dies. I did add a beam scale just to check my chargemaster.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 AM

My Rockchucker is almost 40 years old, and has loaded many thousands of rounds, and has done a fair bit of case forming. I have no plans to ever purchase another press. However, I have never owned a kit, and I never will. I use a Chargemaster for dispensing powder, a Universal Case Prep tool for trimming and chamfering, and a Universal Priming Tool for priming. These are expensive tools, but they are quick and do an excellent job. I actually prefer Redding dies over RCBS. For lube Imperial sizing lube works great, and they also make a graphite lube for the inside of case necks. Of the people that I know that reload, they either started with a cheap LEE kit, threw away the scale, and eventually bought a cast iron press, or they started with a cast iron press, and are still using it, many years later.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:47 AM

Whatever you do, if you are serious, do not buy that Lee kit. I speak as one who was down that road. People are gonna chime in and say "Ya but..." Trust me.

The thing about the kits are that none of the stuff I see in the RCBS kits are superfluous, and when bought on sale, offer really good value compared to buying individually. Site sponsor, Prophet River regularly has them on sale with no tax and $25 flat rate shipping. They are actually on sale now. Their prices just can't be beat within Canada on RCBS kits. All you need extra are your dies, shellholders, and a set of calipers if you don't have any.

http://store.prophetriver.com/rcbs-r...age-press-kit/

Last edited by sns2; 05-19-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 AM

I just got the deluxe RCBS kit. It had pretty much everything, just needed dies and calipers.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM

I started with a rock chucker kit 20 years ago. Added a couple of items at the time and many more over the last 20 years IMO it's a great way to start out
Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Another long time (35 years) Rock Chucker owner. I bought the Rock Chucker kit after dabbling with a Lee Loader for a while, I have 0 regrets buying the RCBS kit. I still use every piece that came with it.... the scale and the powder thrower included, despite knowing there have been upgrades in that department over the years. Calipers and a trimmer, plus a few other small tools are all that I've added other than dies / shell holders.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 AM

I have a rockchucker that has done thousands of rounds over a 30 year time frame and it works. having said that, a forster co axial press is the one you want to load precise ammo, or go to a dillon 550/650 if you are going to reload tons of pistol or rifle ammo. stay away from the kits and watch youtube clips for do's and don'ts regarding reloading accessories like case trimmers and powder measures. also, a lot of these accessories are being manufactured offshore and the quality may not be a precise as it could be. inform yourself before throwing cash down.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Shooting Xs

Unless you have an experienced mentor to teach you ,first thing I would buy is a book called " The ABC's of Reloading", read it, then read it again.
The Lee kits ,bought mine real cheap to start out ,still use the powder measure daily ,for drop and trickle to weight. The press gets used for one cartridge ,.204 R with Lee dies. but it is really nice for the de-priming catch system. The rest of the kit was sold cheap or gave away.
I can pretty much say the same for the Rockchucker kit ,sold the powder dispenser ,the crap 5-0-5 made in Mexico scale ,used the hand priming tool for a few years ,no complaints there and small stuff. Replaced the scale with an older RCBS Ohaus made in the USA 5-10 scale and the primer with Lee's new bench mount.
Like most things these days ,most of this equipment is offshore made or casted ,then finished in USA . For a single stage I wouldn't hesitate buying the Lee heavy cast Classic ,say what you will about Lee ,but at least it's made in USA. The Dillon's for volume loading semi's.
That Forster co-ax is really nice ,agreed ,but a little pricey for starting out.
A kit will get you going ,and depending how far you want to get into reloading, you'll probably sell or upgrade as you go anyway ,once you figure things out.
You'll be able afford it with ALL THE MONEY YOU'LL SAVE RELOADING...lol.
I enjoy the hobby.
Welcome to the Money pit.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

I've had my rockchucker for 36yrs and it has loaded 1000's of rounds as well without any issues.i bought a rcbs power trimmer about 10yrs ago and that was another good investment.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM

I would look at the new MEC press.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned

I am going to disagree with the people on here saying stay away from the Lee. Is there better out there? Without question. But nobody on here knows what you’ll be doing, and how you’re set up financiall as reloading is not cheap. Is this the kit that you can afford or can you afford more? How many rounds will you reload in one session or in one year? Are you even going to like loading or need to do it?

I have one of those kits and I will be the first to say that I am only using the press still. Everything else has been changed out. I’m still not set up exactly how I want to be but I’m getting closer. What I have now works better than what’s in the kit, but what’s in the kit works as a start. The tools and equipment I’m looking to buy now is just convenience items such as a brass prep station and a digital powder dispensing scale. However the next big purchase for me should be an annealer. I want to get something like the Anneal-ez I think it’s called. Do lots of brass, not one piece at a time. I still have to research those a bit more and see if I can make something like that cheaper.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Reloading

Rock Chucker kit on order Prophet river--Got the $100 disc--Thanks for the help.
I was also looking for hard steel gongs in the calgary area--i already have the hanging frames---
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Rock Chucker kit on order Prophet river--Got the $100 disc--Thanks for the help.
I was also looking for hard steel gongs in the calgary area--i already have the hanging frames---
Good move on the kit. You'll be happy. Here is your gong...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10589...e-steel-target
Old 05-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
As the waiters in the posh restaurants say " Excellent selection Sir". Truly, you will be happy with the choice. If you decide to resell it for whatever reason you can get almost all of your money back and it will move fast. With Lee stuff most of the time you can't even give it away when you decide to upgrade. Lee's cast press, hand primer feeder with tray and their die sets are about the only thing they make that are worth owning. The rest is below junk in quality and doesn't stand up.

RCBS has a lifetime warranty. I have never paid for a replacement RCBS part, even when it was my fault it broke. RCBS and Redding make great product, and they stand behind them.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Lee's case trimming system is really good. I like lee's dies, especially the neck sizing die.

I bought a lyman t rex (?) kit years ago. I only have 2 pieces of it left. I've sold the rest off. I should have just bought the press on it's own. I have a mix mash of brands, and I have very little brand loyalty.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Good choice....I built a kit over 40 years of reloading....wish they had the kit when I started..

If you want precision....buy Wilson
If you want to up grade buy..... Lee
If you want to start out with most...everything you will ever need, buy .. an RCBS kit.
Are there even better tools out there then Wilson...you bet...but be ready to lighten your wallet.

BEFORE you reload 1 single round...READ your Reloading manual...then RE read it...then buy a couple more (read them). Cross reference loads. I have come across several loads in very good reloading manuals which have been extreme over loads...so I always cross reference loads and powder charges just in case.

Be very careful of the online reloading Guru.....Until you know what your doing.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 05-19-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:55 PM

My “basic” reloading gear consists of:
-RCBS press
-RCBS 10-0-10 beam scale
-Nylon brushes to clean inside necks
-Primer pocket uniformer to clean primer pockets
-Lee lock stud / mandrel trimmer to trim to length
-Lee chamfer tool
-Imperial/or Hornady Unique wax lube
-Hornady OAL gauge with modified cases
-Hornady comparator with caliber bushings
-Digital calipers
*I get load data info bullet or Powder sites.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Default gongs

if your looking for gongs maybe give these guys a search: http://www.steeltargets.ca/Gongs.html seems like there willing to do some custom work could be worth a phone call, there out of big valley.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Seems some of you prefer a beam scale over electronic, any reason why?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Seems some of you prefer a beam scale over electronic, any reason why?
Some of the cheap electronic scales are not consistent, and they can be effected by weak batteries or by external electrical devices. The better quality electronic scales are quite consistent, and if you look at the reading every time you lift the pan off to pour a powder charge, you can verify the calibration and the zero. I have used nothing but electronic scales for many years, and find that mine have been very reliable.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 AM

I'm not a big fan of kits. I've had them and parts get replaced until it becomes more cost effective to build your own. I use:

Forster Co-Ax press
Redding beam scale
RCBS powder measurer
Wilson case trimmer
Sinclair concentricity gauge
Sinclair nut comparator
Sinclair bump gauges
Sinclair COAL tool
Redding FL busing dies
Forster seating dies
Machinist pin gauges
Sinclair expander mandrels
Lee priming tools
Lee "O" press for bullet pulling

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm not a big fan of kits. I've had them and parts get replaced until it becomes more cost effective to build your own. I use:

Forster Co-Ax press
Redding beam scale
RCBS powder measurer
Wilson case trimmer
Sinclair concentricity gauge
Sinclair nut comparator
Sinclair bump gauges
Sinclair COAL tool
Redding FL busing dies
Forster seating dies
Machinist pin gauges
Sinclair expander mandrels
Lee priming tools
Lee "O" press for bullet pulling

It looks like the OP has made his decision. And a damned good one if I may say so.

And only one thing from your list is in his order.

Come to think of it I might have 3 things from your list, yet I’m turning out reloads that give me some pretty good results. You know 1 to 1/2 MOA or a bit better, on average.

I say run what ya brung, and if the results make you happy, who gives two stuffs if it’s bargain basement hand me downs, or Uber precise, chest beating, ego growing, creme de la creme gear.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
if your looking for gongs maybe give these guys a search: http://www.steeltargets.ca/Gongs.html seems like there willing to do some custom work could be worth a phone call, there out of big valley.
He definitely does custom work. Good guy to deal with and prices are good.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
It looks like the OP has made his decision. And a damned good one if I may say so.

Come to think of it I might have 3 things from your list, yet I’m turning out reloads that give me some pretty good results. You know 1 to 1/2 MOA or a bit better, on average.

I say run what ya brung, and if the results make you happy, who gives two stuffs if it’s bargain basement hand me downs, or Uber precise, chest beating, ego growing, creme de la creme gear.

It’s funny how threatened people get by opinions that they asked for. But I would have been FAR better off in the beginning if I had put my own kit together.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

That is exactly the point.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It’s funny how threatened people get by opinions that they asked for. But I would have been FAR better off in the beginning if I had put my own kit together.
I’m not threatened because I wasn’t the one asking for your opinion.

I simply provided my opinion, yet you seem to be behaving in a manner that you’ve indicated.

Just let it go Chuck!

Yes we've all made some errors in navigation way back when, but let’s just say that’s what makes us who we are, and that’s part of the learning curve.

The fact remains Chuck, you pretty much are in a very exclusive orbit, and if it works for ya, by all means fill yer boots.

My orbit is a bit more “cluttered” shall we say, and guess what, it works for myself, and quite a few others too.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-20-2018, 08:35 AM

Exclusive orbit? Your acting like this stuff is worth a million dollars. It isn’t. But it is good stuff, hardly the most expensive, but of great value. There is a BIG difference between value and cost.

-Billy Molls