Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Pickerel fillets

I don’t eat fish and I know nothing about the price of Fish but I noticed an add In The paper today.
4- 6oz portions of pickerel $18.00
Catchoftheweekedmonton.com
Might be worth a look, I’m kinda curious where the pickerel would come from?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Sounds like one fish cut in 4 pieces
Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
I don’t eat fish and I know nothing about the price of Fish but I noticed an add In The paper today.
4- 6oz portions of pickerel $18.00
Catchoftheweekedmonton.com
Might be worth a look, I’m kinda curious where the pickerel would come from?
My guess would be that pickerel probably comes from commercial fisheries in Manitoba. I was amazed when an Edmonton Superstore had frozen yellow perch fillets one time. They were from Manitoba.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 PM

when people say to me, "it would be cheaper to but fish from the super market than driving to catch a fish or two..." I always bring up the cost of walleye. I once worked out that the cost of a trout my dad caught aligned with the grey trout sold at sobeys, would have netted him about 67 bucks. a trout I caught a glenmore reservoir a week ago was worth an easy 75 bucks at sobeys prices. I'm sure the C&R Peta crowd will chime in to inform me of my bad ways.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
when people say to me, "it would be cheaper to but fish from the super market than driving to catch a fish or two..." I always bring up the cost of walleye. I once worked out that the cost of a trout my dad caught aligned with the grey trout sold at sobeys, would have netted him about 67 bucks. a trout I caught a glenmore reservoir a week ago was worth an easy 75 bucks at sobeys prices. I'm sure the C&R Peta crowd will chime in to inform me of my bad ways.

You caught a trout at Glenmore?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 PM

there was a guy selling lake trout, walleye and pike at the rimbey farmers market last year,
Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You caught a trout at Glenmore?
yes, and you can too.
with the lower levels down into the feeding grounds, your chances on getting a brute is much better than high water years. the murkiness helps a ton too.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:40 AM

I heard from a Fishmonger in Ontario that the very best source of Pickerel
(Walleye) fillets is from Winnipeg. He said that even if he can't order it in at
certain times from Manitoba, he won't even touch the stuff from Southern
Ontario because it is an inferior product.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 AM

You all must be from Skatchewan LOL cause a Pickerel is not even close to a walleye. Do some searchin' and you'll find it is more of a pike lookin' kind of a critter. I have this conversation with those RIDER fans all the time HA HA Prove me wrong........Grassy or Chain look it up
Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 AM

I still call a pickeral a pickeral because when I started fishing the word walleye wasn't invented yet. LOL. Anybody with 1/2 a brain knows that when an old timer such as myself talks of pickeral fishing, catching or eating, they know what we're talking about.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Yup know what your sayin' I'm no young buck by no means either but that is no PICKEREL. Guess it depends on maybe where you grew up and what dad and grandpa said they were From Northern Ontario Lac Suel area (Sioux Lookout) they all called them Pickerel also. 60 plus years ago. Walleye been around a long time and i will always call em dat lol
Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Still catchin hundreds of pickerel in Alberta every year.

If you figure in my costs(boat, gas, bait, tackle, etc.) those few keepers are very expensive. Buying from store would definitely be cheaper. Way cheaper.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Even my two dogs know that a pickeral is a walleye and they love eating pickeral as much as I do
Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Even my two dogs know that a pickeral is a walleye and they love eating pickeral as much as I do
Isn’t that just awesome.....I couldn’t get drawn for tags for 3 seasons, cant find a lake anymore where you can keep one without driving for 3 hours minimum and there you are feeding them to your dogs? f.c.s.....what is the world coming to....
Old 05-28-2018, 12:11 PM

Those things you call Pickerel might be the biggest PERCH you ever caught. Just a thought no expert by no means but it might start as Muskie, Northern Pike, Walleye, Perch, Blue Gill, Sun Fish (If you lived in southern Ontario) For some reason a bass comes into here.....not sure why. Got an 8 LB'R stuffed and mounted. Duck Lake North of Creston 25 years ago. Sirdar Bar what a blast
Old 05-29-2018, 07:57 AM

When I went fishing as a youngster with my Dad and His friends in the early 60's We fished a lot of lakes around Elk Point, St. Paul and Bonnyville. What I now know as Walleye were at the time called Pickerel. Some of those lakes we fished were awesome for Walleye(pickerel) and now speaking to locals around those lakes Walleye are now almost nonexistent. I think back then Pickerel was a nickname that We used. I never heard the word Walleye untill the 80's.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM
AO Sponsor

Pickerel... I think it's a Ukrainian thing!

When I was a kid, I confused a fish cop by calling a bobcat a Lynx cat... fur auction term. Sure confused the poor man. He went into a tither and wanted to immediately switch from missiles to guns.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Pickerel... I think it's a Ukrainian thing! .
Must be a Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans thing as well (at least to the year 2012 anyway)

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/comme...ction3-eng.htm

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/centr...-2007-eng.html

Annex: Western Canadian Freshwater Fisheries - List of Species
Common Name Genus Name
Carp = Cyprinus carpio
Goldeye = Hiodon alosoides
Inconnu = Stenodus leucichthys
Lake Trout = Salvelinus namaycush
Mullet = Catostomus commersonii
Northern Pike = Esox lucius
Perch = Perca flavescens
Pickerel = Sander vitreus
Sauger = Sander canadensis
Tullibee = Coregonus artedii
White Bass = Morone chrysops
Whitefish = Coregonus clupeaformis

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-esp...jaune-eng.html

" In English Canada, walleye are commonly called yellow pickerel or simply pickerel."

Last edited by cube; 06-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:57 PM

The best is the 1 pound bag of pickerel cheeks from Lake Winnipeg. Those are a delicacy.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM

you can order a 10 lb box from Isle La Crosse sask for about $150. All deboned and individually vacuum sealed.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
you can order a 10 lb box from Isle La Crosse sask for about $150. All deboned and individually vacuum sealed.
that's wayyyy cheaper than driving out and catching one to eat
Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 PM

When I was a kid, all our dads/uncles from the "old country" called them picker-lows ..... so I figure that's what they were for the first 12-15 years of my life until some talked about this "walleye" thing.

At the end of the day - everyone who uses a common name and not the classification can't be any wronger (or more correct) that the person's opinion to his left.

I knew this discussion would pop up.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Banned

In Ontario walleye are commonly referred to as pickerel. In fact, the only people that I've ever heard referring to them as walleye were Americans that came up to fish with outfitters and then it just sounded weird. I wonder if those Manitoba pickerel aren't really walleye.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Growing up, we always called walleye, pickerel and burbot, ling.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Fish name

Same here, pickerel and jack fish is what we called them. still do.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Banned

Do people feel they are somehow more sophisticated by calling a pickerel a walleye or a jackfish a northern pike when referring to a fish they caught in Alberta? Not once in my life have I ever referred to a pickerel or a jackfish while face to face with someone and had them say "A what?". But you get on the internet and all of a sudden everyone has to show you how smart they are and inform you they know the actual name of the fish you're using the slang term for. All the while preaching how they only catch and release. Except if fish is brain food, it would seem the guy keeping as many pickerel as the law will allow is obviously the smarter guy!

Rant over.

Fish is expensive to buy in the store but averages out to about $300/lb when you go catch it.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:39 AM

Meh. I find a lot of it is where you were born/raised. Mom's side of the family is from Sask/Manitoba. They always referred to them as pickeral. Myself born and raised in Alberta, they were always walleye to me. And to me a jackfish is a pike.
Much the same as Alberta/hoodie, Sask/bunny hug.
Call them whatever floats your boat
Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do people feel they are somehow more sophisticated by calling a pickerel a walleye or a jackfish a northern pike when referring to a fish they caught in Alberta? Not once in my life have I ever referred to a pickerel or a jackfish while face to face with someone and had them say "A what?". But you get on the internet and all of a sudden everyone has to show you how smart they are and inform you they know the actual name of the fish you're using the slang term for. All the while preaching how they only catch and release. Except if fish is brain food, it would seem the guy keeping as many pickerel as the law will allow is obviously the smarter guy!

Rant over.

Fish is expensive to buy in the store but averages out to about $300/lb when you go catch it.
I don't really care if people call them walleye or pickeral but the reason some may make the distinction is because there is a different species called chained pickeral. Mostly in Quebec and a couple of other eastern provinces.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I don't really care if people call them walleye or pickeral but the reason some may make the distinction is because there is a different species called chained pickeral. Mostly in Quebec and a couple of other eastern provinces.
Ya I know of the chain pickerel (just another jackfish) and a jack fish, that's why I specifically wrote a fish they caught in Alberta.

It doesn't matter to me what people call it, I know what they're talking about and don't see a need to correct anyone if they don't use the proper name. I find myself mostly using the term walleye these days, I guess I've been corrected enough times on the internet for it to rub off, but still use jack quite a bit. Seems people are more anal about their walleye than pike.

All this talk about fish got me wanting to hobble out to the river and wet a line!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Pickerel, snakes and black moriahs.