Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Default cheap & compact shooting bench?

what do y'all use for shooting groups that you can pop in the back of your car and set up really quick? I've been using a lawn chair and tripod but it's far from ideal

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 PM

PM duceman, and ask about his portable bench set up.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM

PM Ramonmark. He sells an excellent bench.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Garage sale plastic or wood table w folding legs. Remove legs. 3/4" or 1" plywood sheet cut to desired shape. Fasten on folding legs....

Another cheap small table type is the type built on a tripod stand. Find an old wood or plastic tripod ( type used for transit or laser level ) 3/4" or 1" plywood cut to fit with a nut epoxied into it to accept the threaded adapter on tripod.

Third option is 3/4" or 1" plywood cut to shape use 3/4" threaded floor flanges either 3 or 4 depending on your design. Then use 3/4"x36 or 48" threaded black pipe for the legs. Unthread to transport. The black pipe is the same type used for gas lines found at any hardware store.

Type 1&3 are generally a bit sturdier. Type 2 offers better stability than just a tripod and is a bit more versatile than 1&3

I have also played around with a built in seat on the type using threaded rod. I can't load pics right now but I'll try to explain

On the rear leg instead of using a full 36" pipe use 2 18" with a T in between. Thread a 24" into that T and put another T on the edge of that. Out of that T put two nipples( can be 4,5,or6" depending. On the ends of those nipples put 90deg angles facing down. Put 2 18" legs on them with caps on the bottom this forms the platform for the seat. Use some of the left over plywood from your top to cut a seat and use 1" plastic conduit clamps to secure seat to the frame. The whole thing unthread in minutes allowing the table to be hauled flat.
Because the seat portion is threaded in it can be swiveled around to accommodate a right or hand shooter
Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 AM

I use a collapsible/fold-up,liteweight steel framed card table like described in previous post,albeit in its original/unmodifed form.The 3x3 table top is vinyl covered and slightly padded,it folds up flat for transport and storage......I picked it up for $10 bucks at Value Village,it's around $50(?) new at Walmart?
For target stands I have a couple folding,steel frame "sandwich boards" like those used in construction zones along the highway etc..
Card table,folding camp chair,my shooting bags,sandwich boards= portable rifle range that I can set up in anywhere minutes.

Last edited by West O'5; 05-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 AM

I really like using my tailgate but that is frowned upon I'll continue to use it when I can get away with it but as an alternative, just like some posts ^^^^^ I pack a table with folding legs and a resin outdoor chair. The sturdier a setup as you can get will be what you really want. A rickety table and chair just won't cut it.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Not cheap at $800 a guy around Lloyd makes them looks like a sturdy unit.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3787...65034/?fref=nf

I use a piece of plywood and those cheap folding legs from canuck tire
Old 05-19-2018, 01:02 PM

My cheap table is a 2-level B&D WorkMate with a 18"x36" piece of 1/2" plywood with an attached 10" long 2x4 cleat on edge that is pinched between the vise sections of the table. Works like a dream. I have an original WorkMate; much better built than current versions.

Vic
Old 05-19-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
My cheap table is a 2-level B&D WorkMate with a 18"x36" piece of 1/2" plywood with an attached 10" long 2x4 cleat on edge that is pinched between the vise sections of the table. Works like a dream. I have an original WorkMate; much better built than current versions.

Vic
This ^^^
Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Default Herters folding shooting bench

Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM

I built my own hastily...thinking I'd build something larger/heavier/better when time allowed. It's not perfect, but works a little TOO well to be bothered making anything else. lol Top is slats of spruce I think I salvaged from lumber in our shop and cleaned-up in the thickness planer. Legs are CNC-cut, Baltic Birch ply (very hard/dense) assembled with 1/4-20 T-nuts fixed in place for joining the legs. Takes about 6-7 minutes to set-up/take-down.

A range 2 hours from me has wood benches that are very heavy/stable....and I took some photos/specs last time I was there. If my buddy will let me drop one of these on his (farm) property...I'm going to build one this August.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Home depot folding legs. Scrap plywood, 1.5 inch thick. Five gallon bucket for seat.
Works well. Sets up in seconds.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Backpack and sandbags. Bipod sometimes. Bring an extra coat to lay on.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Used it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
I have had the chance to shoot from this bench and it works well. Its very portable and surprisingly comfortable and stable.

here is link on where you can get one. price is about $200

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/85728
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Home depot folding legs. Scrap plywood, 1.5 inch thick. Five gallon bucket for seat.
Works well. Sets up in seconds.

This is pretty much exactly what I use.
Carry handle is a nice touch