Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2023, 09:42 AM

Default Damn sparrows,can i get rid of them?any solutions?

I could have lots of different species of birds in my yard.but the aggressive sparrows hog all the feeders and drive away other birds.does anyone have a solution?like zapping them or something?Thanks for any input.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:09 AM

Pellet gun
Old 07-08-2023, 10:11 AM

Meow…..
Old 07-08-2023, 10:51 AM

Default Traps

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=Sparrow+trap

I’m not sure if that link will work or not. If it doesn’t, just search sparrow trap. A repeating bait trap is a wonderful thing. If you prefer to not build your own, they can be purchased and are called an Uncle Blaine’s. Sparrows absolutely love Millet.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Meow…..
How do you train your cat to just catch the sparrows though...
Old 07-08-2023, 04:33 PM

Simple solution - get rid of the bird seed and fill your feeders with black-oil sunflower seeds. The sparrows don't like sunflower seeds but most of the other species do. That and the air rifle.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:47 PM

I only feed black oil sunflowers and have a plague of sparrows. Neighbor grows 100 acres of the sunflowers so I get cheap feed but the sparrows love em
Old 07-09-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
I only feed black oil sunflowers and have a plague of sparrows. Neighbor grows 100 acres of the sunflowers so I get cheap feed but the sparrows love em
Same.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:08 AM

Well i just watched a video on youtube about taking an electric fly swatter and turning it into a miniature tazer. So i dimantled one and put the wire part in the bottom of the feeder and the handle part in the garage and connected both with 50 feet of speaker wire,and it works fine,ill leave it now untill the sparrows get use to it then ill start zapping them and see how that goes,wish me luck lol,
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
How do you train your cat to just catch the sparrows though...
That is a problem. If you like birds in general cats are a bad idea.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
That is a problem. If you like birds in general cats are a bad idea.
True. Our six month kitten, just pounced on a chickadee. Knocked it senseless, then proceeded to eat it. Natural killers. Thankful they are only 6-8 lbs so far. If 30-40lbs, I would be careful…..Lynx like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE0316A1-DA59-4E49-A626-55D58925508A.jpg (39.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 509B1B72-C736-4440-88BF-8DAB87332EC9.jpg (33.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 71669A21-BB0C-4D17-8E4B-F02BDF1275F1.jpg (37.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-09-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
True. Our six month kitten, just pounced on a chickadee. Knocked it senseless, then proceeded to eat it. Natural killers. Thankful they are only 6-8 lbs so far. If 30-40lbs, I would be careful…..Lynx like.
If your cat gets 30-40lbs there a real good chance it isn't a house cat.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:25 PM

One thing that makes house sparrows unique, is there nesting habits, preferring structure over foliage. Blocking access as normal maintenance would go a long way in deterring them. As kids, we’d take an orange crate, hinge the lid, then prop it open precariously with a bread baited stick. Caught many, but would release them. We were also well practiced at throwing stones and picked off a few. Once we were old enough for pellet guns, we cleaned up the neighbourhood. This in the sixties in Saskatoon, and things were a bit different.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:07 AM

Have the same problem with magpies. Used to have other birds, including sparrows; now only magpies, an occasional crow, and a blue jay. Wish I could just shoot them away, but no shooting in town, obviously. It’s not just that the other birds are gone, but also the freaking noise. From early hours of the morning until late hours of the evening (and it gets dark much later here and light earlier).

It doesn’t help that they nested on a few of the neighbours’ trees. They do get extra loud with their offspring especially. Man… I’d take sparrows any day of the week over these (explicit language).
Old 07-10-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If your cat gets 30-40lbs there a real good chance it isn't a house cat.
My son has a 30lb satanic killing machine that he got from a shelter in Northern B.C. that is supposed to be a house cat lol. We jokingly say it must be part lynx because of its size and stubby tail

I have a buddy who won’t sleep in our living room unless the cat is put away downstairs after it randomly attacked him in his sleep

I wish I could give it to the OP because I hate the thing but it belongs to the kid. It killed almost every squirrel and bird on our acreage in Northern B.C. and we backed onto crown land so there was no lack of critters. The cat was even in doors majority of the time

Can’t remember its actual weight but the thing is big

Last edited by Smoky buck; 07-10-2023 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I feed the birds once we get a heavy frost and stop once the bugs show up.....like them to earn their keep

Good luck attempting to get ride of one type of bird.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2023, 08:00 AM

I pull mine to in the summer also, I get to many unwanted birds and can't keep up with feeding them.

I have a good population of Tree Swallows, Chickadee's and Robins in the summer, so the songs are still sung. I put out Nigel (spelling?) seeds for the Gold and Red Finch's, other birds don't seem to eat it.

I have had to shoot the odd Sparrow, but as my Tree Swallows have increased my Sparrows have decreased.

In winter I get a lot of birds at the feeders, it's my favorite time to feed.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:10 AM

My wife does the bird thing here at home and out at the trailer site and hates sparrows too. She read the type of food you feed and also the feeder type is key. Sparrows hate perches. Go to a feeder with small holes and perches on it such as the tubular style. She also feeds nyger seeds, suet in winter, and black sunflowers and we hardly get any sparrows other than a few that come in to check things out. They jump on a perch then leave a few seconds later if they come in at all. We tend to get chickadees, gold finches, nuthatches, downey's, hairy's, flickers to name a few. We also have a hummingbird feeder at the trailer that sparrows have no use for.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:44 AM

I go through a lot of bird food. I stopped using nyjer seed years ago because it was just getting too expensive. I use canola seed for the Goldfinches. Purple Finches and in the winter redpolls. They seem to enjoy canola just as much as nyjer and it’s a little easier on the wallet.

I do not have a House Sparrow problem now but when I lived in the city I noticed that once the sparrows learned how to crack open sunflower seeds they would take over the feeder.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:01 AM

A suspended wire that was hooked to say 110 and a switch may help.
I know not something the average joe should do but have seen them work.
Pretty effective.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:59 AM

Wants to feeds birds

Puts feed out for birds.

Whoops! But not those kind of birds!!

LOL.....