Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Default 2 Safaris!! The best wife ever?!?!

Ever since I was a kid I've dreamed of going to Africa on safari. Reading books and magazines about hunting adventures on the other side of the world has led to daydreaming many a time...

I have a very busy company and 2 kids (6 & 10) that take up most of mine and my wifes time. Trying to keep the business on the tracks and running kids to hockey, basketball and lacrosse is almost a full time job in itself. My wife and I appreciate the few moments we can spend with each other and relax when we can.

I drag my kids out hunting and fishing as much as possible and find they are just as eager to get out as I am. They've both been involved in successful hunts for elk, moose and deer, and love it!

Back on topic...
Part 1

So I have a few safari books and magazines in my 'trophy room' and my wife has been saying 'I don't know why you're thinking of that, I don't support you going there!' My wife is the polar opposite of me and the kids; she's a vegetarian, tree hugging, card carrying animal lover! Don't ask how we ended up together, lol! Because of this I kind of shelved the whole idea and settled on the conclusion that it would be something I'd do in my Golden Years.

So a few weeks back I get home, wash up and am relaxing on the couch with the kids and my wife comes over all loving. She was acting very odd and says she can't handle the pressure of keeping a 'secret' any longer, handing me an envelope. I'm thinking 'Oh-oh, am I being served divorce papers?' Lol (Not really, we are very happy!)
I have no clue as I open it what's inside...

I pull out a brochure and some literature with a card from my wife as well. So she has proclaimed her unfettered love and adoration for me (exaggerating a bit) and is sending me, my brother and 2 of my closest friends on a safari for my 40th birthday. Wow, never saw that one coming!!! The buggers knew about it and had been pretty good keeping it under wraps.

We are headed to White Lion Safaris this June, I can hardly wait!

Part 2

So apparently prior to settling on White Lion she had found another outfit in Namibia and had decided to book there. It was for 2 hunters, and as the plan progressed she decided to send the 4 of us, not 2. They weren't able to accommodate 4 of us so she kept looking and decided on White Lion. What to do with the other Safari? She says 'Take Kendyl next June for her 12th birthday present!' So we are going in June of 2015 with Jan Oelofse Safaris.

I'm completely blown away... June 2014 with my friends and June 2015 with my daughter!

Now all the planning and prep! Got my shots, have lists of gear and deciding what I would like to shoot and where! What's great is both of these outfits are in Calgary next month for the safari show! We are going to stay in town that weekend and attend a couple of days, go to a hockey game, drink and socialize!

The countdown begins!!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Very cool Stuff what a great gift!

I will be going March 23 with Alex Oelofse this will be my first safari so I will be sure to give you some feedback on our adventures

congrats on your very merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM

what business are you in??...:-)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Very nice. She have a twin by chance?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Very cool Stuff what a great gift!

I will be going March 23 with Alex Oelofse this will be my first safari so I will be sure to give you some feedback on our adventures

congrats on your very merry Christmas
Great! Look forward to hear how it goes!!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Thought I was lucky when my wife bought me a Sako Black Bear for Xmas...she'll have to read your Post for idea's for next year.
Probably will have to sell off one of the children to afford it though.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM

I've been waiting for this post since Rory told me. Sounds like a hell of a way to celebrate 40. Have fun guys, lots of pictures for those of us who have to live vicariously.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Very nice. She have a twin by chance?
Haha you're about to do your second in 3 years are you not?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I've been waiting for this post since Rory told me. Sounds like a hell of a way to celebrate 40. Have fun guys, lots of pictures for those of us who have to live vicariously.
Ya, it's gonna be a blast! Shane has pretty much known since summer, surprised he kept shut up! Gonna have to figure out how to post pics. Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Did you wake up yet? lol. Heck of a 40th, simply awesome
Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Ha that's funny.

I wondered how long it would take her to tell you. I had quite a few PM conversations with Shane and emails with your wife in regards to this. There is no doubt you will have an amazing time in Namibia with the Oelofse's. I've got a 14day hunt booked with them for May-2015 as well.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Haha you're about to do your second in 3 years are you not?
Yes but it took some serious begging and asking of permission. She didn't spring them on me.
You're right though Cam, I got a good one too.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Don

You Sir have a keeper.Congratulations.Enjoy and please post the pics
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM

You sure she's the opposite of you? Wow man, I'm so jealous of you in every good way. Here's hopin you have a great time and I'm lookin forward to the story and pics!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Ya she's definitely the opposite of myself when it comes to hunting! But she is super supportive and very giving which is much appreciated!
I gotta get her a great Xmas present and her 40th is in 2015... I gotta start planning that one...
Old 12-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Sounds like you are a lucky man in more ways than one!

Congrats!

She set the bar pretty high. I hope you come up with something good for hers!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 PM
AO Sponsor

That's one amazing wife....where did you find her? We are headed to Africa September of 2014...can't wait.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Ya she's definitely the opposite of myself when it comes to hunting! But she is super supportive and very giving which is much appreciated!
I gotta get her a great Xmas present and her 40th is in 2015... I gotta start planning that one...
Haha...little late on this thread. I can couch you are polar opposites when it comes to hunting. She is supportive though especially when it comes to getting the kids involved. I cant wait for the trip and im not sure how to thank her for putting this together.

Looking forward to a trip of a lifetime.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM

That is saaawwweeeeeetttt!!!!

You have yourself a real keeper.....someone that understands what is important to you regardless of the fact that she would never do it.

You are going to have a blast. I have been thinking about Africa as well and would love to go with Jan (Alex) as well. They really look after their trophies for their clients and after seeing some of the stuff that comes in from Africa.....I don't want my safari coming back as junk.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your adventures. Good luck and your second trip will be even more special sharing that with your daughter........very cool.

Congrats to your and a big congrats to your wife for understanding your passion enough to gift you with this...........Marco