Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Goat hunting BC.

Well I’m trying to get myself ready for a hunt in B.C. to hunt “The beast the colour of Winter”, the ever elusive (especially to us Albertans) Mountain Goat 🐐. I am an Alberta resident now (yes I’ll be hosted) but am no stranger to the areas that I am eligible as a non-resident to hunt. I grew up on Kinbasket Lake my family still owns and operates a trap line right on the lake in 7-02. So kind of my home turf, I could literally glass mountain goats from the beach at our cabin. That being said I’ve personally never chased after these crafty critters. Anyone have any advice that has tried this endeavour? Equipment that a guy should acquire, or things to prepare before hand to help make things go smoother. Obviously be in shape to climb and wear the right footwear. I’ve been studying maps and old harvest and population surveys. My “plan” isn’t until 2020 so I can get my self ready and dot all my “t’s” and cross all my “i’s” lol. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 PM

The first advice I have to offer is go this year before the rules change. The rest of the info can be gleaned from sheep hunting threads. And don't shoot one where it will fall and get smashed into little pieces or be impossible to retrieve.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Know the difference between a dry Nanny and a Billy.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
The first advice I have to offer is go this year before the rules change. The rest of the info can be gleaned from sheep hunting threads. And don't shoot one where it will fall and get smashed into little pieces or be impossible to retrieve.
What are the changes that are being made in regards to goat, I’m not aware?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 PM

I don't know of any specific changes, but the trend in BC hasn't been positive for hunters since the change in government. Kicking out the non residents will be near the top of the list I expect.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I don't know of any specific changes, but the trend in BC hasn't been positive for hunters since the change in government. Kicking out the non residents will be near the top of the list I expect.
Totally agree. Do it now. Tomorrow will be a different story
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
Totally agree. Do it now. Tomorrow will be a different story
X2. Canadian governments are unpredictable and do not necessarily embrace common sense these days. I can see this door shutting quickly.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 AM

Just an FYI but if you plan on hunting goats in 7-02, it wont be on a Accompany to Hunt permit. You'll have to choose a zone that's not LEH and that is listed in zones that they will approve Accompany to Hunt permits in.

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/...s/Region7a.pdf
Old 03-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Just an FYI but if you plan on hunting goats in 7-02, it wont be on a Accompany to Hunt permit. You'll have to choose a zone that's not LEH and that is listed in zones that they will approve Accompany to Hunt permits in.

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/...s/Region7a.pdf
Thanks, yes I’m aware I cannot hunter host in 7-02. I’m just saying I am familiar with the valley.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Only been on a few goat hunts. Didnt find it particularly hard.( other than chitting my pants when I got cliffed out in the fog) I personally liked the September hunt over the late season one. (Less fog) Most say to go late cause their fur is prime. The sept goat tasted pretty good. Goats are one tough animal they can suck up lead like no other. Put the bullet where it counts. Get a comfortable with long range shots, maybe even invest in high end turrent scope and range finder. When your up on the mt staring at the goats 600m away and there is no snow, they stick out like a sore thumb. You will be temped to shoot but without the right knowledge at that distance its a bad idea.
We just went for day hunts. I cant imagine sleeping in a tent in November on the side of a mt in a snow squall.
They spend time in different country in the early season as opposed to the late season. Know you can get to them before you shoot.
Many people have shot them on big cliffs and had them tumble down the mt. It happens often as that is the terrain they live in. If there is snow it can lessen the fall but you will have to make the call when your there as to if its worth the risk. You dont want the goat ruined or to end up un retrievable as that is just wrong.
Mt Goats are beautiful animals and live in beautiful country. Anyone that doesnt go on a goat hunt has really missed out on an awesome adventure.
What are you waiting for?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Balon View Post
Thanks, yes I’m aware I cannot hunter host in 7-02. I’m just saying I am familiar with the valley.
It is just as good as an adventure to tag along on the hunt as a non shooter. I would recommend your BC contacts put in for goats every year regardless in 7-02 and join them if they are drawn. 7-02 has some awesome counrty in it. The goats are right handy too. Just shoot, debone and pack down the slides.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
It is just as good as an adventure to tag along on the hunt as a non shooter. I would recommend your BC contacts put in for goats every year regardless in 7-02 and join them if they are drawn. 7-02 has some awesome counrty in it. The goats are right handy too. Just shoot, debone and pack down the slides.
Ya I’m trying to talk my dad into drawing in 7-02 he’s killed a few goats in that zone I over the years, it I’m not sure if he can handle a goat hunt anymore though.