Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Default New Gear Reviews

My season is over for 2017, and it has been a good season overall. I used a few new pieces of gear this fall, some that worked out well, and some that I won't use again. I started the upland season with a new pair of Meindl Ultralight boots, and they worked out very well. They are very light, required no break in, and were waterproof. The ice fishing sled from Cabelas worked great for getting our moose to the truck, and was a deal at $50 on sale. I used the shoulder length disposable gloves for cleaning our moose, with latex gloves over top, which worked well, but they do slide down, so a bit of tape helps to hold them up. I tried two Havalon knives with disposable blades, to clean moose, and I prefer my other knives. The Havalons did not stay sharp as long, and changing blades is not easy with fat and tissue frozen on. The best new gear by far was the Primos Triggersticks tripod. I used it for my pronghorn, and felt very comfortable shooting 300 yards with it fully extended. A bipod would have been useless because I needed to shoot standing up to see the buck in hilly terrain. My friend was very comfortable using the tripod this week to shoot our moose, and now he is going to buy his own and retire his bipod.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 AM

I used my Primos Triggersticks tripod too on a +300 yard shot at a Bull Moose, it steadied the rifle for a one shot kill and then it was used it to take pictures of the Moose.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the review, I may look into the trigger stick.
I have Meindle light weight leather hikers and like them also,
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM

My "new" gear review:

*Gators - not new but never really used them. Lots of different weather conditions this year, combined with lots of hiking. These really kept the snow out of my boots and kept my pantlegs cleaner.

*Kuiu Guide Pants and Jacket - again, lots of different weather in November (+20C one weekend, -24C the next). The pants were especially good, with the zippered vents being a great add there.

*Safari Sling - I can't believe I held out so long on changing to this, saved my back and shoulders on hikes, and freed up my hands when getting through steep terrain or dense brush.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My season is over for 2017, and it has been a good season overall. I used a few new pieces of gear this fall, some that worked out well, and some that I won't use again. I started the upland season with a new pair of Meindl Ultralight boots, and they worked out very well. They are very light, required no break in, and were waterproof. The ice fishing sled from Cabelas worked great for getting our moose to the truck, and was a deal at $50 on sale. I used the shoulder length disposable gloves for cleaning our moose, with latex gloves over top, which worked well, but they do slide down, so a bit of tape helps to hold them up. I tried two Havalon knives with disposable blades, to clean moose, and I prefer my other knives. The Havalons did not stay sharp as long, and changing blades is not easy with fat and tissue frozen on. The best new gear by far was the Primos Triggersticks tripod. I used it for my pronghorn, and felt very comfortable shooting 300 yards with it fully extended. A bipod would have been useless because I needed to shoot standing up to see the buck in hilly terrain. My friend was very comfortable using the tripod this week to shoot our moose, and now he is going to buy his own and retire his bipod.
I tried the Meindl Ultralight Boots from Cabelas and ended up returning them. I got a sour taste as soon as I opened the box and realized they were made by a different manufacturer than all their other high end boots. The fit didn't feel right but I did enjoy how light they were. After getting my feet soaked in wet grass on a couple of occasions, I went with the Elk Tracker 200 gram. In hind sight I should have tried the German made Perfekt Meindl from the bargain cave but had no confidence that the sizing would be anywhere near correct.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM

I love my Primos Trigger Stick. Ive had two a mono and now a double

http://amzn.to/2EXF06n

They are amazing!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Yup I love my primos tripod trigger sticks. I have the bipod as well which is great for sitting or kneeling shots but the tripod is fantastic for all shots. Shot my buck this year at 180 yds standing after a good walk and had no problem getting steady. I also really like my Alaska guide creations bino holder. It might be a bit bulky for bow hunting but for rifle it was great!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM

I got the large size Badlands bino case.
It fits my 8x32s and my range finder.
It is by far the best bino case yet.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 PM

New exo 5500 and 3500 bag only pack is on it's way to me
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
I used my Primos Triggersticks tripod too on a +300 yard shot at a Bull Moose, it steadied the rifle for a one shot kill and then it was used it to take pictures of the Moose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I love my Primos Trigger Stick. Ive had two a mono and now a double

http://amzn.to/2EXF06n

They are amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
Yup I love my primos tripod trigger sticks. I have the bipod as well which is great for sitting or kneeling shots but the tripod is fantastic for all shots. Shot my buck this year at 180 yds standing after a good walk and had no problem getting steady. I also really like my Alaska guide creations bino holder. It might be a bit bulky for bow hunting but for rifle it was great!
Have you guys used your Trigger Stick in the cold?

I have a mono for 10+ years and no problems, bought a tripod, Gen 2 and first time deer hunting, it froze up. It only works in warm temps. Not sure if that's is normal. It is a PITA as I got it specifically for blind hunting.

Cheers

SS
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
New exo 5500 and 3500 bag only pack is on it's way to me
I’m thinking of ordering a 5500 as well, give us an overall review once you get the pack.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 AM

No problems with my tripod trigger stick in the cold so far. Shot my elk this year off them at 625 yds, temp was -27C.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Pants??

I’m looking to upgrade from the blue jeans to a nice hiking pant. Something like the Kuiu guide pant or similar performance. It doesnt have to Have a fancy camo pattern but good quality. What are you guys using?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM

My Kuiu attack pants are the most comfy things I've ever worn. Have them in camo and a solid. Pricey but worth it. A little warm for early season stuff.

Just bought a pair of Prana Zion stretch pants from MEC for $85. They're super comfy as well and have rave reviews everywhere I've looked. Much better suited for early season.

J
Old 03-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
I’m thinking of ordering a 5500 as well, give us an overall review once you get the pack.
Will do
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Kuiu Guide Jacket and Pants: Absolutely fantastic throughout the season, I was super impressed by the water resistance of these items. I had two buddies that went and ordered guide gear at the end of the season.

Kuiu Snap Shirt and Super Down Vest: Both worked great for layering and packed down to the size of a pop can. Also fantastic for everyday wear.

Gerber Vital and Big Game Vital: Used these from fish to bucks this year, really impressed. Still would use a regular fixed blade around bone as I caught and snapped the blades while breaking down rear quarters.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Trigger Sticks that freeze up are warrantied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post

I have a mono for 10+ years and no problems, bought a tripod, Gen 2 and first time deer hunting, it froze up. It only works in warm temps. Not sure if that's is normal. It is a PITA as I got it specifically for blind hunting.

Cheers

SS
These have a lifetime unconditional warranty. I had to pay to send mine back to their offices in Ontario, but in return I received a new set that worked perfectly.

Unlike yours, mine were abused by the owner (me) and they didn't care. There are costly to ship because of their shape and size, but here is no sense having such an expensive item that doesn't work.

Bushnell Canada is the place, but it's easy to find online, with instructions about filling out the return form etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I’m looking to upgrade from the blue jeans to a nice hiking pant. Something like the Kuiu guide pant or similar performance. It doesnt have to Have a fancy camo pattern but good quality. What are you guys using?
I use various pants, and love my Kuiu Attack, but they are warm for early season. So I have some MEC hikers and a pair of King camo pattern that are lighter as well as a pair of upland pants that are the same colour as a stubble field in fall, a common colour in southern Alberta, including Milk River coulees in September and October. It's hard to beat MEC hikers and climbing pants for price and comfort and durability. (I know many dislike MEC's social policies - I don't buy enough that they will ever notice if I take my business elsewhere. They have great products.)

You will always need more than one pair of pants depending on the weather but Kuiu Guide or Attack is a great start.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post

Cheers

SS
For blind hunting I use the Deadshot Fieldpod, works great.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:23 PM

Anyone find a good day pack that can haul a heavy load comfortably. I bought a North Face pack from wholesale sports a couple of years ago and it is fine but once you put about 25 pounds in the pack it becomes uncomfortable. I like packs where the hip belt is right at the bottom of the pack so that the bottom of the pack is not hanging over your butt. thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 06:00 PM

Exp mountain gear had a nice day pack with an external frame and Mystery ranch has a few options.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
These have a lifetime unconditional warranty. I had to pay to send mine back to their offices in Ontario, but in return I received a new set that worked perfectly.

Unlike yours, mine were abused by the owner (me) and they didn't care. There are costly to ship because of their shape and size, but here is no sense having such an expensive item that doesn't work.

Bushnell Canada is the place, but it's easy to find online, with instructions about filling out the return form etc.
Thanks, will do that!! I just sent two pairs of bino's to them. I will assume it is the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
For blind hunting I use the Deadshot Fieldpod, works great.
I have on of those as well and use it most of the time, but sometimes I like the option of still hunting/blinds.

Thanks for the answers guys!!

Cheers

SS
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Exo

Quote:

I just bought the exo 3500. It is pricy to get Alberta and the USD sucks right now. But it’s going to get worse so I’m going to suck it up and buy some now. I didn’t go with the 5500 even though it can compress nice down to the size of a day bag for the hunts I do I don’t need a 10 day bag. THe 3500 will get me and my gear 4-5kms off the road for the weekend and that’s what I’ll use it for.
I went with exo over all the other high end brands because I liked the pockets and the design. But it ALL comes down to personal preference. The high end bags will all do the job, it’s more for bragging rights at the high end level.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

I picked up the "Solo Hunter" Bino Harness and Rifle cover. Ya, I got sucked in by the relentless advertising but both products are really nice and were reasonable priced. I especially like the bino harness. I use it all the time. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I also picked up a Trigger stick bi-pod and in hindsight wish I had bought the tri-pod for the added stability.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM

I really enjoyed the wool pants I purchased from Gostwear last season. The regular wool pant is warmer than the Merino wool but the Merino are much lighter and equally useful when it is not extremely cold. Made in Canada, extremely well put together and great customer service. It has been many years since I hunted in wool after buying into the "latest and greatest" and I had forgotten how quiet and warm it is.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Hanwag Alaska GTX are my first high end boot. I don't think i will be going back, and hanwag will always been some of the first that i try on. I would recommend them to anyone. being in BC on the coast last year chasing black tails i was surprised how dry my feet stayed, and also how warm when it got cold in the interior.

Sitka Mountain pants were good as well, the pads in the knees sure help when gutting on the ground. Kept my dry on the coast and warm in the late season.

Browning HC 300win was nice to shoot, the muzzle break gets in the way though as its 2" longer , and doesn't seem to be needed. Accurate, but only had shorter shots lots year. Will be nice to see how it handles on longer shots this year.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=Moe.JKU;3752467]Hanwag Alaska GTX are my first high end boot. I don't think i will be going back, and hanwag will always been some of the first that i try on. I would recommend them to anyone. being in BC on the coast last year chasing black tails i was surprised how dry my feet stayed, and also how warm when it got cold in the interior.

I bought a pair of these on Kijiji... like new... and I researched boots in depth before my purchase... I must say that these boots are extremely comfortable and good for 3 seasons... maybe 4 if you are always on the move. I used them in deep snow, but was always moving, feet stayed dry and warm, but would not recommend them for siting still in a blind for hours on end
Old 03-17-2018, 07:13 AM

This came access my emails today, have a look maybe safe a few pounds for somebody. 1 pound tent

https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html
Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Got 16 real wing 360`s decoys on motion poles worked great in low wind, for movement in the spread, the snow geese loved them.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I have First lite Corrugate guide pants and really like them. I have the SKRE Hard scrabble pants as well and they served me very well in the Willmore last fall. As a side note, check out the Wrangler hiking pants at Walmart.. What a value for a pretty technical pant.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk