Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Icky Fly Works

After using icky fly works on here a few times, I believe it is in order to get them a shoutout. I have talked to Ben a few times and his customer service has honestly been unbelievable. He has done everything from getting in custom patterns for me to helping try and figure out what a random fly pattern was called that I lost on the river one day. I also had a buddy order flies from them and had one eye break off and icky sent 6 replacement flies free of charge.
My latest order left me really impressed and figured I should share and let everyone know how great this sponsor of AO is. I ordered about 70 flies on Wednesday night at 8 pm and this order has already arrived to me, in less than 2 days! This was just phenomenal! Not to mention that the flies are absurdly cheap and even cheaper considering that we get an AO discount by clicking on the banner above. The next time you go to order flies, give icky and thought and help to support this great local business.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:41 PM

100% agree. Love Icky.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:21 PM

Great company to buy from.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Great company. Great guy, and bugs don't fall apart as soon as they hit the water. I have always gotten extra flies in my orders.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up 10-4

Icky has given me great service and good quality. I usually make two orders a year. I'm very indecisive.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:25 PM

Great service! Decent quality flies at a good price, and they always throw in some bonus flies. Order placed middle of last week, got it Monday arranged in plastic cases. Ready to get them wet now!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 PM

Icky is A-1. Been buying 80% of my flies from them for 5 yrs+ and never had a problem. Buy with conidence!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 PM

Does anybody here know what type of hooks are used?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Does anybody here know what type of hooks are used?
From the icky website in FAQs;

"Most of our flies are tied on Mustad hooks which are made from high carbon steel which is chemically-etched to ensure the sharpest point and double bronze finished to prevent rusting. We also carry patterns that have been tied on Maruto or Daiichi hooks."
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM

Another kudos to Icky Flyworks! Great product...awesome service!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 AM

I tie my own flies, but on occasion I have purchased from Icky and the quality of his flies, prices and service is above and beyond!!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM

After reading this and looking over the website I think I'll be placing an order. Do you guys get the packs or order singles?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2016, 02:13 PM

Placed an order Thursday afternoon and they just arrived!!! Awesome service and great prices.

Brandon. I usually pick my own flies.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Anybody know why Icky flyworks website is down. They say it's because of the pending postal strike, but i thought that was a thing of the past
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Anybody know why Icky flyworks website is down. They say it's because of the pending postal strike, but i thought that was a thing of the past
The postal strike was postponed but the issue has not been resolved yet and if negotiations fall apart they could still go on strike.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM

I was not impressed with them. Emailed them a few times about things I wanted to order but never received any responses back from them. I only deal with reelflies now.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-27-2016, 05:22 PM

Default Icky

Very good service on several orders.very quick responses to any questions.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM

Icky has been great for me as well. Good quality flies and a better selection than WSS or Cabelas. Gets to me fast too.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:41 PM

I mainly tie my own.... But these guys do a great job!

I've order a couple dozen over years when I'm behind.....

Top notch company. Good quality flies.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 PM
AO Sponsor

Hi all,

We expect the webstore to be back up in about a week's time assuming the CP negotiations don't go sideways.

Sureshot - I try to be as responsive as possible to any enquiries. I apologize if any e-mails went unreplied am I'm surprised that this is the case. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 PM

I've been very pleased with the service and flies from Icky. I've had one small problem (in many years ordering from them) that was very promptly resolved, over and above what I would ever have expected. This Ben guy is on top of it!

HK
Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 PM

I've used them too and have always been impressed. Decent price and good quality flies. Shipping was fast too, never experienced any problems with them.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
After using icky fly works on here a few times, I believe it is in order to get them a shoutout. I have talked to Ben a few times and his customer service has honestly been unbelievable. He has done everything from getting in custom patterns for me to helping try and figure out what a random fly pattern was called that I lost on the river one day. I also had a buddy order flies from them and had one eye break off and icky sent 6 replacement flies free of charge.
My latest order left me really impressed and figured I should share and let everyone know how great this sponsor of AO is. I ordered about 70 flies on Wednesday night at 8 pm and this order has already arrived to me, in less than 2 days! This was just phenomenal! Not to mention that the flies are absurdly cheap and even cheaper considering that we get an AO discount by clicking on the banner above. The next time you go to order flies, give icky and thought and help to support this great local business.
Thanks for the review, good to know.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:49 AM
Banned

Good stuff
Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 PM

100% agree. Had a problem with an order once and they bent over backwards to make it right. Awesome to deal with!! Think I am going to go place an order now.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 PM

Ordered from them because of all the hype and received my order surprisingly quick. And 4 extra flies to boot. I'll be purchasing from them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 PM

Just put in a rather large order on Monday evening, and received them on Wednesday. Outstanding service and pricing. Now the only issue was my wife (who never picks up the mail) decides to pick up the mail. Next question "What did you just order?" It was sent by express post (totally expecting snail mail, but Ben from Icky was nice enough to expedite my order).....So now all of my poker winnings from a recent game are gone and she is on to me.....and my addiction with flies. But great flies, service and will be definitely going back when I "need" more. Have recommended to quite a few guys who have been extremely satisfied too.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 AM

anyone have a phone number for Ben at Icky? I placed a large order...requested delivery this week...went on holidays...saw a delivery notice that the package was sent...was forwarded a Canada Post tracking number that did not work.

Thanks

SDF
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
anyone have a phone number for Ben at Icky? I placed a large order...requested delivery this week...went on holidays...saw a delivery notice that the package was sent...was forwarded a Canada Post tracking number that did not work.

Thanks

SDF
Hi Sundance - PM sent.

Regards,
Ben
Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyFlyWorks View Post
Hi Sundance - PM sent.

Regards,
Ben
Thanks

We have connected.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin