Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Bulkley River by Smithers

Hello,
Me and my wife are planning a trip to the Bulkley River by Smithers to fly fish for steelheads and Chinooks around the end of August 2018. I was hoping for any information where one could wade in and what flies to use? We both do have pontoons, if that is a possibility on the Bulkley

Thank you so much
Mike
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Late August can be a tough time, chinooks are long gone for the most part other than the odd old spawner. As for steelhead you will be at the very beginning. The fish move quick through the system. I use to fish the first week often.

They can be caught on dryflies or wet flies. Black/blue black/purple orange/red or traditional stuff like green butt skunks, charms and general practitioners are the old standards that a lot of us fish!

Pontoons are great. You can get self shuttle through a lot of the river. It is very similar to the bow above telkwa for structure. Below Smithers can be a little harder to float but still very doable.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 PM

Thank you for the tips. Maybe we will try to switch our vacation and head up in July