Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Default Office or on the floor?

Just curious about experience and/or opinions on this.

Who here works behind a desk all day long? Who grinds it out doing physical labor? Would you change anything if you could?

I came from a physical labor type position (welder), and am now increasingly finding myself behind a desk and computer as QC. Not that I don't appreciate having myself an office, and not beating my aging body up, but I find it draining in it's own way. I try to be out on the floor as much as I can. Certainly don't want to go back to the old daily grind, but it's hard being cooped up when you spent many years building things with you hands....

Thoughts/experiences?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Get up, get active, enjoy the complete job package...maybe take on a few comfy welding gigs maybe mentoring a job or assisting...welders helper

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM

I went from being a journeyman carpenter to an engineering technologist. They both have their challenges, one physical and the other mental. I don't work behind a desk all day but I do have a desk that I need to be at a certain amount of time. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to leave my desk whenever I feel like it and go out into the field. I used to think that those who work behind desks all day long had no idea what it was like to work in the field, and a lot of them don't. I now know that working behind the desk can be substantially more draining than working in the field. Believe me, there are certain times when I wish I was back working physically etc as it is a lot less taxing on the brain, and is actually quite therapeutic mentally. I went back to school as an adult to take engineering and it was the best thing I ever did. Although I spend time in the field, it is not in a physical way anymore and my body thanks me for it. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. But I know that I would never trade what I'm doing now to go back to a physical job, but it sure feels good to fetch your own firewood or build your own garage, or hang some drywall.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:59 PM

After years working in construction and other physical environments I went back to school as well in my early 40's and now work in an office/classroom type setting.

My work is helping others with training and finding employment. I miss the physical work a great deal, but find that now I have more energy in the evenings and weekends to pursue sports and recreation, so I stay active.

...and when one of my guys starts talking about how hard it is tying rebar as they ride the down slope to 50, I realize how good I have it.

I have insane respect for those on the tools later on in life

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 PM

My job is crunching numbers, supervising people, meeting with execs everyday. The majority if which is looking at the puter screen....tiny numbers are getting harder to see

I wish I had a better balance with more physical labour but haven't found that role yet that provides the benefits of the current job.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post

Office or on the floor? . . .

Over the years, I've done a mix of both ... both separately, and both together. The jobs I've enjoyed the most were the latter, where I had an office, but also spent a lot of time in the field.

To each, their own.

Selkirk
Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 PM

I’d consider my self a behind the desk guy. I assist in the running of a 50,000 sq foot Warehouse and we run 38 trucks daily within Edmonton. I start at 630 daily checking emails. From 715 I’m working with dispatch setting up the days runs. At 800 my 7 man dock crew arrives and by 1030 all 38 trucks are loaded an out the door. I supervise the entire picking and loading process.

The entire operation is 75 people. I run health and safety, some sales, customer service. Approve vendor invoices, truck maintenance, hiring, discipline, claims, and a select few AR accounts,etc. Usually out the door by 430 and my phone is always on. And I love it! Been in the industry for almost 38 years no plans to stop I cannot stand being idle on less I have a fishing rod in my hands.

BW
Old 11-26-2017, 06:30 PM

Default In the field

I'm an electrician and spent most of my apprenticeship in the oilfield doing hard work. Now I'm a maintenance electrician at a plant back in BC and it is tough to get used to the pace at said plant...I maybe do a quarter of the work I used to do in the day and I am being told I'm doing too much haha. I think I found a good balance now...still keep somewhat busy but don't break my back..
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM

I talk, I type, I sit. I walk to other places in the building to sit and talk.
I'm retiring soon and don't have any aches and pains to deal with, so I'm good with my decision. I HAVE had to deal with a lot of stress over my career that I think those working with their hands perhaps haven't had to face. Lots of laying awake at 3 a.m. wondering if I made a costly mistake. I won't miss that.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Don't miss my desk....not even a little. Made a career change recently and am not looking back. The desk work and stress was slowly killing me.

Training seals and dolphins isn't the easiet job in the world, but someone has to do it....
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Plant maintenance, but is still physical (tin basher). Hoping to do some sort of logistics related role later in life.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Swamped and become a heavy equipment operator in a pipe yard and warehouse for 10 years. Then sales for the balance and now at 59, semi retired working from home and starting a business with a partner. Last couple of years have been great. Sit at the desk a little, travel a little, do some yard work whenever it suits me.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 PM

I spend most of my work days driving or behind a desk, but I also run a 100 cows so I get plenty of fresh air and exercise on the weekends and evenings.

4 years ago I worked in downtown Calgary for a year and found that I was losing my will to live without getting any physical activity. It was good experience but I was happy to get back out to the field.

I find driving the worst, as I load up on junk food whenever I stop for fuel.

Gerry Burnie