Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Smoking Burgers

Just bought my first smoker yesterday, and seasoned it according to instructions.
Master built sportsman elite electric. I have never smoked so I would like to start with something simple. I plan on doing up 4 elk burgers tonight. How long and how much wood do I use? I have cherry and Hickory.
Would anybody like to share their recipe ?
Thanks
Old 11-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

I've never had a better burger than this. don't know how it would work out with elk - but with half and half ground beef and pork - oh my... Stuff them with whatever you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2kmbI_1EA
Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM

I think hickory would be better than cherry. Birch or alder are my favorite smoke on big game meat.
I see Masterbuilt's website has a few recipes for burgers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I've never had a better burger than this. don't know how it would work out with elk - but with half and half ground beef and pork - oh my... Stuff them with whatever you want.

Never heard of these guys till today but what amazing food they cook....Next up in my deep fryer is a prime rib roast
Old 11-25-2017, 01:28 PM

I did a bacon wrapped meatloaf once, pretty darn good. I don't have a website to send you to but look for how to basket weave bacon.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Thick beef burgers are really good smoked. Probably even better with elk. Sprinkle on you favorite rub and let them set on the counter to bring to room temperature, I use a meat thermometer in one of the burgers to tell the doneness. They are good right out of the smoker but I like to finish about a minute on a hot bbq grill.

BTW pork is cheap and I think that it was created just for the smoker and it is near impossible not to make it taste good.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Thick beef burgers are really good smoked. Probably even better with elk. Sprinkle on you favorite rub and let them set on the counter to bring to room temperature, I use a meat thermometer in one of the burgers to tell the doneness. They are good right out of the smoker but I like to finish about a minute on a hot bbq grill.

BTW pork is cheap and I think that it was created just for the smoker and it is near impossible not to make it taste good.
Good advice all the way around there!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Damn!! Those look good!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
Damn!! Those look good!
Made them twice on the BBQ, indirect heat. Stuffed the first time with 3 kinds of cheese. Second time with caramelized onions, peppers and cheeses and a bit of apple smoke. If you use a bun, you'll need a big mouth Ketchup and other condiments almost ruin it.

i'd love to try the stuffed gator. Only ever had gator in sausage and jambalaya, but so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZhnpAhYmb0

Last edited by silverdoctor; 11-25-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:20 PM

With ground meat on a smoker, I might consider the cherry wood. Hickory is a fairly strong smoke. My favourite, but fairly potent. With ground meat you will get a deep smoke ring and heavy smoke penetration. The hickory MAY be a bit overwhelming if you don't eat a lot of smoked foods. If you slather it with some kind of wet rub, it will limit smoke penetration.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
With ground meat on a smoker, I might consider the cherry wood. Hickory is a fairly strong smoke. My favourite, but fairly potent. With ground meat you will get a deep smoke ring and heavy smoke penetration. The hickory MAY be a bit overwhelming if you don't eat a lot of smoked foods. If you slather it with some kind of wet rub, it will limit smoke penetration.
I only use dry rubs and since I started eating smoked food I don't even use bbq sauce on non smoked food cook on a grill.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Just bought my first smoker yesterday, and seasoned it according to instructions.
Master built sportsman elite electric. I have never smoked so I would like to start with something simple. I plan on doing up 4 elk burgers tonight. How long and how much wood do I use? I have cherry and Hickory.
Would anybody like to share their recipe ?
Thanks
Hope he didn't eat too much, and just slept in.LOL
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys for all the help. I got tied up yesterday and never got around to smoking. I am just warming up the smoker now so stay tuned. I will spiced them up like I do normally and put them in for couple hrs. check internal temp . I just don't know how much smoke to apply. 1/2 the cooking time or full cooking time.
I hope the temp gauge is somewhat accurate.

Thanks to all those that Pm'd me with info. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Meatloaf and Burgers smoked are the only way we eat them now

Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I used hickory for 2-3 hours on meatloaf and burgers and it always has the perfect amount of smoke to it
Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help. I got tied up yesterday and never got around to smoking. I am just warming up the smoker now so stay tuned. I will spiced them up like I do normally and put them in for couple hrs. check internal temp . I just don't know how much smoke to apply. 1/2 the cooking time or full cooking time.
I hope the temp gauge is somewhat accurate.

Thanks to all those that Pm'd me with info. I really appreciate it.
Smoke depends on how much you like. Some just can not get enough. Me, I like it subtle and about 40 minutes suits my taste on burgers.

I use a thermometer inside of meat to determine doneness. Some smokers are not even close with the temperature inside smoker.

If I need to be accurate I push a probe all the way through a small potato and extend the wire outside. Place the potato on the same level your food is cooking. I am not much for smoked potatoes but my dogs are and they can hardly wait till they are cooled.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Smoke depends on how much you like. Some just can not get enough. Me, I like it subtle and about 40 minutes suits my taste on burgers.

I use a thermometer inside of meat to determine doneness. Some smokers are not even close with the temperature inside smoker.

If I need to be accurate I push a probe all the way through a small potato and extend the wire outside. Place the potato on the same level your food is cooking. I am not much for smoked potatoes but my dogs are and they can hardly wait till they are cooled.
This is a great unit
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01J173EAA?...=4135641890401
Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I used hickory for 2-3 hours on meatloaf and burgers and it always has the perfect amount of smoke to it
No argument there from me. I do the same thing. A new smoker isn't aware of his or his audiences tolerance for smoke however. I prefer to work up to an amount of smoke I like rather than throttling out of oversmoked meats. Like my initial post said, "MAY" be too smoky.

I've got jalapeno poppers on the smoker as we speak.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No argument there from me. I do the same thing. A new smoker isn't aware of his or his audiences tolerance for smoke however. I prefer to work up to an amount of smoke I like rather than throttling out of oversmoked meats. Like my initial post said, "MAY" be too smoky.

I've got jalapeno poppers on the smoker as we speak.
Oh for sure!

The family just had a feed on the 2 garlic pepper pulled pork roasts I did
Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Well..... First time ever and I think I may have over smoked and the meat was to dry. 1 pound of elk, seasoning and bbq sauce. 220degree with water pan. One tray of hickory and 1 tray of cherry over about 1.5 hours . Flavour was ok but I think a bit too much.
I guess it will take a whole lot of trying before I understand the whole process. I plan on doing a small batch of ground jerky on Monday.
I was surprised that the electronic temp gauge was pretty close to the oven gauge I put in side at the same place as the burgers. And it held the temperature pretty good outside with no cover to protect from wind and cold.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 PM

^^^^^^^ I think that the dryness may not be because of the smoke but because of the cooking. Using a smoker certainly has a learning curve to it and when you think you have it mastered something else will come up. Recently I was perplexed when everything I tried to smoke was over smoked no matter the time of the smoke. A forum member suggest a simple cleaning that solved my problem.

Good luck in all your future cooks.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well..... First time ever and I think I may have over smoked and the meat was to dry. 1 pound of elk, seasoning and bbq sauce. 220degree with water pan. One tray of hickory and 1 tray of cherry over about 1.5 hours . Flavour was ok but I think a bit too much.
I guess it will take a whole lot of trying before I understand the whole process. I plan on doing a small batch of ground jerky on Monday.
I was surprised that the electronic temp gauge was pretty close to the oven gauge I put in side at the same place as the burgers. And it held the temperature pretty good outside with no cover to protect from wind and cold.
Get the process perfected, then go for prime rib.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Ground meat really soaks up the smoke. I bet your pink smoke ring was 3/8" thick. It is quite overpowering. Also the smoker likely didn't dry out your burgers, the elk was likely too lean to begin with. You need fat to maintain moisture. I have not tried it but some people I have spoken with put oil right into there sausage or burgers to increase fat and moisture.

Don't get discouraged, try ribs or something. Google a 3-2-1 rib recipe and build up your confidence. Ground meat is a tough smoke in my opinion. I'd prefer a brisket or ribs to a burger as a novice smoker.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That is the joy of having a smoker, you get to do it over and over again until you get it right.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Get the process perfected, then go for prime rib.
Prime rib is easier than lean ground game because of the fat content and because it does not need to be done to as high an internal temperature.

Prime rib is very easy to work with in the smoker or on the bbq but it is expensive. Brisket used to be my go to for a cheap but good meal, but its popularity has raised its price. Ground meat needs a bit of fat or it will be dry at higher internal temperatures. I would mix pork with the ground to keep it moist.

For me pork is easiest to work with. Reasonable price and a fatty cut like a shoulder roast is just about impossible to overcook and ruin. Cooked to high internal temperature it can be pulled and sauced. A bit less internal and it lakes wonderful sliced roast. It can be started on the smoker then finished on a grill for a nice crust or started on the smoker then finished on a slow cooker.
Those cheap blade steaks turn out great on the smoker and shoulder roast cut in smaller chunks can be cured and then finished in the smoker to make some kick butt bacon.

If you want to practice pork is cheap and good. My only worry about pork is that the more popular this cheaper meat becomes the more chance there is that price will be raised like brisket and flank was.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Brisket is 5.15 a pound this morning. It was 3.60 in the summer. Manitoba price.