Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Default College Final Project

I am a first year student of Olds College Alberta and am studying in Apparel Technology. I am currently working on a final project that involves designing clothing for trapping. I would like to get a feel of what is wanted in outer wear with winter trapping and what kinds of clothing you are using now (brands and styles would be great to know)
Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Fur!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

clothing for trappers needs to be warm, water proof, and you need to be able to access pockets - zippers - with gloves on. Coveralls are nice for warmth and keeping clean. legs should be big enough to pull on and off with boots on.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM

you should try to contact ARC'TERYX. they're a great canadian company, i'm sure you know of them. they have an excellent student internship program and make cold weather clothing for military application not available to the public.

every thing brain said is key. personally, i walk alot and need to stay dry or risk hypothermia. i wear long underwear,wool pants underneath SIMMS goretex breathable chest waders. instead of wading boots, i use hiking boots(one size bigger than i normally wear)danner pronghorns. the breathable waders are great because i can hike all day,not sweat and stay dry at any temp(+5 to -35)

uptop, layers, wool shirt, breathable gortex SIMMS rainjacket/shell for an outer layer.

the biggest problem with most jackets for me, is the zippers. they all inevitable fail.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Smile college final project

This is from the Lady Trapper's point of view layer... dress like an onion...because sometimes we take a" Tropical vacation" and never leave the bush (hot flashes) bulky is not good so thin layers of natural materials are the best also the outer layer should shed snow a tight weave material is good.....foot wear should be light weight and easy to walk in and have good traction...for us coverall's are not great when Mother Nature calls so two piece outfits are better and instead of wide legs maybe zippers or drawstrings to prevents a draft or snow coming in it will depend on what type of area your trapping in as to what your clothing needs and choices will be what works well in some places is not good in others

thanks just some thoughts from crabtree and tag-a-long ....good luck on your project Jennifer